Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ask The Chef

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by WhattaGator, Feb 9, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Have any questions about preparing a meal, whether it be for two or twenty?

Need a recipe for something you've been craving?

Questions about grilling, smoking, braising, broiling?
    Fry or Saute' what's the difference?

I've been a Certified Exeutive Chef since '78, and there seem to be a few other talented folks out there, as well.

Feel free to ask.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just got a Damascus steel knife. Unbelievable how sharp it is. What is the best way/form of sharpening it to keep the edge? Whetstone? Sharpening steel?

I still cant believe the way it glides through an onion

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WhattaGator

That's a beautiful piece of cutlery.

Which brings up a great point.

First.... for all the readers... There's NOTHING more dangerous than trying to cut, slice, etc... with a dull knife!

When you have a sharp blade, as you use it, it actually DOESN'T "dull"... what happens is, the edge gets pushed off to the side very slightly.

Get a good "sharpening", or knife steel. Before each time you use your knife, hold it at about a 30 degree angle against the steel, and simply draw the blade along the steel about 4 -5 times on each side. That will bring your knife edge back into true, and, with regular use, it should hold its edge for anywhere from 6 months to a year or more, depending on use.
    After that, I take my knives to a professional sharpener, and the knives are good to go again.

For your brand new knofe...NEVER try using a whetstone on it.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. insuragator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you sir! My grandfather was a chef and always said you only cut yourself with a dull knife :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Hey Chef!
    I am cooking pinto beans here (Denver) today as we are expecting snow the next few days.
    Usually I use a ham shank and hock for 2lbs dry pintos. However, all the shanks and hocks were gone, so I picked up some smoked pork neck bones instead.
    How do the neck bones compare to the hocks and shanks? Will they add the same gooey gelatinous yumminess? It also looks like there is quite a bit meat on these bones!
    Recommendations?

6. WhattaGator

The smoked neck bones should work just fine... in fact, you'll get a little meat in the beans.

Taste the beans as they're cooking... add a little ham base, if you have it, and need it.

The neck bones have not quite the "gelatinous goodness", but very close.... and it was great that you found smoked neck bones. Once they cook with the beans, not only do you get that nice, smoky flavor imparted into the beans, but the marrow from each bone imparts it own flavot.

7. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Thank you, Chef! The neck bones-flavored pinto beans turned out really well, thanks! I cut the meat off of the raw bones and then made my stock from all of the flat bones by boiling them on medium in water as I was parboiling my beans.
    After I parboiled my beans, I added the reduced smoked pork neck bones stock to the pot with the beans. I then simmered for about an hour until the beans were still a bit slightly hard.
    Then I added the raw meat from the smoked neck bones and simmered for about 15 minutes. After that, I added 1 diced sweet onion, 1 yellow onion and about 8 jalapeno peppers diced with removal of seeds.
    I let all that simmer until soft. It is delicious!
    I was worried about using smoked pork necks instead of a Ham Hock and a Ham Shank, like I usually do, but damn, everybody was saying these are better than any other beans that I have made! And I agree!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WhattaGator

Next time, try leaving the meat on the bones...

The meat will either fall off while stirring, or simply just fall off, and add even more to the flavor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. insuragator

Apr 3, 2007
    Fed Ex me a bowl. Sounds great

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My wife must have her steaks cooked to at least medium well. I have a tough time getting it to turn out well. Is there a cut of steak or cooking method that is best for burnt, I mean medium well steak?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. WhattaGator

Wow... that leaves you in a "tough" position:eek:

You need to always get cuts of meat with lots of "marbling", or fat, running through it.
    The fat in the marbling will keep the steak as moist and tender as possible

Ribeye would be your best choice.

I have a recipe in the "Special Recipes" thread for a marinade you might try;

4 Ribeye Steaks
    3 Tsp Fresh parsley
    1 Tsp white pepper
    5 Cloves Fresh Garlic
    1/3 Cup Olive Oil
    1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
    1/3 Cup Worchestershire sauce
    1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    1/3 Cup Broen Sugar
    1/2 Tsp Ground Black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Place all ingredients in blender until smooth.
    Cover steaks with 2/3-3/4 of the marinade. Marinate for at least6 hours.
    When grilling staaqqeaks, baste with reserved marinade.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds good. Thanks!

13. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    That may be true if you know what you are doing. But for a dipstick like me, I nearly cut my hand off with the first really sharp knife I used.

I was cutting a bagel, and like I had always done, I held the bagel in my hand and was cutting towards my palm. My normal knife I would cut about a half way through, turn it and repeat.

Well this knife was so sharp the first time I went to cut it went right through the bagel and about 1/4 inch of my palm with my first cut.

lol.

14. WhattaGator

Didn't you know that you're supposed to use a Bread Knife (serrated edge) to cut a bagel?
    You'd have much more control, seeing how you have to use more of a slower, sawing cut?

It would have prevented the cut on your hand, and kept blood off the bagel! :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Never cut towards your hand

• Like Like x 1
  16. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Oh fine... now you tell me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. OB2018

OB2018 Premium Member

Dec 20, 2015
    What's the best way to do chicken breast in a pan at home? What internal temperature of the meat do you recommend?

Mine cooking is kinda inconsistent by texture. Need better consistency.

19. WhattaGator

Chicken smust be cooked to an internal temp of 185
    Chicken must be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

You haven't specified if you're using skin-on, or skinless breast.. I assume you're talking about boneless breasts.
    Skin-on has a wider variation of pan-cooking ideas

What type of range do you have? Gas, electric, ceramic, etc.

20. OB2018

OB2018 Premium Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Standard ones they have in an apartment, believe electric range. Boneless breasts you get at the store. I've been told 155 might work better and gives juicier meat but haven't tried it yet.