Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

B10 proposes one free transfer rule.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jan 31, 2020.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Big Ten proposes one-time transfer rule for student-athletes
    From Article:
    Currently, undergraduate transfers aren’t always granted immediate eligibility when they transfer to a new school. The Big Ten is proposing a policy that would allow all its student-athletes a one-time transfer in which they would be granted immediate eligibility, according to a report from CBS Sports. Currently, athletes in 20 NCAA sports are allowed a one-time transfer. Football, men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, and baseball are the only sports that don’t allow that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Didn't know 20 sports already allow a one time transfer. Surprised no one has sued the NCAA or a university based on equal treatment among athletes or something to that effect.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    this would be a good rule.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Seeing how the NCAA is wildly inconsistent in their current waiver process it seems like it would be a little more fair.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Of course the Big 10 would want this.....

Heck...they've been losing so many players. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I like the one free transfer idea. These are children making enormous decisions. I personally don’t think this rises to the level of not being loyal. For most this is their most formative years , wanna get that one right

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I agree this is a good idea.

We are dealing with 17 and 18 year old kids. We all made mistakes back then, as do they. Give them a second chance to get it right. Help make sure they don't get duped by the snake oil salesmen coaches willing to suggest to them they will be a major contributors/starters in their freshman year at a school stacked with blue chips already -- it helps bring some accountability to the recruiting process in that if you sell a kid a bunch of b.s. they can just move on. Bring some needed consistency to the process instead of the cluster that currently exists.

Make a second transfer require the athlete to sit out a year except for in extraordinary circumstances. Should grad transfer rule still exist? (I'd say yes, but that should probably be something considered and discussed if there is a blanket "one free transfer" rule.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Of course Michigan has fought and denied every player trying to leave their program for immediate eligibility. Hypocrites that now support the rule.

9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I'm not for a free-for-all of transfers at all, but, with the way the NCAA so unpredictably processes transfer requests, this might be a good idea. Everybody gets one mulligan with no doubts about whether or not the waiver will be successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. plusk05

plusk05 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Notice, the sports are left out are the revenue sports. The only reason they are proposing this is a second shot at recruiting kids they lost out on. F the big 10 and all the suckers that root for them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. plusk05

plusk05 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People wake up the proposed notions that come North of the Mason-Dixon line they are to only their advantage; and hence, to our disadvantage in the South.

12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    You're right and I agree with them. No reason to let certain programs horde players, including our own if it comes to that. Now recruiting will have to be more than a sales pitch. And, FWIW, I'm sure OSU was in their minds as much as any southern school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    No shit, the most difficult decision I was making was what value meal I was gonna choose at subway. Can’t imagine having some jackass in my ear the whole time trying to convince me why the sub he makes is the best.

14. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    I would rather they just enforce the current rule requiring them to sit out a year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It will force coaches to be a little more honest during the recruiting process.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Personally I'm all for it, with the stipulation that it is done before the first game of the year.
    Basically, after the final regular season game until the first game of the new season.

If you apply for a transfer during the season, you can't play until the next season. No mid season team hopping.
    Also you must leave campus/team immediately or reimburse the school for the time you are taking classes. Zero access to the team or training facility.
    You can workout in the regular student gym, live in the regular dorms or off campus and eat in the regular student cafeteria until you move on to your new school.

• Like Like x 5
  17. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If such a rule was adopted they might, in my opinion, also have to modify the rule limiting the scholarships to 25 per year to allow teams to make up losses but still be within the overall limit of 85.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Keep the limit at 25 but allow for consolation scholarships. You lose a guy to transfer, you can bring 1 transfer in.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Love it.

20. Gatorologist

Gatorologist GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's no surprise that the B10 doesn't want transfers to sit out a year. Given the overwhelmingly stupendous academics and moral integrity of the B10 they wouldn't want to lose star players from lesser leagues (ie SEC) before the players even get on the field!