Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

BACK TO BACK LOSING SEASONS FOR HOLES!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TJtheGator, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Good post...but I think Mendenhall will keep UVa in the upper echelon of the ACC even if they take a step back initially after having to replace a dynamic QB. Anyone who has so rapidly pulled UVa out of the 15 year quagmire they were in must be a pretty dern good coach. I was impressed with their gameplan against us. They just didn't have enough horses to execute it completely.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Back to back losing seasons for fsu. Can't tell you how much I revel in that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The talent and winning flip is truly astounding imo.

We went from being perhaps the third or fourth, maybe even fifth best, program in this state, to the best one in Florida in only one year after hiring the right head coach... Mullen. He inherited a 4 win, unranked, completely self destructed team with zero direction or confidence, and turned it into the top team in the state with back-to-back top 10 rankings. After a top 20 class in his first year, Mullen followed up with a top 10 class, some impressive transfers, a 10 win season and Peach bowl win over Michigan, and now again, follows up with an 11 win season, and Orange Bowl win, and a near top 5 class (possibly top 5 things work out for us). I think we all know the HUGE difference in coaching, culture change, and player development his staff is responsible for too. We are currently, and clearly, the dominant team in the state now, and we also have a considerable talent and coaching advantage over fsu now too.

fsu went from being clearly, the dominant program in the state for five years under Fisher, and a national championship and play-off team, to one of the worst in the state, if not THE worst, perhaps sinking to the lowest point in their program's history after the departure of Fisher and the arrival of Taggart with back-to-back losing seasons. Taggart's one major advantage when he got to fsu was his roster of some of the best talent in the country to work with... and he squandered it and blew it. He literally had a team full of top 5 talent throughout, and he couldn't win with it. While Fisher was a consummate recruiter, almost to devastating effect in some years, all of those players from his incredible two classes from his post-NC 2013 team, the 2014 and 2015 classes, were gone by 2017 and 2018. His top 10 class from 2016 is almost all gone by this year, and two classes by Taggart and this 21st ranked class by Norvell hasn't helped their talent level.

The talent is gone at fsu, and it's a not just a complete program rebuild Norvell faces, it's a recruiting rebuild. Reports are that when Taggart left Oregon, he burned a lot of bridged, and he did the same here in Florida too stemming from his actions at Oregon. Norvell has a long, hard task ahead of him imo. fsu fans who think all of their problems are fixable with "just a new coach" are fooling themselves. Culture, recruiting, coaching staff, and financial stability all play major roles in getting fsu back on their feet.

And it all happened with one good hire at UF and one bad one at fsu. It all turned a complete 180 and UF now sits on top, and it all happened in just one year. Just like that. A complete reversal of the power structure.

Amazing what just one year means.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

The dominance that FSWho held..from ther Bowden times, into the Fisherr era was impressive...
    All of that talent on the roster....and, Fisher bolted, knowing that he would be in deep shit if he stayed, considering the greatly deteriorating culture, and especially, the academic problem....FSWho came within 1 point of academic probation....

So...along came their "savior"...Willie Taggart.... who turned out to be a joke, in what's now a joke of a football program....

The Nolies are now, (after settling for their 7th choice), crowing about how they wanted Norvell all along, and how he's the "second coming", and how "they're back, and everybody had better watch out, because the Nolies are gonna win the National Championship next year....

It depends on how strong, or how weak, the ACC teams are gonna be next year.....but, so far, over the past two years...

Coach Mullen has made sure that the Gators dominate the Nolies....and heloed them maintain a losing record..

Norvell just might surpass Taggart's record, but, then again, my 84 year old Mother could have most likely done that....come to think of it....Mt. Laurel, NJ's Pop Warner "benchwarmer" QB just might have done the same thing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Legend

Jun 13, 2017
    This will be the third year in a row that they have recruited outside the top 10 per 247. I love the constant downgrade in talent they are suffering.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL

Imagine a third consecutive losing season.

