Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Authoritarian Orban to speak in Texas at CPAC

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tjenkins78, Jul 11, 2022.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Nope:. This is who they always are. These media outlets find a willing audience and just feed what they want to hear. Same people who bash the MSM; who post the “here is what the MAM won’t tell you” threads. Or used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is crazy what goes as conservatism these days. Do any of you defenders think Reagan would be cool with all of this?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viktor Orbán sparks outrage with attack on ‘race mixing’ in Europe

Hungary’s far-right prime minister, Viktor Orbán, has lashed out against the “mixing” of European and non-European races, in a speech that immediately drew outrage from opposition parties and European politicians.

“We [Hungarians] are not a mixed race … and we do not want to become a mixed race,” said Orbán on Saturday. He added that countries where European and non-Europeans mingle were “no longer nations”.

Orbán has been making similar claims for years, but these comments were couched in stark far-right terms.

4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Reagan could never have anticipated the bizarre and extreme ideas that libbies would have come up with.
    I mean Carl Sagan would have been blown away with the craziness of the dems.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    “We [Hungarians] are not a mixed race … and we do not want to become a mixed race,” said Orbán on Saturday. He added that countries where European and non-Europeans mingle were “no longer nations”.

So apparently he thinks the United States isn't a real nation, lol. It would at least be more complex if he were expressing concerns about the preservation of language and traditions specific to Hungary. But European isn't a race, so if this quote is accurate I think it's safe to say what he means here: White.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The urtext to all this is Yoram Hazony's "Virtue of Nationalism". It was published in 2018 but is getting a much stronger reading of late all over the Right. I find its conclusions odious, and I've linked to a dated criticism. But it is definitely dominating a lot of political thought on the Right. That's what Orban is referring to.

It's basically an upending of concepts have dominated Western political thought going back to the Treaty of Westphalia - that national identity as a matter of ideal and commitment rather than ethnic identity. The new concept is that a true nation must have a cohesive and largely homogenous ethnic identity. Again, I find it odious and also eclipsed by history.

I thought the matter had been resolved in 1945 and in the victory in the Cold War, to a lesser extent. The polyglot victors drawing in the best minds from around the world aspiring for freedom as opposed to ethnic identity prevailed, and I thought that would've ended this debate. I still think it should. But it hasn't.

The outcome of Ukraine and perhaps Taiwan may decide things. US and Europe have again combined to aid Ukraine and have seemed to show, at least initially, the virtue of free societies and showed that they can defend themselves, and that their alliances and weapons are superior. We'll see

He appears positively gleeful about the potential destruction of liberal internationalism at the hands of the new nationalist vanguard.

Hazony’s disdain for international norms and the organizations that promote them might already be winning out. President Donald Trump is in the White House; Brexit is casting a pall over the European Union; China is focused on its own development with little else in mind; and authoritarian leaders are taking power in northern Europe, South Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, and elsewhere.

Right-Wing Israeli Author Writes “The Virtue of Nationalism” — and Accidentally Exposes Its Pitfalls

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder if they really believe this, or just believe that it will get racists to send them money.

What Americans Can Learn From Viktor Orbán’s Courage › American Greatness

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Orbán the Toe

9. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    TX real worried about that state turning blue..

10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  12. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't see liberal policy proposals as much different than 40 years ago. I've never seen liberals as a threat to democracy and our way of life. (For that matter, until Trump came along, I've never seen conservatives as a threat either.) What makes liberals so "bizarre and extreme" today so as to justify their being seen as enemies all of a sudden.

You and I probably disagree on policy, but we surely agree on most everything else, including our love for this country. The one thing I do not and cannot understand no matter how much I try is why many of today's republicans cannot appreciate the threat posed by Trump, and those who vigorously support him, to the country we love.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  13. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    This far right BS has cropped up from time to time in America, always to the country’s detriment. For example, the current descent began in September 1994:

“On Sept. 27, 1994, more than 300 Republican members of Congress and congressional candidates gathered where the insurrectionists would one day mount the scaffolding. On that sunny morning, they assembled for a nonviolent transfer of power. Bob Michel, the unfailingly genial leader of the House Republican minority for the previous 14 years, had ushered Ronald Reagan’s agenda through the House. But he was being forced into retirement by a rising bomb thrower who threatened to oust Michel as GOP leader if he didn’t quit. “My friends,” a wistful Michel told the gathering, “I’ll not be able to be with you when you enter that promised land of having that long-sought-after majority.”

Newt Gingrich had almost nothing in common with the man he shoved aside. Michel was a portrait of civility and decency, a World War II combat veteran who knew that his political opponents were not his enemies and that politics was the art of compromise. Gingrich, by contrast, rose to prominence by forcing the resignation of a Democratic speaker of the House on what began as mostly false allegations, by smearing another Democratic speaker with personal innuendo, and by routinely thwarting Michel’s attempts to negotiate with Democrats. Gingrich had avoided service in Vietnam and regarded Democrats as the enemy, impugning their patriotism and otherwise savaging them nightly on the House floor for the benefit of C-SPAN viewers.

“Newt! Newt! Newt! Newt!” the candidates and lawmakers chanted. A pudgy 51-year-old with a helmet of gray hair approached the lectern. “The fact is that America is in trouble,” Gingrich declared. “It is impossible to maintain American civilization with 12-year-olds having babies, 15-year-olds killing each other, 17-year-olds dying of AIDS and 18-year-olds getting diplomas they can’t even read.” The pejoratives piled up in Gingrich’s shouted, finger-wagging harangue: “Collapsing … Failed so totally … Worried about their jobs … Worried about their safety … Trust broke down … Out of touch … Wasteful … Dumb … Ineffective … Out of balance … Malaise … Drug dealers … Pimps … Prostitution … Crime … Barbarism … Devastation … Human tragedy … Chaos and poverty.” “Recognize that if America fails, our children will live on a dark and bloody planet,” Gingrich told them.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...estructionists-book-excerpt/?itid=hp_opinions

But there’s always an audience.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Why?

15. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orban may end up like so many other authoritarians if he’s not careful, in a dumpster somewhere or hung in the town square. Republicans take notice.

16. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Not shocking that none of our Trumpers are on this thread professing their love for Orban.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    One of Orban's longtime advisors quit a week ago after a speech he made. Her reaction:

‘Nazi’ talk: Orbán adviser trashes ‘mixed race’ speech in dramatic exit

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte