Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

baked potato

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by cocodrilo, Aug 18, 2018.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tried to bake my first potato tonight. Bought an organic potato at Publix. The Internet said punch holes in it with a fork and bake it at 400 degrees for 55-60 minutes. So I punched it and baked it at 400 degrees for an hour. Tried to eat it and it was hard as a rock. So what did I do wrong? Bake it too long or not enough?

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

1; What kind of Potato?

You should ideally use an Idaho russet potato

2; A good tip is to only pierce it once or twice, if at all.

Rub the potato with corn or vegetable oil, and kosher or sea salt. ( I like to sprinkle a little bit of Old Bay Seasoning)

The potato should be a pretty large one.

Wrap it in aluminum foil, THEN bake it at 400• for an hour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I bought an organic potato because I read that regular potatoes have too much pesticide and other crap, bad for the prostate.

I just washed it, put nothing on it. And I read two or three places that said do not put tin foil on it, just lay it directly on the rack.

All I know is that it produced a rock.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WhattaGator

Nah, potatoes are a root, and very rarely have any measurable pesticides, if any.

Loose, unpackaged Idaho russet are ideal. If you have that much concern, try farmers markets.

You would be surprised to see the actual standards for "organic" foods, especially produce... it's actually not far from regular stuff, they just like to package it differently and charge more.

You're better off finding local growers, roadside stands, etc. to really discover how good a tomato, or some lettuce, in season, can actually be.

Many people go through their entire life without tasting a really freshly picked tomato!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    I always add a small slice of butter when I wrap it in aluminum foil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Maybe it WAS a rock? You know, they look kind of alike. And to complete my folly post, Did make rock soup out of it?

The only thing I can think of is that it was a waxy potato and not a starchy one. Russet potatoes, including Yukon Gold, are for baking.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did you preheat the oven, or shove the potato in and crank up the oven? The oven may take 15 minutes to heat up, and if you do not allow the oven to preheat, you should leave it in an extra 10-15 minutes. And if the potato is large, leave it in longer.

8. WhattaGator

Take it from a Certified Executive Chef, who has baked thousands of potatoes.

You can bake them in foil, to help "steam" the inside, and not have a crispy skin, or you can forego the foil and crisp the outside a bit

The important part is the oil rub and salt, ( except for those on a salt-free diet, which.you can rub a salt free seasoning on it)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    The answer to any potato question is french fries.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    What's wrong with 10 minutes in a microwave?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WhattaGator

Microwaving a potato is about the worst thing that can be done to it.

It toughness the natural sugars and carbohydrates in it, and produces a low quality product.

Does Nuking a Potato Kill Enzymes or Nutrients?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    This is why Trucker does the cooking in this house. :p :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That's why I wouldn't let Mrs. GK near the kitchen. Not even to attempt to do the dishes. :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OTOH....I like anything Au Gratin.......:emoji_cheese::emoji_thumbsup:

15. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I tried microwaving one. (I bought four organic potatoes at Publix). It was wrapped tightly in something like saran wrap which was hard to get off. There were no instructions, it just said on the label "ready in 5 to 7 minutes." So I microwaved it on a piece of tissue paper for 7 minutes. It came out kind of shriveled but was soft and edible, but without much taste. Actually there wasn't any taste at all.

I originally bought a couple of cans of Del Monte "new whole potatoes," before I read about all the poison that's supposed to be on or in non-organic potatoes. (Actually I've read that there's some kind of poison in any canned food because of the can.) So I tried baking an organic one. What I'm going to do from here on is microwave the new whole potatoes out of the can. They taste pretty good and I no longer care about the poison since we all have to die of something.

16. WhattaGator

Aw, c'mon..

Just try to bake one as suggested above.

Make sure that it's a nice, big russet baking potato (not a whole bag of smaller ones).. but one single, hand selected big one.

It makes all the difference!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I may try it, but as one could probably guess from the fact that this is the first time I ever tried to bake a potato, I'm not really into this kind of thing. I just didn't understand why it came out like a rock.

I sort of look at cooking like I look at hunting or fishing. A waste of valuable time. So I do as little of it as possible.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. WhattaGator

Once I started learning how to cook, I was surprised to see that I could actually make things the way I liked it!

I ended up liking it so much that I went to Cornell University, then got a a scholarship to the Culinary Institute of America to get my CEC (Certified Executive Chef) degree.

My first position was starting at Sonny's Bar-B-Q. Within two months, I became the Pitmaster, and cooking instructor and catering director for all of Broward County, (3 restaurants with drive-thru windows, serving freshly cut Bar-B-Q quicker than a McD's. and doing off-site catering for up to 4,500 people.

I've worked with, and been further trained by some of the best Chefs in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and more..

Damn! All of that, just to discover that if I want a good burger, French toast, chili,OR a baked potato, I can make it here...less expensive, better quality, and I can toss my own flavor twist to it

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. WhattaGator

Once you get the hang of baking a potato, you can do MANY things with it...

How about a " Taco-Tato"?...
    Once it's baked ( with an oil, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and Old Bay rub on the outside before baking)...

Then, split and squeeze open the potato and stuff with your choice of refried beans, chili, various kinds of shredded cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, Pico de gallo, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, etc.

Pizza-Tato...

Split open a freshly baked potato and stuff it with Marinara sauce, your choice of, or all, chopped meatballs or sausage (all cooked and hot), mushrooms, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.

Once stuffed, put back in oven for about 8 minutes to heat and melt the cheeses

Just a few incentives on mastering the art of baking the humble, yet workable Idaho Russet baking potato!

• Like Like x 1
  20. WhattaGator

I used to offer a Scampi potato...

Split and squeezed open a baked potato, then sauteed a few shrimp in butter, garlic, white wine, salt, pepper and Old Bay.

Poured the entire mixture into the potato, topped it with shredded Asiago and a touch of grated parmesan cheese, put it back into the oven for 3 minutes, and...WOW!

Shrimp Scampi Potato!

• Like Like x 1