Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Attacking the Families of Coaches

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I've seen people on social media attack Mullen's wife as though she's too "affectionate" towards our players. I see people rebut that with attacks on Jimbo and his ex-wife. That stuff should all be off limits, IMO. Respect the families of coaches and leave them alone.

With respect to Mullen's wife... The attacks are disgusting and I think we're all behind the Mullens in defending them on this. Just people are sick. But sometimes I think it's more important to stand up for people you don't like.

I really don't like Jimbo. I think his teams almost without exception are incredibly undisciplined and he frankly does not care at all what they do off the field as long as they help him win games. And he really seems to have a habit of beating the Gators. But the man has been through more than any man should ever have to go through personally. And people who use that as a punch-line are sick to me. Kicking a man when he's down is just wrong. And I just really can't stand that sort of stuff. What do you all think?

Mods, not sure if this thread belongs in Swamp Gas or Too Hot, but I put it in Too Hot to be safe rather than sorry. This sort of goes in the line of "social media mob" and "cancel culture" for me. But I don't call balls and strikes, here. Please do with this thread what you have to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Do you have a link, even if it is only to a thread found elsewhere? I'm curious about the situation and am ignorant of the details.

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I agree, the coaches personal lives should be off limits unless something seriously jacked up occurred.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It's people on Twitter and they're technically not public figures... so I don't want to name specific names... but long story short:

I believe Mrs. Mullen gives a hug and a kiss to players before games. Opposing fans like trolling us over that despite it being completely innocent. Sort of like a mom wishing you luck before a game.

So some of our fans rebut that with "Jimbo's wife cheated on him with a former UF football player and a former FSU tennis player (allegedly, but likely)." I don't wish that on my worst enemy, especially if they have kids.

You do not go there. Period. Nobody deserves that.

5. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    While I totally agree with you, there is no rolling it back in places like Twitter. It is anybody and everybody saying whatever hateful thing pops in their head. I've seen no evidence that individual members can be expected to exercise discretion, and having any sort of community or service provider regulation is deemed unacceptable.

6. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So who is it acceptable to attack, on Twitter or anywhere else? I’m making a spreadsheet.

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Complaining about social media is a waste of time. It is what it is. It's like complaining about the human race. What are you supposed to do about it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    does she do that with a mask on?

9. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think she’s been doing this in the current season. It was during the player walk to the stadium in past seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Social media is basically a barely monitored message board. Take off almost all the monitoring of any of gatorcountry’s boards and you know what it would look like. That’s why these boards are so anti-free speech. Free speech is a mess. It’s hard, vulgar, cruel, insensitive, racist, sexist, and xenophobic. It’s also PC and cancel prone. I post on unmonitored boards and it’s a mess.

The alternative to free speech, however, is worse.

11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This one image should probably sum it all up....by the way, it is beyond asinine, so would not waste too much time on it.

[​IMG]

https://i.redd.it/5ioyfhflfcx31.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships Premium Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Hellenic Empire: Civil War after Alexander’s death.
    Roman Empire: internal strife and barbarian incursions.
    Nazi Germany: megalomaniac nincompoop and millions of Allied soldiers
    USA: Twitter and Facebook

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably a feeble attempt at humor. Still an incredibly disgusting and slimy post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    It was not meant as humor. There were national discussions concerning Mrs Mullen and her interactions with players.

Honestly, Mrs. Mullen did not leave Gainesville on the happiest of footings with the Gator nation over some things she said while here, and more things she said once she arrived in Starkville concerning Gainesville (that attacks on Dan and his "wheel of offense" were not received well as you might imagine). I think some of this was a carefully crafted interaction to show that she, along with Dan, was fully invested in the Gator program, its players and and the fans. She is a very bright woman with a background in TV broadcasting who understands image crafting, and how to project the right image to influence people.

Also, she seems like a very nice woman and had a lot of positive interactions with the players at Miss State. Her presence around the team swayed more than one concerned parent his or her son was in good, caring hands in Starkville. I am guessing her presence around the UF program is seen as a positive for parents when evaluating Florida now during the recruiting process.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I like Mullen’s wife. She reminds me of mine, who is very affectionate and genuinely likes people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The price of freedom is high... and it's messy...

But freedom doesn't mean you can't call people out for poorly exercising it. On the contrary, you can and you should...

Obviously don't ruin their lives... don't "cancel" them... don't go after their employers and THEIR families... but certain things are just wrong. And people should be told that they're wrong when they're wrong. That's what public discourse is.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    My opinion is if a rival coaches wife did this everyone getting super defensive about would think it was creepy too and make fun of it incessantly on the football boards.

18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep. The pix is not a good look

19. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Social media is the devil, that’s why I try to steer clear of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Coupled with cancel culture.

• Agree Agree x 1