Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Auburn's recruiting ban that wasn't could add to school's NCAA issues (Pat Forde Column) added note

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Aug 12, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Auburn's recruiting ban that wasn't could add to school's NCAA issues
    Pat Forde
    Yahoo SportsAug 11, 2019, 7:04 PM
    While the Auburn men’s basketball program waits for a seemingly inevitable Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, it appears that the Tigers have created even more problems for themselves than they were already facing.

A report last week from AL.com said that the school “did not conduct recruiting of any kind from September 2017-April 2018.” The media outlet cited Auburn athletics as the source for that information, adding that there were “no official visits, no unofficial visits, and no contacts or phone calls made to any recruits during that time.” The school never publicized this self-imposed sanction, and it may have remained a secret had coach Bruce Pearl not alluded to “some real strong penalties that were never made public” on a July podcast with CBS’ Jon Rothstein.

Last Wednesday, AL.com published its story about the self-imposed recruiting ban. But there was just one problem: The ban that supposedly stretched from the Sept. 26, 2017, arrest of assistant coach Chuck Person as part of the nationwide federal corruption investigation until the end of that season, wasn’t exactly ironclad. And if Auburn implemented a compliance policy in direct response to a potentially major NCAA rules violation by a member of its staff, and then flouted its own policy, that could magnify the issues that lie ahead for the basketball program.
    Auburn's recruiting ban that wasn't could add to school's NCAA issues

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Can't wait for them to get nailed. Hire a known cheat, reap what you sow

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Auburn in B'ball is a lot like Ole Miss in Football....if they are winning, you can be assured they are cheating.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Hire Bruce Pearl?
    Reap what you sow!

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The fact that programs recycle these cheats is amazing. Maybe they can replace Pearl with Kelvin Sampson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Cheating on a self imposed sanction? I was going to say "How low can you go?", but they did hire Pearl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Auburn was a moribund program when they hired Pearl. They consciously decided to bet on Pearl, knowing the risk they were taking, because they were desperate and willing to risk a catastrophe. And here we are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TVnGators

TVnGators VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To me Pearl and Auburn deserve to have their ^%$*^ kicked by the NCAA. But with their track record (Roy Williams and UNC front and center), the NCAA will stall, fumble, mumble and do nothing. Its the most incompetent organization in world---outside any political body of course:)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Or because Auburn basketball is the equivalent of Kentucky football, the NCAA may lay the hammer down

10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I don't think the issue is that Pearl cheats (because I think we've seen it's relatively prevalent) but it's that he's so bad at it that he keeps getting caught.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    I hate the NCAA as much as you do but NC is a blue blood and therefore the NCAA shamelessly let them skate. They should have gotten hammered. Auburn is more like Cleveland State when it comes to b-ball so they may get nailed simply reinforcing my view that the NCAA is a self-serving, corrupt group of ivory tower bureaucrats.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

12. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    And it will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with Zona, Kansas et al in this scandal. It really says something that it took the friggin FBI to blow this open. Where was the NCAA on this? Either clueless which reinforces their incompetence or looked the other way which reinforces they are corrupt. Either says a great deal about that body. They remind me of the federal government.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

13. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'd say neither. They are complicit more than anything. The NCAA is a $1 billion dollar a year business. The head of the NCAA makes 4 mil a year. Everyone knows what goes on, they just go along with it because of the loot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl