Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Will Anthony Richardson Be The Most Coveted Free Agent In College Football?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorbuff, Oct 1, 2021.

1. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jt Daniel and Vandagriff are 5 stars. (2 more than we have), Beck is a 4 star. 8 qb's in total including walk ons (we have 4.)

With Fields and Fromm, (and the transfer portal), a team cannot expect to keep the roster stable at QB if you have talent. Someone is going to leave. Even a team like KY, who got Levis, has a better situation (for this year) at QB than we do (through the transfer portal)
    I just think you have to try to win, and you can't just give a QB playing time so they don't leave. Saban didn't do it with Tua and Hurts.

2. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is not the MSM, this is the garbage media. Anyone with a computer and an agenda can spew.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

Just an interesting side note. Fields is the starting QB of the Bears and a 1st rd draft pick. Fromm is a practice squad QB for the Bills, drafted in the 5th rd, released and resigned to the PS.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fromm and Fields were both 5 stars, which is exactly my point.

Smart made a bad decision. Each situation stands on it's own. From from a QB skills perspective, both Fromm and Fields were more advanced than EJ and AR at this point.

5. swampspring

swampspring GC Hall of Fame

Dec 13, 2009
    Right, but Daniel's was a transfer and they still have a two star starting now. But even beyond that, as you said, they still have the luxury of multiple 5 star backups now. They didn't have it when Fields was there. Which is why that situation is similar to ours now. We can't afford to worry if someone like AR leaves because like Georgia at that time, we aren't loaded with stud backups as far as we know. And our starter isn't a star. Not yet at least. He's a top 3 qb of the last ten years for sure but after Trask, it's a huge drop off so that isn't saying much.

AR might never be anything more than a talent. I don't know. I know he has a high ceiling and huge potential and losing him would give me cause to worry. That's all I'm saying, like losing Fields for Georgia or Cam for Florida, losing AR would concern me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    “Stubborn seems to be his kryptonite.” This.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Given that EJ has another year of eligibility, and I don't see any NFL wanting him if he leaves early, we may very well be having this same conversation next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Um, which conversation? I distinctly see two, if you read the threads correctly. And the "other" conversation is NOT going away until next season.

9. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Gunner Stockton, who broke DeShaun Watson’s HS record for total TDs this weekend, is a 4* that will undoubtedly get his fifth star before graduation.

Chance JTD comes back due to missing so much PT this year. Bennett gone. UGA QB room in 2022 could look like:
    JTD - 5*
    Vandergriff - 5*
    Stockton - 5*
    Beck - 4* but will hit the portal if JTD stays or beat out by Vandergriff or Stockton.

Stockpiling talent is a great thing, even if some leave at some point. Hopefully OC Monken has input on who is the best guy.

if you tell me you didn’t wish you had 3 5*’s in your QB room next year…

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  10. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    The conversation about which QB to play.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Or who starts and gets most of the reps, or transfers, if anyone. They don't really strike me as being mutually exclusive, because it ultimately will all come to who plays.

12. gatorbuff

gatorbuff Sophomore

Jun 5, 2010

Totally agree. I would've preferred to see AR play all second half. If there was ever a team the Gators should've scored a truckload of points against in the first half, it would be Vandy! This is the type of game where the starters should play the first half, then the backups play the second half and get the experience. We may not have too many more blowout games where backups can get the snaps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Of course we don't know how AR does in practice, but it seems as though CDM doesn't want to give AR meaningful game-time snaps so he won't have the opportunity to win the starting job. I vaguely recall Danny Wuerffel not being a great practice player, but he was a gamer (most of the time). Barring injury, EJ is going to be our QB until he leaves.

14. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Did not read the prior post, way too long but cool the jets on AR. Against uk and Vandy, he looked ok but nothing special. Give him time in the program and see. Hopefully, he can play a whole quarter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    It was almost like while AR made some amazing plays, they were against some lower level crap defenses.
    And that Mullen knew that a decent SEC type defense would have chewed him up.

I mean the kid has potential, but to get so excited about great plays vs crap defenses makes me wonder how intelligent many of our fans are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm guessing that there's a distinction of what a "great practice player" is. If AR were making the correct reads in practice, but his throws were off target; that to me would warrant getting a chance to see if he's a gamer on the field. My guess is that he's not making the correct reads in practice. I don't think DM is going to give that much time to a QB that isn't consistently making the correct reads in practice; and I would agree that it isn't something that would just click because you're more focused in a real game situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    this is where a good discussion can go straight to the toilet. Your post makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Another point that might be considered is that EJ and AR could be looking better in practice than they do in games is because our secondary ain't very good and maybe they struggle against teams who can consistently cover our receivers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    To be fair, the starting QB threw 4 INTs vs those crap defenses and didn't have near the great plays with about 5x more opportunity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think you are correct about practice. But I will never be convinced that EJ is making the right reads and throws in practice either.