Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Arik Gilbert.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator4ever39, Jan 2, 2021.

1. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    Still comes down to reps and situations. There aren’t enough reps in a game week to split 50/50. Hence, limited play selection for the #2 for the week especially in situational opportunities. I agree that AR should have access to most if not all the playbook b/c of the similar chakra stick of both players. I just dont think DM would send in the #2 to run something not repped in practice a substantial amount of time for the given situation.

Keep in mind it is possible to go with a scripted approach for a drive where the whole drive is scripted like the opening series for the game. The only time recently i remember DM Mullen opening the playbook was AU 2 years ago when KT left in the 2nd Q. EJ had a lot of varied plays on the one drive.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

Or we can chill on the assuming EJ or AR aren't going to run effective offenses and let Dan do his work. Or are you saying CDM is not a QB whisperer? CDM develops QBs and we've seen his work and we have seen what he does with QBs going from being the backup to the starter. And IF the Offensive Line ever improves in the run blocking game then that will make the QB even more effective. I do not and will not bow down to the nonsense view that you have to have a DT QB to have an effective running game when everyone in the history of the game have done the run game with a traditional approach and have had extremely successful ventures doing it that way. And there is nothing saying you cannot have an effective traditional style run game and mix it with the spread and spread option type offenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I like him too but who was it that said” if you have two qbs, you don’t have a qb.”? I saw the need for Timmy to come in in 06 as it was a totally different package but I’m not so sure about alternating these two. Play the next one and have the other ready to play in case of injury.
    Mop up for experience.

4. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

You can't put yourself into the box of thinking 4k passing yards and 40 passing TDs is the only way that the offense can be as good. For as great as our offense was this year, there were a lot of deficiencies. I think it would be really interesting to go back and take those swing routes and screens then remove them from the passing stats and see what you get for passing since those plays were used to make up for our terrible running game. The stats show our running game has been in a decline each year that CDM has been here and I'm sure he wants that fixed. We're nowhere near balanced. Would the offense be as good if it was 3k yards passing but another 1500 yards rushing? yes, or even another 1k yards rushing. Yes. If a QB passes for 25 TDs but we score an extra 20 TDs on the ground. that's a win. Offense is a team sport.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I just don’t see “situational” plays where one would be better than the other. This isn’t Leak and Tebow and showing your hand as to what may be coming between two similar qbs hurts more than any slight advantage one above may give on a certain play.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Third and one being an automatic first down run is as important as anything an offense can do. The entire stadium knows it’s coming and the defense can’t do anything about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    yes, but that all depends on winning those battles in the trenches which is something we've not been able to do consistently for a while. Hopefully that changes

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We haven’t been able to do it at all ,much less consistently .

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

I believe CDM will have package for AR as that is what CDM does with his backups. Put them in for snaps that matter and give them meaningful experience in situations that will allow AR to succeed. AR is a big dude and looked really smooth out there vs Oklahoma.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

There have been a few times we've been able to do it. But that's all on the OL there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Which battles? Our pass blocking must have been pretty good amd run game overall was decent right?

12. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    My last paragraph specifically says Dan will likely scheme around them. Let’s not get hot and bothered because we’re trying to evaluate what we have at QB. I still contend that for 2 guys that likely do similar things AR is a better athlete so why wouldn’t he be used more if Dan schemed the same?

Just an observation, but we know loyalty will be a part of this too so EJ will get the bulk of the reps unless something goes wrong.

I also have no clue where the last part of your post is coming from, I never said you have to have a DT QB to run. Obviously it gives you different flexibility as you have a +1 runner, but a great passing QB opens up the run game due to the defense loading up the backfield (and vice versa with play action). If you can get even a few holes on the line...which didn’t happen this year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

Did I say you said that? no, but many believe you need a DT to run the ball which is just STUPID. it gives a plus 1 but if your OL does their job then you can run all over the other team and the QB just sit there looking pretty. We'll see a QB who does that tomorrow night.

14. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    You quoted me so it’s a natural assumption that you were replying to something I said. I think it’s obvious that you don’t need a DT to run the ball but Mullen’s offenses in particular are more capable running the ball when they have a DT QB vs. Pro Style.

Part of the problem is personnel on the OL - if you have a pure passer then you may choose linemen that can stand up and backpedal better than lean forward and plow. Ideally we want both but Hevesy doesn’t get elite talent, he coaches guys up and manages the personnel.

Delance, for example, was an artist at falling backwards in a predictable manner that Trask could dance around lol. So we’d play him over someone less predictable that might give more resistance and/or get downfield blocking when running the ball outside the tackle.

15. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    Different argument for sure. It appears you are saying AR is going to be the better player next year totally, get that. If EJ wins the job then no reason to play AR except in mop up duty, correct? I’m not in favor for a rotation when the skill set is comparable let the starter play in the meaningful minutes. We will need a adequate run game with whoever is the RB hopefully less of a committee, to take pressure off the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I want to see Dexter at full back and AR at tail back on short yardage.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    The running game is not going to be any better next year unless we bring in 5 All American OL thru the portal. Just cuz EJ can run better than KT does not mean the running game will be good. In fact the D's are probably going to stack the box even more with less chance of getting burned by the pass.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
  18. GatorKenW

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

The question then would become, how many years or mediocre OL play can Mullen live with?

• Like Like x 1
  19. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Gotta get em on the same "stuff" as the gumps and mutts. Problem solved.

20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Doubt they can or they would have.