Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Arkansas

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 23, 2019.

1. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    A lot has changed in the 40 years since then. Walmart, Tyson, etc. money has done a lot for Northwest Arkansas and it's grown a lot and become very nice. Makes "best places to live" lists every year.

He did a great job recruiting at Arkansas before. Just a few examples:

4* Denver Kirkland from Florida over Miami
    4* Frank Ragnow from Minnesota (first round draft pick)
    4* Dan Skipper from Colorado - flip from Tennessee
    Sebastian Tretola (all-SEC and Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner for SEC’s best interior lineman)

It’s definitely an unorthodox hire. But wasn’t Dabo hired as a WR coach? Our players loved him when he was here and if he never left for Georgia I think Bielema eventually works out at Arkansas. Best recruiter and OL coach in college football IMO. Definitely need to give him a lot of money for assistants since he has a lot of SEC connections. We obviously struck out on some guys but seeing what Coach O is doing with LSU probably thought we could do something similar. All we need is someone to stabilize the program, not win the SEC or anything.

Losing Pittman was when it all started to go downhill for Bielema. The OL has been one of the worst in college football ever since. Pittman couldn't stand working for Bielema. One time he had a visit set up with a highly rated OL and Bielema apparently "forgot" about the visit and was on a vacation in the Bahamas with Jen when the recruit was visiting and the recruit was put off that he couldn't meet the head coach during the visit and ended up signing somewhere else. Pittman was pissed and I think that was the last straw for him. Alabama actually tried to hire him before Georgia did but we gave him a raise and were able to keep him.

It will be interesting to see what Pittman wants his offense to look like. From most accounts he wants to go with a power run RPO scheme, not as much pro style as it was under Bielema. I think Rich Rod would be a perfect fit but it sounds like we're targeting Colorado's OC who was the OC at Minnesota under Tracy Claeys.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The Hogs didn’t exactly break the piggy bank..

Arkansas: Sam Pittman’s deal with the Razorbacks is for five-years and starts at $3 million annually, Steve Berkowitz tweets and adds that the contract gets extended by a year (up to two times during the initial term) if the Razorbacks play in a bowl game.

3. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    Also a $750,000 raise each time he wins 8+ games. Very incentive-based. Not a huge buyout either which is refreshing.

4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    That's Jay Johnson at OC. Good coach. Did a lot of good work with Fromm when he was an analyst here. Not sure how good of a recruiter he is though.

I'm sure the offense will be built around a power run game. Pittman's biggest asset is his ability to recruit top flight OL prospects, so making that the bread and butter of your offense only makes sense. Arkansas will probably see some mid-high 4* players show up as possibilities before that never would have happened otherwise. And that will filter down to the skill players, probably RBs more so than WRs.

Going back through our commit list after last night one name that jumps out is Chad Lindberg. Mid-tier 4* guy from Texas who was likely only coming here because of Pittman and the kind of project prospect that would do well with SP. I could see him ultimately landing with Arkansas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    We definitely need OL in the worst way. We had 4* Texas OT Ty'Keist Crawford committed but he eventually decommitted after we kept getting blown out and showing no progress. Sounds like he could consider us again now. If Chad Morris ends up as Auburn's OC I'm sure he will try to poach some of our former commits and current players too.

6. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Long time... good friend of mine that I know in Georgia just called me about an hour ago. He is a decades long booster, as was his father, etc. He eats, drinks and breathes Georgia football. He and his father have had primo season tickets since the late 60's.
    Pretty much said the same thing that we are all saying on this board.
    That Sam Pittman was a tremendous Offensive Line Coach and a phenomenal recruiter... and that the Georgia fanbase is taking this Pittman loss much worse than losing to L.S.U.
    Ouch!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    Just hired Brad Davis as OL coach

8. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    8+ games huh? The University won't have to worry about paying that ever.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    Oh, Brad Davis! That will get Arkansas back to the t....errrr like 4-8!

Honestly, Arkansas should have just stuck with Bielema. Y'all could have consistently been like 6-6, won an SEC game or two a year and stayed in your place at the middle-bottom of the league.

10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Yeah, it could be awhile hey, or maybe never.. Arky has lost 19 SEC conference games in a row. The longest SEC losing streak by a team other than Vandy since 1970.

He does have a couple of other bonus levels:

In any one year, he would get the best one raise of: --$250,000 for 6 wins
    $500,000 for 7 wins
    $750,000 for 8 or more wins

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    Pittman leaving is what caused Bielema's downfall. He was close to winning 9-10 games a few years in a row but never could quite get over the hump. Someone put it this way and I think it's pretty accurate: Bielema's tenure was death by 1,000 cuts. Morris was more like taking a bazooka to the face. It was heading in the wrong direction already but Morris cratered it.