Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Australian Study: China is outpacing the US in 37 of 44 critical and emerging technologies

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Mar 3, 2023.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    China has a "stunning lead" ahead of the US in high-impact research across critical and emerging technologies, according to Canberra-based independent think tank Australian Strategic Policy Institute, or ASPI.

The world's second-largest economy is leading the US in researching 37 out of 44 critical and emerging technologies across the defense, space, energy, and biotechnology sectors — including research of advanced aircraft engines, drones, and electric batteries — the ASPI said in its Thursday report. The US State Department partly funded the study.

The ASPI found that for a few fields, all of the world's top 10 research institutions are in China, and they collectively generate nine times more high-impact research papers than the second-ranked country — which is the US in many cases. In particular, China has the edge in defense and space-related technologies, the ASPI said.

"Western democracies are losing the global technological competition, including the race for scientific and research breakthroughs," the report, led by the institute's senior analyst Jamie Gaida, said.

China has a 'stunning lead' over the US in the research of 37 out of 44 critical and emerging technologies, new study finds (yahoo.com)

This is a concerning development both economically and militarily I would have to think. China is on course to be the global superpower if things don't change it looks like.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    In terms of infrastructure China makes the US look third world ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    We are in control of ourselves. What are you suggesting we do differently? Im for more scientific research but how do you propose supporting it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’ve been there in the last 5 years. I would not agree with you. Their new stuff is newer especially in cities but overall their average is terrible. Beijing is not modern in many parts.

5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Have you been to many parts of almost any US city ?

6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have. China has some new infrastructure that looks great. But veer off the beaten path and nowhere in the US is that far behind. There is a long tail on China infrastructure. The US is a tight bell curve no matter where you are.

7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Five years in China like a century in the US in terms of infrastructure enhancements. An interchange in my small North Carolina town has taken twelve years to design and build. China would have done it in three months.

8. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Only for it to fall apart 3 months later

9. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I think you approach it on several levels. First, funding needs to be aggressive. Second, DEI needs to be thrown in the trash can. We need to return to meritocracy in every institution involved with the tech arms race with China. And we need to understand that any future war with China is being fought right now based on how we are pacing them in the tech sector. It needs to be understood in Washington that we are at war with China because they have their sights set on a war with us.

We are pivoting our resources to green energy, while China is pivoting their resources to defeating us with superior military technologies. We need to go all in on beating China. You prevent the future war with China by having the technological upper hand. Green energy is not going to win us any wars.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    When were you there?

11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

Attached Files:

12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Haven’t been. Does that disqualify me from commenting on road and highway, public realm and high speed rail development ? I have been to NYC recently, our shining city on a hill, and it’s run down and rat infested AND dangerous.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I simply added the perspective that China’s high is high and their low is low. In the US the infrastructure is pretty even around the country. However…

It definitely needs an upgrade which we can than Biden for the Infrastructure Bill!

• Like Like x 1