Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Barbados and Antigua...

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by ArtVandelay, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Honeymoon is booked for March. 4 nights in each place.

Ocean 2 in Barbados. Looking for fun activities and good restaurants.

Antigua we are staying at an all inclusive, but still want to venture out for a meal or 2 and also activities.

Who has been? What do you like? What don't you like?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Do an around the island guided tour in Barbados, do it on a day when no cruise ships in town if you can. Brown Sugar is an excellent restaurant in downtown Barbados, best one we found there. Restaurant just up the beach from the Fairmont was really good too. Cant recall name but it was less than 0.5 miles from Fairmont and right on beach.

Never been to Antigua so no help there. Have read about uptick in crime there so be careful.

Some Barbados pics here

Barbados Spring 2018

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Never been to Barbados, but your pics make it look inviting. Be interested in reading the OPs reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Congrats on the nuptials, have fun and bring your A game. Can't help you with Barbados or Antigua, never been there, we did Savannah and the most fun we had was in the...well you know. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Surprising amount of money there. Old money, British money. I had 3 free Fairmont nights to burn before they expired and it was only Fairmont (thank you Chase) in the Caribbean and easy AA redemption (thank you Citibank) on a direct from Miami so we went down for 4 nights to check it out. Talked to a lady at the hotel that was at the end of 3 month stay there. Rooms were $600 per night, can't imagine her bill, but doubt she cared. Nice hotel, great service, but too stuffy for me. Bellhop didn't know what to say when my wife and I said we got this wrt the bags when we got out of our cab. Our tour guide was also a full time personal driver for someone who had a place at Crane Beach and spent 4 months +/- out of the year there but paid the driver year round.

Island was safe, our first night there we stayed downtown in a Marriott and the biggest horse race of the year was that day. We walked the mile down to the track, ate and drank with the locals, watched the races, walked home in the dark. Nice beaches but not great beaches like Grand Cayman. Lot of turtles there when we were there.

The oldest seminary colleges in the western hemisphere, Codrington Theological College, is there but it was closed to tours the day we were there. Great surfing on the north side but the waves were so huge the day we toured that even the locals were not going out. Sat and watched 20 - 30 footers rolling in.

Home

Lots of fallow ag land there, our tour guide said locals were too lazy to work ag now and half the island lived off of gubmnt jobs. Big time gubmnt debt problem, their only real industry seemed to be tourism, and now they import all of their food that they grew there 20 years earlier.

Active nightlife there on the weekends. We were invited but didn't go on a party cruise. Organizer charters the boat, (think 90 foot +/-) then sells ticket like a nightclub and boat heads out to sea and becomes private nightclub for a night. Throw a good enough party or have enough friends and organizer makes money. Have lame DJ or sucky band and no friends and organizer loses money.

Nice place but I wouldn't go back. Best thing we enjoyed was the food and the locals we met and dined with at the horse race. I am sure we looked like lost tourists as we walked by and they said hello and invited us to their version of a tailgate party to eat and watch the races with them.

We are headed back to Los Suenos Costa Rica for 5 nights Dec 26 - Dec 31. Been there 2x and like the hotel. I could sit on their deck and eat their breakfast buffet everyday forever. Just really like the energy/ambiance there. I bought some 5 night Marriott certs for $600 last summer ( Dans Deals rocks) and exchanged them for rooms that are now going for more than that per night. Used some avios points (thank you AmEx) to get some direct flights from MIA to San Jose. CR trip is Xmas present this year for the wife and kids. Xmas gifts are now experiences and not more junk we really don't need. Fishing trip for my son and I (wife and daughters will go but son and I love to fish) and surfing lessons for daughters. Guided night walk through the jungle for the wife. Those are experiences they all will enjoy and will remember much longer than a new iphone or whatever. Putting their passports in the stockings and a postcard on the tree with some clues to the excursions. Hope none of them are reading my posts. Last 2 times we were there the fishing wasn't so good so hoping this becomes one of those 30 sailfish epic days this year. We are due for it.

I traded some consulting work to a client for a week in his condo and used 48,000 Jet Blue miles (thank you Barclay's) to visit our favorite island, Grand Cayman, for spring break this year. Staying on the back side of the island by Rum Point and focusing on diving and underwater photo this year. Going to do a night dive and that will be a first for my son. Hope weather cooperates so we can dive the north wall this year. Wish list is a whale shark or giant manta ray pic and the north wall is usually the best place to increase your odds.

Love to travel, travel hacking helps makes it possible. Wish I could find a way to discount the excursions but consider myself to be extremely fortunate to be able to do what we do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Very informative.
    Interesting that you like los suenos so much. Have friends who go every year. I'm not a big fan tho, seems like a typical American resort placed in CR. Much prefer the local experience. Stayed in a condo near Manuel Antonio a few years back. Great trip.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It is a typical resort but we have always had great service there and like the ability to walk to multiple restaurants and the marina in a safe environment. Wife enjoys the gym and yoga classes there. Love the pool at the hotel too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I went to Suenos last March, and caught too many sailfish. Not to sound snooty, but they became frustrating. I catch sails a bunch down here on my boat. . . went 2 for 3 the other day. I really wanted to hit the yellowfin. We found em under massive schools of spinner dolphin, but couldnt get em to eat. We went from pod to pod, and school to school . . . no takers. I was standing in the tower looking down a 60-80lb tunda swimming under us, and under our baits. ARRRRRRGGGGH!

I got again February. Hoping to hit the tuna this time.

The resort is beautiful, and i too could sit out there forever and overlook the water. I could also stand and star at the crocodile bridge for hours. Those things are terrifying and mesmerizing.

Have a great time. . . catch em up . . . and leave a few for us!

• Like Like x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Did you have any live bait to feed the tuna? They ate every live bait we had, sad to say we only had 3, and they wouldn't even look at anything else we put in the water. I used to think tuna were like mahi and would eat anything they could catch but not so much anymore. Those acre size plus schools of spinners are something to behold aren't they?

13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah- we caught a ton of love bait in the morning. Didn’t touch em.
    The captain said it had been going on for about a week— that the tuna had just turned off.
    Those spinner dolphin schools are cool. I love seeing the little babies.