Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: DB Wardell Mack Commits To The Florida Gators Over Texas

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator, Aug 15, 2023.

1. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True, but very slightly more than zero.

I know the argument is that we aren't at that elite place yet to "force" kids to shut it down, etc. But if you are interviewing for a job and accept one, you sure as heck don't continue interviewing. Or if you do, you're disingenous and don't let your newly accept boss know about it. I'm not a fan of allowing it, esp because it is typically to our (better recruiting) rivals that kids keep taking visits.

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Nobody is a fan of it, but you can’t even keep kids from looking around after they’re on campus these days.

3. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is valid point. Pretty tough to both REEL IN and RETAIN good college football players. I sure hope we see some sort of standardization of NIL$ sooner than later, or there will always be greener pastures (pun intended).

4. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Rest assured, there won’t be any sort of standardization. Even if the schools start paying directly and the players agree to salary caps, it won’t eliminate the NIL deals or the entities that arrange them. The third part money is here to stay, and no sort of salary cap is going to change or limit that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agreed, nor will "cheating" ever stop. In fact, I see it (cheating) escalating to levels that would take the average college football fans breath away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Saw on X that Billy (or our staff) told him he wasn’t committed if he was still taking visits, so he decommitted. We are still recruiting him though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm actually glad to hear that. Recruit with balls. We should never have to beg people to come here - one of the premier universities in nation, NFL grade facilities, Sunshine State, etc. VERY few schools have more to offer football players than we do.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Wonder if Billy and company picked up on another troll job by Georgia and took the first step.

I didn't think I could dislike a coach more than jimbo or Mickey Andrew's but man.....I can't stand Kirby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Spurrier would just say, "bye" to anyone that needed convincing more than a tour of our facilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Everything wasn’t so public back then and every single move he made wasn’t criticized by the entire fanbase. We already have fans throwing hissy fits that one or two of our recruits are still taking visits. Very few people even knew who we were recruiting back then until they were signed. You had dozens of people following that stuff. Now you have thousands of people following every visit from every possible recruit and throwing fits every time we don’t get one. Also a whole lot more money being thrown around today, and there ain’t a whole lot of kids who just want to be a Gator no matter what.

Spurrier also didn’t have every major program in the country trying to pluck every top player in the state.

Things are just way too different nowadays to make any reasonable comparison to the way Spurrier did things.

Regardless of what some folks think, the UF name doesn’t just recruit itself. It takes a lot of work, and, more now than ever before, a whole lot of money too.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly... the players win every time... and schools get screwed.

12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The schools had almost complete control for a long, long time. The kids have a lot of control now. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville

And it damn sure takes more than 6 wins a season!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well said