Boosters will can Norvell immediately. Once you gave Willie 21 games you can’t set the bar lower.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Legend

Jun 13, 2017
    Don’t tease me with false hope of further misery. I loath that institution!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Willie was done in by ULM and Wake last season. Both reinforced that he had shown no signs of improvement in year two and left their pro-Willie admin nowhere to go once media coverage turned on them.

Norvell will get a pass for pretty much anything that happens in 2020 and can pretty much insulate himself from any noise in 2021 by having a squad that handles the Wakes and Syracuses and Samfords while looking comparatively organized and disciplined (which will be really easy to do).

There likely won't be a peep in regard to expectations until 2022 and I'd be shocked if MN isn't the head coach through 2023. He's not going to implode like Willie, and FSU has to rehab the job as a prime one for the next candidates after Norvell.

9. ReimLaw

ReimLaw Junior

Jun 18, 2008
    They could very easily have a losing record next season.

Non-Conference (possible 1-3)
    vs. West Virginia in their opener in Atlanta
    @ Boise State
    UF
    Samford

Home (3-1 would have to be their hope, but could go 2-2)
    BC
    Clemson
    Pitt
    Wake

Away (could easily go 2-2)
    Louisville
    Miami
    NC State
    Syracuse

10. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Schedule is tougher than 2019.
    I could see them improving and going 6-7 and I can see them as a complete disaster of a team and going 8-5. The ACC is like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Right on Gray... Right when they think they are righting the ship they will get to recruit against us with a brand new athletic facility with their dump digs and no money to upgrade jack shit...not even their outhouses. The only recruits they will get ahead of us are the ones who value TPD's inbred behavior getting them out of jail (guys we are glad to NOT have) and those who value being able to sign their name to a test and get an easy "A" on it. Theyre going to be picking up our effluent for another decade!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    This is a key point. FSU was struggling financially LAST year - before the Taggert buyout. I do not see them being able to commit to a $60+M building campaign for a football facility, and I do not think the state will bail them out (bills in many legislatures now, including Florida, addressing the spending by not-for-profit academic institutions on sports, coaches salaries, facilities, etc.).

However, three mitigating factors will always exist. One, they play in the ACC. Now I do believe UNC and UVA could rise (or vT return to respectability) if those schools commit to football. Absent that they play in a horrible conference. Two, UM is an even worse dumpster fire. The lack of an on campus stadium is a killer and they have a horrible coach now. Finally, they have a history of lying, cheating or whatever is needed (eg, Taggert -we never signed your contract) to compete with us. As an institution they have never been compelled to do things the right way (Janikowski, winston, etc) and I have no reason to believe they will start anytime soon.

The big wild card is Norvell. Guy cannot be worse than Taggert but he has never lead a large program with a lot of pressure. Imagine him having a record the same as Taggert's after two years and not getting fired? That would be a free fire zone. Not sure how this plays out but seems like a very heavy lift for Norvell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If Norvell shows the same record as Taggart over two years, the NAACP, Jesse, Al, and company are going to skewer F$U in a way they will shut down their football program.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    When I saw that video, I was sure it was from The Onion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Let's kick their asses off our schedule.

Replace them with a wild card--call up some of the big names out there, like Texas, OU, USCw, Notre Dame, etc., for home-n-homes.

Alt. 2= rotate with the Florida schools--Miami, FIU, FAU, USF, UCF...2 years each..., perhaps work FSU back in on that basis--but all we do by keeping them on our schedule, is help build them up, by giving them a great recruiting tool to recruit against us--i.e.--the exposure of playing UF (for or against, you're guaranteed a high profile platform playing UF).

• Like Like x 1
  16. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I agree with this 100%, and this is why I lmao at the star gazers in our base. Taggert inherited, on paper, a MUCH more balanced roster than CDM. But 2yrs later... .

The culture at fsu is what was/is their ultimate undoing. I know Gray, myself, and a few others called this when it was obvious the literal inmates where running the literal asylum. fsu is the definition of a cesspool program that will do ANYTHING it takes to win FB games, morals and ethics be damned.

I for one am soaking up the karma swallowing up that gutless "program"!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1