Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Balloon Fiesta

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by vaxcardinal, Jun 8, 2019.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I've been invited to go with some family members to Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque in October. Figured it i'm going to fly all the way out there, might as well stay a couple of extra days to see the sites. Any suggestions? I've looked around and nothing stuck out as 'must see'. I thought about Roswell but it looked pretty cheesy.

2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Roswell is "cheesy" but there are a number of interesting sites and places to visit. Number 1 on my list is Carlsbad Caverns. It's a 300 mile drive from Albuquerque but the roads are fast and the drive would take you through Roswell where you could view all the signs for the space invader. :D
    Santa Fe and Taos are also worth the drive to see. Both cities have good restaurants and art galleries. New Mexico also has several preserved ancient cliff dwelling sites within driving distance in northern New Mexico. Bandelier National Monument and Puye Cliff Dwellings in Los Alamos, and the Chaco Culture National Historical Park.

• Like Like x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The Turquoise trail route to Santa Fe & Santa Fe are worth seeing. (taos & the taos pueblo are cool, but farther). Meow Wolf in Santa Fe is an experience. The O'Keeffe museum is ok, but they don't have a lot of her best stuff. I never go to Albuquerque w/o going to The Frontier & getting a green chile cheeseburger with western style hash browns. This is NOT a fine dining experience. However, I also highly recommend El Pinto. Great upscale food in a sprawling Hacienda in a cottonwood grove outside of Alb. Also home to one of my fav IPAs.

[​IMG]

Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway (New Mexico) - The Perfect Day Trip between Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Home

Frontier Restaurant

Meow Wolf - An Immersive Experiences Company

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    sounds like some good options here.

5. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    The Frontier sounds like my kind of place. I checked out Meow Wolf, can't figure out exactly what it is though.

6. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Everything is mentioned is well worth the trip if you have the time.

Carlsbad Caverns is awesome. I've been many times and never get tired of it. White Sands is also very cool and in a scenic area.

The Balloon Fiesta is awesome too. Its a spectacle. I've flown in balloons many times as I grew up around the sport. It's well worth it if you get the opportunity.

7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I used to work on a ballon crew back in the 90s. It was a lot of fun being in one of the chase vehicles running around Abq.

For anyone attending, bring a winter jacket, stocking hat and gloves. It gets damn cold before dawn in the high desert. Yes, you will get up before dawn to attend.

As for other sites, you can ride the tram to the top of Sandia Peak in Albuquerque, Santa Fe is a far superior town to visit over Abq, Taos as well, and White Sands/Carlsbad are two worthwhile driving destinations.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm doing the "glamping" thing so will be up early and not have to fight traffic. I'll skip Carlsbad since its a long drive and its probably similar to Luray caverns

9. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Carlsbad is the best cavern system in the US but I can understand why you’d pass. It’s like seeing all the cathedrals in Europe. The next is mundane even though it would be spectacular if it were the first you had visited.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Ha, same here. I worked on a crew in the mid to late 80's. I've been in a few rough landings. Don't care to repeat them.

11. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    Just got back from the Balloon Fiesta. A spectacular event.

• Like Like x 2
  12. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Drive upto Santa Fe. It's a really cool little town. Great bar hoppibg, too.

13. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, Santa Fe was a cool town. The balloon watching finishes up by 0900 and then we had the rest of the day to sightsee. Was at the festival for 3 days so saw plenty of sites.

14. gatorbronco

gatorbronco GC Legend

If you like Southwestern and Indian art, Santa Fe is great. The streets are lined with art galleries, but the artwork is very pricey.

15. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you. I thought this was another Babes thread.

16. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    The quantity of babes there was fairly low