Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Bad Loss

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator10, Feb 3, 2021.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Teams that are not “great teams” will be subject to those type losses. And sans 2016-2017 ... Florida hasn’t had “great teams”. The home record that year? 9-1.

2. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Yep. Downhill ever since.

3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    We certainly haven’t matched that season. But our “downhill” has kept us as one of ten teams in the nation to advance three straight years. And awful lot of programs are striving for our “downhill”.
    Regardess, I remain hopeful this year we ascend, even sans keyontae. I’ve really liked how the team has been playing, and the emotion/intensity I’ve watched. And so I am also hopeful tonite was an anomaly. We will find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. twobits

twobits Freshman

Jun 1, 2007
    I want MikeWhite to succeed and he certainly shows flashes. Unfortunately we also have a handful of these trap games every year where it just seems like we very rarely avoid the trap. Like watching the same movie again waiting on a different outcome.

We really needed this game. The team could not have been more flat. All game even when it looked like we had the momentum end of half, few minutes in in the 2nd and then with about 6.5 minutes to go,and each time fell flat.

I think a significant contributing factor is I don’t see Mike getting any help out of the assistant coaches. At least during the games they seem to engage in about as much coaching as I do in the stands. Maybe I am wrong but as an example from tonight we needed to start fouling this poor free throw shooting team no later than immediately after our bad offensive possession with 1:30 left. We didn’t. We started fouling with about 40 seconds left. At that time it seemed to be a surprise to Mike that we had to give 4 fouls to put them on the line so we could get the ball back. Then we put them on the line without any big in to rebound the expected miss.

Mike can’t cover everything. The assistants should have been on him about the fact we only had 3 team fouls long before it was down to 40 seconds, substitutions etc.

It may not have changed the outcome but we would have had a better chance at the end to elongate the game for as long as possible.

Also Scottie seemed totally lost in this offense tonight. Hope he can come around but he was a liability on the floor tonight.

Upside is we will probably snap back and beat LSU just to get our hopes back up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Pretty sure I'm not the only one who saw that top 25 ranking and went, uh-oh. Looks like a rough week ahead as well. Get past that and on to the tourneys.

6. kbmagill

kbmagill Freshman

May 14, 2014
    Owensboro, KY
    This is a terrible loss. Likely cost UF a seed line or 2 and with 2 road games lurking, bubble talk is about to be heating up for UF soon. So disappointing but not surprising at all. Now the pressure of a MUST win at LSU or Tennessee is staring right in the face of the Gators. We go from having momentum and possibly playing ourselves into a 6 seed, to a potential play in game, all because we lost focus and energy vs an anemic USCe team. Welcome to post BillyD Gator hoops. Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Again, IMO the key is not as much this game, but the next. Will the team rebound from a humbling loss and show up vs LSU & Tennessee or will it fold? I think many of us thought the season was over after the losses to Bama, UK and Miss St, only to see the bounce back vs Tennessee, W Va, etc.

Gotta put USC behind us and move on. Coach White has shown that he can motivate his team to bounce back. Let's hope they do it again.

The guys got a little full of themselves and we ran into a determined, hungry USC team. Hopefully the guys will learn a lesson from it. They're not good enough to win going through the motions, no matter who the opponent.

8. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Neither Billy or MW are known for coaching tough defensive teams. Billy's teams also struggled with physical teams like FSU & Tennessee.

9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I counter that with the win over WV which is known for physical play.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Those off rebounds hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I am not comparing teams wore coaches, but this is true

One of our Elite 8 teams lost at home to Jacksonville.
    Our first title team was swept in the regular season by a very mediocre usc team, and also endured a separate 3-game losing skid. Folks were bailing off that bandwagon like you’ve never seen! Lol!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    I've been adamant for years now that we need to upgrade our assistant coaches. The latest example of their incompetence was not including Jitoboh on the official roster in the WVU game. We of course didn't hear about it because no one asked MW who was responsible, but these are the questions we as true fans need to know. The biggest question that I have about MW and his future here is if he has the fortitude to demand better from those around him and it all starts with sacking one or more assistant coaches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

Billy won 2 national titles, was in the final 4 twice beside that. Anyone falling off the bandwagon then just shows the complete stupidity of this fanbase. MW can similarly get by with a lot of failure as long as he's bringing in the good product. The patience wears thin faster among the fanbase because of what Billy accomplished and the fact that our fanbase is honestly full of fair weather people who normally don't give 2 sh*ts about basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I posted below 2 weeks ago. This loss is what i was referring to.

It seems to me, as a spectator (not a true basketball junkie), that each year is eerily similar. We play a few games where i start to believe the team is hitting on all cylinders, then the wheels fall of the wagon.
    IMO, I watch MW on the sideline and sometimes i think he's too nice of a guy. I believe the team takes on his personality and we never seem to get the sustained intensity.

15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I doubt there was one person who was more disappointed in our loss last night than I was. I really thought we would come out and build on our resume but instead, it was SC that set the tone of the game. Who is responsible can be debated but the fact we crapped the bed cannot be. I doubt anyone knows this better than MW and good or bad, he is the one responsible for getting them dialed back in.

16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    NIT Champs baby! They also gave us all we could handle in SEC title game. So they obviously matched up better against us than any other team that season. But to your main point, Billy's teams did not have a habit of these inexplicable home losses to awful teams and/or blowout losses at home year after year. Sure, we can cherry pick anything from a 20 year coaching tenure. I'd love to know Billy's home winning percentage vs. White's (anyone interested in doing that research?).

I don't think it's fair or productive to compare White to a HOF all-time great coach. At the same time, I see a pattern of White apologists making comparisons to Billy to deflect from bad losses (e.g. "Billy's teams had games like this too," "remember Jacksonville," "remember early tourney exits" etc.). Be careful what you wish for if you want to bring Billy into the conversation. The numbers just aren't in White's favor and never will be.

17. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kids motivate themselves for prime time games. We can get up and play a game or two, but much like the UK game, we let Carolina get to the rim time and again and never even fouled them. MW even called them out for playing crappy defense. It's too late when you call them out in the media after the game. You have to light a fire under them during the game.

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    66 pts scored against a team that gives up 75 :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    This board has brought their A-game today. Well done, comrades.

20. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    The fact that AJ Lawson was on pace for about 50 points before we put Scottie on him is baffling. Sometimes the 3-guard lineup pays off. Sometimes it doesn't and sacrifices must be made. It was clear early on that our guards would have much more trouble than what WVU presented (or UT for that matter). Scottie did lock down Lawson for the majority of the time he got to guard him.

• Agree Agree x 1