Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Attorney: Ex-Florida Gator John Huggins ‘did not choke’ tutor (Matt Baker Tampa Bay Times)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Attorney: Ex-Florida Gator John Huggins ‘did not choke’ tutor
    Gainesville attorney Ron Kozlowski describes Huggins’ exit from the Florida Gators as a mutual agreement.
    By Matt Baker Tampa BayTimes Sports Published 2 hours ago
    Three days after John Huggins’ high-profile exit from the Gators, Huggins’ attorney addressed some of the questions that have been swirling around the defensive back’s past and future.

The attorney, Gainesville’s Ron Kozlowski, said Huggins admits that he could have handled some situations better at Florida but that an October police report that accused him of trying to strangle a female tutor was not right.

“The report generally is accurate,” Kozlowski told the Tampa Bay Times on Tuesday. “Where it’s inaccurate is in one critical place.”

That critical place centers on tone.
    Attorney: Ex-Florida Gator John Huggins ‘did not choke’ tutor

2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

if true then the PC police should be happy that they made the life of a young black man more difficult.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    The tutor reported it, didn't she? If so, something about the incident made her very uncomfortable and/or afraid of him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This is what I shared in a thread here last week from a source who told me exactly this, and this is why the tutor didn't press charges.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator4ever88

gator4ever88 Recruit

Aug 29, 2017
    Attorney gets involved, does his attorney blah blah blah to twist it another way to look like “oh just playin”. Are you freaking kidding me? The attorneys only purpose is to solidify one reason for the lame NCAA to grant yet another exemption for immediate play if picked up through the portal. Screw Thuggins good luck at SOW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Why report it and not press charges then?

7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    lots of twists and turns on this one, I doubt we will ever know the complete story, the young man's attorney is doing his job, I really hope we don't hear Huggins is doing something like what has been alleged at another school and that he has learned a hard lesson, wherever he lands it won't be as good as being a Gator for life

8. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    To be safe neither tutor nor player should be near the team

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    What does “black” have to do with it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Possible she told someone supervising at UF so she wouldn't have to do one on ones with him and SOP is to report it to law enforcement (title ix compliance).

There is no justifiable situation for JH to put his hands on her, nor any reason for her not to report. Beyond that, "pressing charges" isn't her call.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    I am glad Huntley Johnson is not representing all Gators anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Assuming his story his true, I agree intent should be a consideration. Unfortunately, the girl could have been a survivor of a real assault so she might have felt threatened; the ‘joke’ could have scared the crap out of her.

Bottom line is, unless you are damn sure the person will not have an issue with some physical contact, best to keep your hands to yourself at all times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    So we instantly believe attorney drivel when they defend one of our own now but in nearly every other situation attorneys are liars. Got it.....

Did this tutor speak English? I thought I heard she was Asian? Maybe not. Only reason I ask is because one possible excuse could be a cultural misunderstanding but even that seems like a reach.

I'll refrain from making a final judgment as we don't know anything really but I will trust there is a legitimate reaso Or several reasons he is not with the team and leave it at that.

I have no idea why race was brought up

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorfred

Gatorfred All American

Oct 15, 2012
    He only represents the guilty ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree with you, except the part about pressing charges "not being her call'. If she was assaulted, and wanted to press charges against her assailant, no one could stop her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    And I love how this Matt Baker character writes an article trying to justify his actions in bringing up an incident that had already been handled nearly a year earlier, and then, realizing the damage he did, finally thinks it might be appropriate to get the other side of the story, acting as if he is being fair all along.

Maybe he should have shut his pie hole until he knew the whole story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    Charging decisions are made exclusively by the State Attorney. It is not her call. Note the Jamis Winston debacle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There's a moral in this story besides treatment of women. This case reminded me immediately of a news story a year or so ago. A high-school teacher tried to confiscate a kid's cell phone during class. The kid beat him up.

The moral? In this day and age, you do not mess with someone else's cell phone. It's part of their being.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Certainly "not her call", but her decision is significant. Tough to prosecute a case when the victim's not on board. Subpoena for a Misd beef...not very effective use of resources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

While I understand that the attorney's job is to protect his client, his justification for Huggins getting a fresh start is reasonable and I wish Huggins good luck. Seems like a good decision for all, especially since no one denied that he was irresponsible regarding academics. Loss to the team though. Too bad.

• Agree Agree x 1