Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball 2019 Recruiting Class/Draft added blake purnell tweet

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Sep 11, 2018.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Pro Draft is scheduled shortly - June 3-5.

This incoming class is loaded at all positions - infielders, outfielders, starting/relief pitchers and catchers. Suffice it to say we need help everywhere.

Sully and gang can definitely recruit. The 2019 class is loaded with talent. As with last years group it is led by a number of players rather consistently ranked among the top high schoolers nationwide and therefore not too likely to end up on campus. (During the season it is common for other commits to rise in the pros rankings so this group could grow in number.) These are:

Pitcher Hunter Barco - 6-4 lefty out of Bolles in Jax. FB steady around 91 and has 3 effective pitches. 2 different ranking services had him as the 4th overall pick in the next draft. Recently flipped his commitment from University of Virginia to Florida. Drafted Round 24 #718, by Mets - GATOR

Pitcher Matthew Allen - 6-3 righty out of Seminole High. 95 FB. Breaking ball his best pitch. Former Canes commit. Drafted Round 3, #89, by Mets - SIGNED

Outfielder Riley Green - 6-2 with speed, 6.62 runner. Per Perfect Game may be top hitter in his class. Drafted Round 1, #5, by Detroit Tigers - SIGNED

Jud Fabian was on some of those lists but has fallen off since his early enrollment announcement to UF.

Outfielder Austin Brinling - 5-9 162 Bradenton.

Outfielder Brock Edge from Santa Fe CC. Son of former Gator punter Shayne.

This class has some really nice infielders - truly a need. They are:

Isaac Nunez - SS, said to have excellent fielding skills.

Joshua Rivera - 3B/SS Top infielding ability. Said also to be a great batter. Drafted Round 22, #653, by San Diego - GATOR

Kevin Martin - 1st baseman 6-4 220. Miami St. Brendan. I'd love to see more Miami players at UF.

Andrew Roberts - 3b - Top hitter. Named to 2018 Underclass 1st team.

There are two highly rated catchers:

Nathan Hickey - 6-0 205 - great lefty hitter with strong "catch and throw" skills. Said to also be a mid infielder who can play a number of positions.

Matthew Powell - 6-2 185. Named to "2017 Underclass Top Prospect" list. Also a good hitter. Pop time of 1.84. Bishop Verot teammate of 2022 UF SS commit Michael McAloose.

Some interesting pitchers:

Tyler Nesbitt - 6-3 175 developing strength. FB up to 94. Change-up said to be his pitch. Flipped commitment from Florida Gulf Coast to the good guys. Drafted in Round 32, #969 by Rockies - GATOR

Brandon Sproat - 6-2 165 rapidly rising. FB topping out at 93 already. Has good changeup. Drafted Round 7, #205, by Texas - GATOR

Ryan Cabarcas - smallish at 5-11 155. Lefty. High school teammate of Frosh infielder Cory Acton.

Tyler Owens - Jud Fabian's teammate at Ocala Trinity. 5-10 185 with a fastball averaging 92-93 and up to 97. Great 3 pitch combo. Named to 2018 Underclassman 1st team. Switched his commitment to UF from FSU. Drafted Round 13, #397 by Atlanta - SIGNED

Hunter Mink - 6-1 190. Said to have effective curve and change up. Fast ball up to 91. Projected to have 3 pitch combo.

Tucker Talbot - 6-3 190 From Bishop Kenny. Named to Underclassmen High Honorable Mention Team.

Blake Purnell - 6-3 190 from St. Thomas Aquinas. RHP, late addition to 2020 class.

You can see an effort by Sully to bring in better batters. Time will tell.

Current Gators Drafted:

Brady McConnell - Round 2, #44, by Kansas City - SIGNED
    Tyler Dyson - Round 5, #153, by Washington - SIGNED
    Wil Dalton - Round 8, #257 by Red Sox - SIGNED
    Nelson Maldonado - Round 21, #642 by Cubs - SIGNED
    Feleipe Franks - Round 31, #947 by Red Sox - FOOTBALL GATOR

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Thanks for doing this research.
    The MLB draft adds intrigue to baseball recruiting. Really challenges the college coaches.

I kinda think , with more and more coverage of CWS, seems like more top recruits are opting for college. There’s some glamour to going to Omaha....having the college experience, etc. Now, the top $$ picks may not, but others may go the college route. I wonder if there are stats that show a trend or is my perception off?

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    This class had a third catcher committed to us - Jacob Herbert of Lakeland. Wonder what happened here as he is now listed as a commit to Juco State College of Florida?

A promising player he is and listed as a good student.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220--

If grades are not at issue, usually it's about playing time--

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Decommitted last week, no idea why.....will see what I can find out. One rumor is that Sully wants as a P/O, kid wants to do both

Gotta get gatorjjh on the case, kid plays for his kin at Ocoee

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Smart move.

Being a Florida commit gives him a bit more leverage when negotiating, especially as a pitcher.

