Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Athlon & Lindy's

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorcloud, May 29, 2021.

1. nsbgator

nsbgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Street and Smith also put out a composite cover that I can't locate at present
    covering 25 yrs. or so of publishing. They would go into detail on every team in every conference. Sweet reading for a kid who also collected a few college pennants.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Didn't they just make a one free transfer rule? Wtf?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Must admit it's quite humorous to see FSU
    in the top 10 - nope
    in the top 20 - nein
    in the top 30 - nyet
    in the top 40 - nei
    in the top 50 - nada.

Phil Steele has the Noles at #96
    Buncha Preseason Top 25 Football Polls and Rankings

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They did plus he transferred last year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    I only bought Athlon's for th Cheerleader pics anyways... Usually the Oregon Duckettes of course dominated the "rankings". Our cheerleaders could look great if they stopped all doing that big comb-over thing every year and looking like plastic dolls. Sad really as they are all very beautiful girls outside of the game enviornment. Don't know if it is their coach forcing such an odd hairstyle or if it is a collective decision, but its the same every year.

Cheerleaders and uniform threads... yup, that time of year. Oh, and helmets too...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I lived in Houston in the late 70s and the Houston Oilers we’re putting together an answer for the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders — they ran a contest for people to come up with a name for the new Houston Oilers cheerleaders — no shit, a guy I knew submitted ..... The Lubric_nts.

He didn’t win - they ended up naming them the Derrick Dolls

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I believe the NCAA did, but, not the SEC yet? Also, he transferred in the middle of last year's season, if that matters.

8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    Well, I hate to say it, but that sounds about right. Given our lackluster finish, woefully unimpressive recruiting class, and failure to make a leadership change at the greatest point of failure on last year’s team, why would anyone who is unbiased expect a significant improvement this season?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    My son still likes the magazines.

Me, not so much anymore, the cheerleader pics are nice.

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Insert Auby joke. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    North Carolina is getting A TON of preseason love. I do not know how much we can learn about how good they are by watching them get blown out by Clemson, but I just do not see them as being better than Florida at a neutral site.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Nostalgia my man. I still love the feeling of a newspaper in my hands even though I read most everything on this godforsaken device

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Well played

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Sorta apples and oranges. Steele is far more gambling driven than the other 2

15. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    That is true
    but the amount of accurate info in Phil Steele is what sets his work apart from the others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Back in 1968 S&S had an article on John Reaves and the other soph's Alvarez, Durrance and Rich and I went to the game when mighty Houston came to Gainesville before it was the Swamp. Florida cleaned their # 3 clock 59-35.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

North Carolina seems to always get more love than they deserve. I think it goes back to the media trying their hardest to make the ACC a credible conference - way back when ref$u was the only decent team they had. As far as I’m concerned UNC has never lived up to their hype

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    For those mentioning Street and Smith. They still publish mags. Haven’t seen college football but they had a 2020 pro football release.

I am not so big on these magazines as I used to be. I normally go on a summer vacation in early June and bought Lindys for the plane ride and Athlon for when I returned or vise versa. Since I traveled to europe on these trips I would leave my read magazine with a friend or on a train for others to read. The issue I kept I would keep by my tv to use as a prep for an upcoming opponent. I read so many gator articles and websites on line that the gator info in Lindys or Athlons is useless for me. However, I don’t read jack squat on-line about South Carolina or Missouri or Kentucky, etc. so I found the mags were useful for getting prepared for sec opponents.

plus, my wife buys them for me for my birthday. Told her this year not to bother. She’d buy me like 2-3 different magazines and for years I didn’t have the heart to tell her to stop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. beteez

beteez Freshman

Jul 20, 2009

Street & Smiths was the king