Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

BAGMEN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bottledigger, Feb 12, 2020.

1. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    The theory that successful recruiting is the result of "bagmen" enticing recruits to sign with a particular school where they presumably wouldn't have gone without the cash inducement is a frequent contention here on Swamp Gas. It is the principal topic in the Terrance Lewis thread, for example. Clemson and Alabama are cited as frequent offenders. My question for bagmen theorists is this - why are the Alabama (13-11 overall, 5-6 SEC) and Clemson (11-12 overall, 5-8 ACC) basketball teams so bad? Do the bagmen run out of cash after the football season? If the theory is that the school (President? AD? coach?) orchestrates bagmen activities, then does this disparity indicate that the school does not care about basketball as much as football? Conversely, how do you explain how Kentucky (19-5 overall, 9-2 SEC) is so good at basketball but so average (I'm feeling generous) in football? Are the bagmen active in the basketball realm only? Is the university orchestrating bagmen activity for basketball but not for football because it cares less about success in football? I'm interesting in hearing this explained. While we're at it, did bagmen suddenly appear in Clemson after their 6-7 season in 2010? Where were they before then? Why did they show up after then?

(Ducking for cover . . .)

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    The bagmen don't really care that much about basketball, especially at those two schools. Both have been at the top in the former and the doormat in the latter for decades in their respective conferences.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Different priorities.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2020-2-12_22-9-47.jpeg

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Country view is that anyone who out-recruits us cheats, with or without evidence.
    Not much more complicated than that.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    We were recruiting good from 2002-2009 and afterwards also specially defense so I guess that "Bagman" priorities changed ? Every season lots of assistants and coaches move around or gets fired and also this whole thing happens in front of 18-21 years old but all of them keep surprising quite even they get fired or transferred. They don't ever point to their previous team, teammates or colleagues and expose them for decades. Hard to believe. I am sure once we start recruiting elite, we will not have this discussion

7. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s the bagman’s priorities (football or basketball) that count, not the school’s. That determines where the money goes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That explains it.

9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When Muschamp was here he forbade bagmen to induce offensive players.

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. OP, thou knowest not the ways of the world.

There are football schools and there are basketball schools. The $$$ goes where the priorities are. Perfectly understandable that gump and Clemson are mediocre in bball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Basketball has their bagman come from Adidas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    And why have the bagmen been effective at Bama’ only during the tenure of Nick Saban? Where were they when Shula was in charge?

• Like Like x 1
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Caught red handed, which is why they were on probation from like 2002-2004.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    While I am not sure of the level of actual money payments going on out there -- undoubtedly there is some blatant cheating but just how rampant I don't know -- it seems obvious to me, as pointed out by others, that some schools and their boosters place more emphasis on football than other sports. So Bama and Clemson boosters are motivated by football, just as would most SEC schools, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, and so on. If they have rogue staff members or boosters who are cheating, it will be focused on football most likely.

On the other hand, teams like Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville, UNC, Duke, Connecticut, Syracuse, and other similar schools have a bigger interest in basketball. It seems there have been more scandals in basketball in the last 15 years or so -- maybe that is because the NCAA is looking the other way with football?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Clemson too. They were mired in mediocrity for many years- decades even.
    But suddenly came alive about 10 years ago with the coaching change.

I guess Tommy Bowden (and his predecessors after Ford) didn't allow bagmen, so they lost. But then they came back under Dabo.

I also find it amazing that all other schools cheat, except for us of course.
    We are clean as the newfallen snow, and all of our recruits have rejected tens of thousands of $ to choose us instead of gump or the Crims or someone else.

It's a wonder we have ever won a game- with the odds stacked against us like this.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    :D:D
    The NCAA is most definitely looking the other way. Especially wrt the gumps. Wouldn’t surprise me if everyone at the NCAA is on some gump booster’s payroll. Off the books of course. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    bagmen exist everywhere , just what it is. When push comes to shove a kid is either sold or not by the staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    They’re much less likely to support an incompetent coach. If u ever wanna know a coach’s future just follow the support from boosters. They seem to be able to admit what general fans won’t much sooner
    Aka not throwing good money after bad

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Does the OP acknowledge LSUs basketball coach is on record saying to make a "strong ass offer?"

Does the OP acknowledge programs have been documented and penalized for these type of infractions before?

If so why is it so hard to believe different programs may have different priorities and ethics if precedent has been set?

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Part of my heart breaks every time I have to post this type stuff. I feel like I’m having to tell my kids Santa doesn’t exist

• Funny Funny x 3