I think we only see him in Orange and Blue if he gets drafted by a bad organization or he gets low-balled.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

The icing to this cake is Sully--the top prospects are becoming very well aware of the schools/coaches that have their best interests at heart--they now know if they come to UF they not only have a chance to compete in the SEC and the CWS--with good health, their stock definitely rises with MLB because of Sully's approach with pitchers--the best of both worlds--

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    74, there have been any number of examples of this and one that stands out most recently is Brady Singer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220--Agree completely--

Sully's list of high profile pitchers here @ UF is both long and distinguished--

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    And what an impressive list it is to show recruits.

Also it is real...not some hyped promise. My gosh, what a remarkable recruiting tool!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As they say--"If you can walk the walk, you can talk the talk"--In Sully's case, he qualifies to do both--

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    I read where our pitcher commit Hunter Mink is said to be making good headway towards having 3 effective pitches.

74, on your words please explain the aspects of this and it's importance. I know that keeping a batter guessing and off balance is crucial here.

13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220--

I have always been fond of saying and I believe that the art of pitching is the ability to disrupt the timing of hitting--
    That said, there can be an awful lot of pieces to that puzzle and it remain quite effective--what I mean is it's much more than just throwing a different pitch than a hitter is expecting--again, location-location-location is the key--one example of this is if a hitter is expecting/anticipating FB away it doesn't mean you have to throw off-speed to beat him on that pitch--a well located 2-seam running/sinking FB in on his hands will beat him right there a high percentage of the time--again, the key is well-located--you don't always want to throw curveballs/sliders in FB counts and visa versa--again key in winning on the pitch is presentation to the hitter--you want all of your pitches (FB, Curve, Slider, Change) coming out of the same arm slot so that the hitter doesn't have an advantage "reading" the pitch out of your hand. It's obviously more important to have command/control of the number of different pitches you throw before adding another to your repertoire, then gain command of the added one in pens and practice sessions before putting it into your game arsenal--Of a fashion, you always wants to bring more bullets to the gunfight than the other guy--If today's pitcher can command/control 3 of the listed 4 he can surely compete and win at this level--
    Probably the most common hurdle for pitchers IMHO is either not knowing or not being able to keep the curve ball and slider separated--commonly they run together and end up being a "slurve" which just a flat sweeping breaking ball that mostly stays in the same plane of the swinging bat. Although the common phrase on the curve ball is "he throws a 12 to 6" that would be completely straight over the top and the really good "hammer" comes from more of an "11 to 7" type arm slot-- You want to know what the great tight slider is supposed to look like, well, you don't have to reach any further back in your memory than Alex Faedo and Brady Singer--the great one looks like a FB until it's on you and then has serious run of about 6" and downward tilt of 4-5"--true swing and miss pitch LOCATED WELL--
    The biggest challenge on the Change is confidence--you have to be able to trust it in any count for it to be truly effective and the key to it's success is FB arm speed as you throw it--that's what the hitter is swinging at--Again, you don't have to reach too far back--Jackson Kowar had the best I've ever seen in college ball--

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorfan5220

Apr 3, 2007
    Great job 74! What are the drawbacks of a slurve? Easier to hit?

That and, with the combining, does it reduce one more pitch available you can use to confuse a batter?

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Post is full of material that I respectfully disagree with [WESGATORS]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Love your post Horns. Seems like it is tough for these kids to change their thoughts to being a 12-6 guy vs slider. Lots of guys want to be hard - hard. I haven’t seen many UF pitchers throw a real 12-6 in a while. That theory has dipped into Hs. The slerve is a bull shit pitch as you said because it comes in at a bad plane level. I call it a frisbee.
    Tried to get this kid to gain some depth and throw the 12-6 but he and his fricken daddy thought that chicken crap slerve he called a slider was a better pitch. Got his tits lit up when throwing it vs good hitters.
    Breaking the timing and eye level is the secret of being a success . Get outs so early in the count and not be a friggin Superman getting into high pitch counts early in the game where coach comes get you after 5 and a third.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

You know @wingtee, Alan was probably the last true "hammer" curve baller we've had here at UF--Kowar showed a really good curve ball periodically but when I would see it I was like alright, here we go--and then he wouldn't throw it again for quite a while--there's a big difference between a "get me over" curve ball and a punch out curve ball too--

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Like I said, the slurve is merely a combination of the two pitches that is a flat sweeping breaking ball that mostly stays in the same plane of the swinging bat--it completely takes away the effectiveness of both pitches--both the curve ball and the true slider are breaking AWAY from the plane of the swinging bat when thrown correctly--

19. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The Lord of no Rings makes the walk seem a lot longer than the talk. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So throw it as far away from the bat in space as possible and/or as far away in time as possible, but either in the strike zone if they don't swing or out of the strike zone and induce them to swing at it and miss.

LOL.

This is what I told my wife what Sully said when he went to the mound. (This is a joke, but not too far from the truth.)

But I agree on Kowar's change-up. It was awesome for a college pitcher. I think it was MLB level when he was throwing it at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1