Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball 2019 Recruiting Class/Draft added blake purnell tweet

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Sep 11, 2018.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sully and staff have demonstrated the ability to take top players from rival team's commitment lists.

This 2019 class includes the following poached players and there may be more:

Hunter Barco from Virginia
    Matthew Allen from the Miami Canes
    Tyler Nesbitt from Florida Gulf Coast
    Tyler Owens from FSU

All pitchers.

A nice skill to have and we will be seeing more of this.

Last year we got Catcher Anthony Siegler from Auburn after the coach recruiting him left. Siegler steadily rose in the pro rankings, was drafted by the Yankees in the first round...and yes, did sign with NY.

I still smile though when I remember Siegler explaining his switch to the Gators: "With Florida I get to go to the College World Series in Omaha."

An effective way to sell a recruit.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Going to be exciting in the coming seasons especially when the new stadium becomes available. New digs + Sully = gonna crush it!

Curious to see how attendance evolves too.

I was half hoping Stricklin would bring some “Mississippi State magic “ in getting students to attend more. The Mac is right there by Frat Row...a variety of dorms, etc. too. New venue will be removed from that “ease” of convenient proximity.

Maybe borrow from Mississippi state and let student groups and frats *create* “party fan wagons” (like Swamp buggies) that can bring loads of fans to the game and park along the outfield fence...?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The Mac never could have done this. The right field side was too close to Stadium Drive and the left field side had the "high rent" parking. I got to park there once when I was "hooding" two PhD's at a commencement. Neither was one of my students and I was just the co-advisor for both which means that i helped them a lot, but got little credit for it.

4. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Yeah, Mac can’t, but maybe the new venue can...although I don’t think they will. Probably shuttle students to games on modified golf carts, like they did on orange and blue weekend - between softball and football games.

But I think it might be fun for frats to have a party wagon. Fit it with a keg....designated driver. Grill. Etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    The updated Perfect Game rankings are out for 2019 class. UF has 4 of the top 13 and 9 of the top 100. UF has the highest avg player at 9.78. Vandy is second at 9.58. Vandy ranks one spot ahead based on total points. 8 of top 13 classes are SEC.

Currently on the list are:

2. Riley Greene
    9. Hunter Barco
    11. Matthew Allan
    13. Jud Fabian
    41. Joshua Rivera
    73. Tyler Owens
    85. Issac Nunez
    90. Tyler Nesbitt
    95. Nolan Crisp

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What’s the consensus? Top 4 unlikely to see the campus, or what?

7. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Mixed at this stage of the game. Most of it will depend on the high school season and how they show for the scouts. Hard to say on the pitchers. You only have so many bullets in the arm. The benefit of the situation is Sully and how he has helped big arms in the past.

The hitters in my opinion will be split. Riley will probably be taken high enough the money will be hard to turn down. Jud is scheduled to enroll early.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    bogey—

The W.A.G. method has always been the preferred method of the experts—

9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hey 23, do you have any updates on our top recruits and how they are looking in the draft or coming to Florida? Obviously we know about Jud and Crisp but any info on the incoming pitchers and prospects would be particularly helpful. Thanks

10. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    Do we lose McConnell or does he come back?

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    KG—

No inside information here, but I expect him to go.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Even at this point there is so much unknown. The info out there could be totally true or totally manipulated to try and impact who thinks what. I have spoken to a few of the parents and they are still in the dark. Right now there is a lot of smoke but not anything substantial. It will be wild on this side of the fence to see how it plays out. I have relationships with some of the parents for a decade now. Wish them the best but hope that UF is the best for them too!

From what I gather there is a lot of testing the waters to see where guys "numbers" are. I personally do not like the current system as it is based on talent but also "signability". Teams will take less talent to spread money over more guys. Look at the number one pick a few years ago. Phillies took a kid who discounted the number to be the number one. Teams also will try to get guys to put out a super high number so they can take them at a realistic number later when they have scared everyone else off.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    23—

You are so right on this—As the years continue to pile up it seems more and more evident that where you are selected in the first year player draft is more about signability than about talent or projectability for advancement—Lord knows, owners don’t want to be made to look bad with any of their decisions—(you know it’s a business, not a game)—

Just my opinion, but this is where players that want where they are chosen to be a direct reflection on their talent becomes frustratingly confusing with why they are chosen where they are (signability)—

14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Much respect and thanks for any info. Unfortunately this makes too much sense and is well worded. I'll hold on and wait for the real answers to play out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    A relevant point will be if any good catchers emerge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Holy moldy, that’s quite the shell game going on!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lots has to do with how teams develop players, especially pitchers. Some organizations abuse kids and ruin their arms and careers while some take their time. If I had a son with good pitching prospects coming out of high school and teh wrong organization drafted him i would tell them that going to college or junior college was their best option.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Draft starts tomorrow at 7pm.

19. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Lurk with the format of the slotted draft, the issue you discuss happens very little. Now teams contact players and find out what their number is to sign. If you have a good adviser (agent, but for amateur terms the good ol NCAA likes adviser word better) you pretty much know who is picking you. IF you do not like the scouts, program etc. you give them a higher number so you scare them off or be compensated higher if they must take you.

The first round is tonight. If you talk to an adviser who is in the know I am betting they can tell you how the first round will play out. Now sure there can be some slight changes but I would be they have it down to 2 or 3 slots variation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Noah_Brindise

Noah_Brindise Sophomore

Oct 28, 2014

Seems like Allan will be tough sign for teams if that $4 million report is correct, which would bode well for us.