Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Attendance numbers (2023)

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Jul 24, 2023.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    @WESGATORS sent me some student attendance data. Indeed it is up. It has gone from pathetic (around 350) to pitiful (around 500). And they get in for free.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Would a 43% increase make it feel a bit better? Are those season totals? LOL Statistics are a great way to make ignorant people forget about their problems. Not that anyone around here is ignorant or anything. I am glad that these numbers matter more since we have a great place to enjoy baseball and yet still doesn't appeal to today's college students.

3. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I think good student attendance adds to the lively ambiance of a game, but under 1% of the student body is poor, partly because about 10 games came after the end of spring semester. Probably was around 1000 before that. I wasn't much better than current students and didn't get to Gator baseball until my second senior year, but I've been steady since in the 50+ years since. I loved bsb right away and bought season tix as soon as they were offered.

Not that it's more than a humble opinion, but I perceive the untapped audience as the same group that makes a huge difference for football and basketball, people who live within, at most, an hour of the ballpark. Baseball has the added advantage of being cheap enough to bring along a group of kids. Decent bleacher seating will draw a better general admission crowd than the berms alone. I don't mean eliminate the berms, but I believe having no other GA seating shuts out part of the market. It's season tix and concessions that provide meaninigful revenue from that market. GA buyers are a source of future deason tix buyers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's the way I look at it. If you use those 2019/2023 numbers, it looks more like this:

SEC + Miami + SWAC (16 games): ~700 students per game in 2019; ~1000 students per game in 2023
    Last SEC game of the series after graduation (3 games): ~100 students per game in 2019; ~200 students per game in 2023
    The other home games OOC weekends and midweeks: ~50 students per game in 2019; ~75 students per game in 2023

Not going to haggle over the actual breakdown, but it stands to reason we are drawing more for an SEC or Miami weekend series prior to graduation than we are for the other games.

Now think of the two seasons prior to that 2019 season, and think of the two seasons prior to the 2023 season. All things considered, I think things are looking great for student appeal. Definitely heading in the right direction.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That's a great way to put it. I've always been an advocate for the new stadium to have GA seats/bleachers for this very reason. I remember the family deals they use to offer at the Mac on Sundays was a nice alternative. As you say, that low entry opportunity to add people early in the season is a good way to promote growth for the future.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They could make a large bump in student attendance by counting players and ushers.

• Funny Funny x 3