Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bama’s strength is also their weakness

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Same thing happened to UGA ...teams that have athletes that can “match up” struggle against FL due to size and speed of our pass catching options

UGA I assume thought they could cover and run a more man oriented scheme and Pitts, Shorter and Co had a field day

I’m hoping Bama tries the same strategy because while overall their talent dwarfs ours....our passing game talent is unique and can’t be covered 1 on 1

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Quarterback has to have time to throw. Dan will have to check down to backs, throw bubbles and Wr screens, and look for a few wheels. O line won’t give Trask time to pass.
    Gotta hold the ball at least a little while running some clock.

3. partdopy

partdopy GC Legend

Feb 1, 2012
    It all depends on the defense making stops.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jsarms1

jsarms1 Freshman

Jan 2, 2009
    Lets not kid ourselves into thinking we beat a healthy UGA...Bama is not going to have the same issues on defense, and sure as hell not the same problems on offense Georgia had.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorcarson

Gatorcarson Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I absolutely think we would have beaten a healthy UGA team. We spotted them 14 points, took our foot off the gas for the 2nd half, and still beat them by two touchdowns. We scored 38 points in the first half and that was with our best player knocked out when it was 21-21. Sorry, but I don’t think having a safety and a d-lineman out (replaced by other 5 star backups) would have made a difference. I think UGA fans are kidding themselves if they think they lost to UF because of injuries.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I thought there would be a joke in here about all of them driving Chrysler products....

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, that does it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Pierce protecting Trask will be key.

• Like Like x 2
  9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    And that solves our issue of an inept defense, how exactly?

10. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    But but they are the 3rd best team in the sec power rating now, and they crushed USCe. So.....

11. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    I'm expecting a lot of wheel routes. The wheel route is always open.

I know everyone will be watching Pitts and Toney but I expect Malik Davis is going to get quite a few looks tonight coming out of the backfield.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigharold58

bigharold58 Sophomore

Aug 6, 2007
    Thank you for providing a realistic analysis.

13. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    You need something similar to that Clemson team from the Final a couple of years ago. D-line filled with future NFL players, fast-skill position players on offense, and a good QB, also a group of extremely motivated kids who were looking to avenge a playoff loss the year prior

14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    If Trask doesn't get sacked first. Something tells me we will need backs to stay and protect Trask, and that either Saban will be prepared for the wheel routes or he will have prepared the refs to call interference on the WR rubs that get our wheel routes open. Personally, with all the passing we do and the need to keep a back in the backfield to protect Trask, I would like to see a bunch of draw plays to keep them off balance as they come after Trask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, we have to be perfect on offense.

Keys:
    Trask has best game of year and checks us out of trouble. Not just his accuracy but his ability to help sustain drives, score points, and eat clock.

O line has to have a great game where they keep Kyle clean and not miss assignments.

backs must pick up blitz, Head holes quickly and not wait, and make a big play or two as receivers.

wide receivers will have to win some 50-50 balls and out physical Alabama’s DB’s.

Defense-
    Tackle and keep everything in front of them. Bama will score they just can’t score on big plays.

DL has to hold their own and slow Harris up.

Cox, Carter, and Diabate will have to get home for 3-4 sacks.

DB’s will need to be physical and not allow anything easy.
    Trey Dean and Tre’Vez need to play as they both bring physicality to the game. More than anything else our defensive backfield cannot have any busted coverages.
    Offense cannot turn the ball over. Not even 1 time. Defense needs to turn Bama over. If Jones is pressured he’ll make mistakes.

Gotta play a perfect game and get a lead.

16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's visit this after the game. Georgia was without a ton of defenders when we played them. Really, what is embarrassing is once we got past Texas A&M, Covid ran all over the SEC and we played most of the teams on our schedule who were at half strength. Bama is at full strength.

17. miloappis

miloappis Sophomore

Mar 19, 2018
    Florida leads SEC in sacks. It would be good to see a clean really hard hit on Mac Jones.