Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

B10 proposes one free transfer rule.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jan 31, 2020.

1. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Only two out of those 5 are revenue sports. The "year in residence" rule is intended to promote competition between schools whose resources vary wildly. They're trying to avoid what amounts to free-agency in the sports that tend to be "top heavy" (football, basketball, baseball, men's hockey). Otherwise you end up with schools like Alabama or Ohio State being able to poach players from other schools that can't compete with their resources (i.e. G5 schools). By having to sit out a year (absent a waiver, which is a separate can of worms), there's a significant downside for a player who decides to transfer, which mitigates the poaching issue. The rule was upheld by a federal appellate court in June of 2018, so it's extremely unlikely this proposal will go anywhere.

2. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    Im in favor, and will always be in favor of enforcing a penalty of having to sit half the remaining time on their scholarship. This would allow most players to transfer immediately since most play on 1 year RENEWABLE scholarships rather than 4 year schollys. Want a kid to commit to you for 4 years? Then you need to commit to the kid for 4 years as well. If you only make a 1 year commitment to the kid, that kid should be able to leave without any penalty once that 1 year is up regardless of if you're willing to renew their one year scholly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Agreed- coaches can go without penalty so why can't the student athlete? It would certainly alleviate any pressure on the NCAA for making these "decisions" on eligibility of these transfers so it would be a win win for them. They look like the hero in allowing these rules plus don't have to investigate into anything. I really don't understand why the NCAA would care if this was allowed. Hopefully someone on here knows though.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Not having the ncaa make those decisions at least on the first transfers is a win for all of us

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Umm...
    Perhaps that's because the coaches get paid, and therefore can gon to somewhere else that might pay them more, or give them a more lucrative contract, or a step up from assistant to HC....
    Wheras the student-athletes are GIVEN a free education, room & board, coaching, conditioning, etc. etc. etc...

It's a toitally different animal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    UHMMM- Companies hire young people all the time, pay for their salaries, health insurance, and sometimes even their continuing education. Then the employee grows his knowledge base and skill set and moves on to the next challenge or something that fits him more appropriately, even outside of that company. Should the employee have to pay everything back to that company? So a 18 year old kid picks the wrong school, doesn't turn out the way he wants it to, then wants a better situation. I do not think he or she should be penalized a year of eligibility for this. I am in favor of the 1 free pass option. Same animal to me, different circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

m
    As far as the "animal analogy" goes....you're compariing orangutans to armadilos......

Of course a company employee has the right to leave that job at any time, and usually without any repercussions(with the eception of things such as non-disclosure contracts)).....bercause thaty employee is only working there for a paychecvk, not because of any other thing of value is given to them....but.....

A student-athlete, (aside from a monthly stipend) recieves no paycheck, but rather recieves a free college education, housing, hefty training table meals, physical conditioning, etc

Two totally different animals AND tywo totally different circumstanc

8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure I like that. I don't know how college programs work but I can think of what that would do to a high school if their stud QB or projected starter decides to transfer in August. It could potentially end the season because what if he leaves in August and the very 1st game his backup (now starter) gets hurt and misses the rest of the season? Coaches already have their projected starters in place at the beginning of June. It messes with team chemistry.

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    At least allow transfer after a coach departs, especially after NSD.

10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    So?
    Treat your players right (be honest) and your stud QB doesn't transfer.
    Allowing transfers just make the coaches have to be better managers of players, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    NCAA will adopt this: NCAA moves toward immediate eligibility for all transfers

Only group opposing seems to be the American Football Coaches Association, saying: "Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, said he was “shocked” by the NCAA’s announcement and fears the change will spark a free-agent frenzy that led to restrictions being placed on transfers decades ago."

What a joke! Coaches paid millions that leave all the time are "shocked" that the guys risking CTE who made a decision when they were 17 or 18 years old might want a one time pass?? Maybe stop lying to the kids about starting from day 1 to get them on campus. Good change to the rules.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WhattaGator

They're gonna have to get some guidelines for the rules....

Plus....for that "kid who was guaranteed tro start in year one"...
    What's to stop a rival school from whispeing more sweet nothings into a player to hop to their school with the same promise..only to play backup there, when the kid was already getting his playing time, and was ready to take the center stage either later in the year, or especiaaly the next year?...
    I can just see Kirby talking to Copeland at the WLOCP...(or something like that.)

14. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I’m fine with it.

A nice compromise could be one free transfer if your HC leaves

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Student-athletes EARN those benefits, nothing is GIVEN to them.

Anyway, I'm glad they're changing the transfer rule, it was garbage to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    That is currently against the rules. Tampering.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. WhattaGator

Of course iit is.....but, we ARE talking aboiut Georgia.....how else did they pull in the class they got??? :)

18. WhattaGator

Of course they earn it....it's a quid pro quo...the athlete earns his way in, and the school gives them the education, housig, lots of food, stipend, etc. etc.

19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Quid pro quo means something for something or like for like. Players clearly get something, but typically in America we prefer to allow parties to negotiate value in such trades. The two questions here are: who first decided that a scholarship was the "in kind value" to be granted for playing sports, AND, more importantly, since the playing of sports has become a major money maker for schools, coaches, conferences, ADs and everyone but players and playing football is now known to be even more injurious, should the calculation change? Fair to raise these questions I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I'm all for it. Make a rule any idiot like me can understand all of the time. It makes me unstable when someone can get a pass from every other 128 or so team's but when we expect one.......

I would rather everyone (me) know how something may play out in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1