Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bama signs '18 Arkansas State QB commit

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, May 25, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, I said 2018 Kid.

"For a while they've been wanting to do a preferred walk-on type of situation, but we didn't think that was the best idea for me," Hatcher told BamaOnLine. "Then today they came back and gave me an offer to come play for them. I was super excited and I was all onboard for it."

The Little Rock (Ark.) Pulaski Academy product had committed to the Red Wolves back in February and held a ceremonial signing ceremony, but never actually signed with the program, which allowed the Tide to stay in contact.

Imo to help their chances sign the #1 TE in the nation.

Another top Alabama target at Pulaski Academy is the nation's No. 1 tight end for 2019 in Hudson Henry. The Tide now has another recruiter going after the 6-foot-5, 225-pounder.

"Definitely getting in his ear," Hatcher said. "I'm going to go see him tonight before I leave actually and do my own recruiting."

Billingsley isn't going to Bama.

Alabama Football Recruiting: Alabama lands 2018 QB Layne Hatcher

2. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Bama is desperate for a qb. Something is happening there. I'm surprised Hurts hasn't announced yet.

They tried to get this kid to walk-on. He's a decent pick up though and put up incredible HS numbers. I'm curious why he wasn't more highly sought after with numbers like that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know much about him but Bama or arky State are your options? Hmmm? Nothing in between?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Dude, they offered a ton of kids. They offered a kid from Arizona that was committed to Boise (he signed w/ Boise). Then they offered the kid that was committed to an Ivy League school (and he signed w/ the Ivy league). Then they tried to get the ECU grad transfer, he ended up at Washington State.

They also went hard after Emory Jones.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    It's always wise to have multiple QBs because of how dangerous the position is, even given Bama's Terrific OLine.

Shoot, look at the Gators last year, there were 6 QBs on the Roster, and 5 were injured, which was simply incredulous.

Saban is no fool.

6. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    He's not but the fact that he strung this kid out until almost June without signing a Scholly anywhere is....I don't know....minor league.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. LakePlacidGator

LakePlacidGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is walk-on Kyle Edwards showing any potential?

8. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Who?

9. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The race car driver. C'mon ghost.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Hmmmm - I must disagree somewhat Notarious. I'm one of those people who likes to keep his options open until the last minute, and there have been no fewer than 7 times in my life that I've gotten in just under the wire, and sometimes even behind the wire (due to others not entering who were supposed to).

I think that for a chance to play for the team that's won so many Championships over the past 10 years, it's an opportunity that few would fail to take given any option.

11. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand. This kid was fortunate that he rolled the dice and won. That's not usually the case when it comes to college athletics.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He could end up with a non participation national championship trophy

13. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    He'll transfer by the end of the 2019 season. Kid has no shot to be the QB at Alabama unless there are 3 injuries in front of him...which is why Saban brought him in (in the strange case of multiple injuries).

I expect Hurts to announce soon. I was reading a Bama board and those guys said it's coming any day now (but I've read that since the end of spring).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. LakePlacidGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Kyle Edwards is a walk-on quarterback at Bama. Does anybody know about his potential
    to significantly provide help to their program?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this a serious question?

Bama is signing 3 QBs in a few month span for a reason. Tuas brother, bear Bryants grandson and the kid in this thread. The kid in the thread will transfer out fairly quickly as he's not very tall with an average arm. Jalen hurts is transferring too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LakePlacidGator

Apr 3, 2007
    There appears to be turmoil at the qb position. Can an over 6'2", over 200lb walk-on, one year in the system with three years to play emerge with the job? Could this kid have a chance?

17. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I really don't know man. I doubt he sees any mop up duty. Saban will be rearing to get his freshmen ready in case Tua goes down. (If hurts really follows through with his transfer)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LakePlacidGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for your thoughts on this. I am inclined to agree with you.

19. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    No. He won't play at all. Mac Jones, from Bolles HS (Jacksonville) is the firm #2 when Hurts transfers.....and this true freshman will be #3. The walk-on will be the scout team QB and take his lumps, like 99% of walk-ons do across the country. Let it go, bro.

20. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    You're welcome. Do you know the kid? I'm curious. Thanks dude