Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Arik Gilbert.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator4ever39, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    He really doesn't look like a True Freshman with no Spring college weight program completed, does he?:
    [​IMG]
    He is jacked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    One of the qbs will work out

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I remember being concerned about QB play years back and there would always be a Kerwin Bell, Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel or Rex Grossman type that would play for the first time and be great. Mullen is a great QB coach. Emory has been here for 3 years and AR going on 2. Now we have Del Rio and Kitna to sit and watch for a year just learning. How often do you have a former high 4 star (former Ohio State verbal) and even 5 star at one time early on at one of the services that sits for 3 years waiting his turn? I agree we will be fine at QB, as Wanne stated above

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I hope you’re right. Would be nice. I’m more concerned with DM leaving soon though.

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That could happen and I do think he has a lot to do with qb development. Stars from high school don’t always pan out. Mullen can help these kids reach their potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    A super recruiter like Mario would likely come back from Oregon due to wife’s desire to be in Florida. However, then you likely have a Zook that is a great recruiter, but not a brilliant offensive mind and never reach the top. The next coach after Mullen has to be similar to Mullen and Spurrier in talent and ability. We need a high scoring offense.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, there was that "gap" of Herbert Perry, the MLB player as our QB, then Kyle Morris. I am less concerned w/ qb position play for 2021 due to EJ's time here, his physical abilities, Mullen qb coaching, and offensive weapons at WR, TE, and RB. Only if we had an average OL.

8. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    People are going to be pleasantly surprised at just how developed our qb position is early in the year...don’t say I didn’t tell you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. KSAGator

KSAGator Junior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    I will never be accused of being a huge Mullen fan. But I can’t fathom why anyone would be concerned specifically about our QB play with his track record going back all the way to Utah.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Exactly. Can we expect Jones to pick up where Trask left off passing? Prolly not, but he’ll be fine throwing the rock. Can we expect Jones to run far better than Trask. Uh yeah.

Where I think Jones and any other QB not named Trask will demonstrate a step back is in reading defenses and going thru progressions quickly. That will get better with time, but out of the gate, may be evident that Jones needs some experience in that department.

I like Jones’ game. It’s just different than Trask. I think AR15 will explode onto the scene late next year or the following year. He’s going to be REALLY good. Like CFP good.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You make a good point. But let’s say Bowman really was serious about UF - but who can blame a kid for being enamored with Clemson in the months following them winning the national championship? So he takes the leap and then realizes it’s not as wonderful as he was led to believe — and uses the family hardship as the justification to go back to his first love.

You could look at that situation more as a statement about Clemson than a negative reflection on UF.

Orange & Blue colored glasses? Perhaps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

Considering we were irrelevant for pretty much the entire time these kids were following college football, it’s unrealistic to expect them to consider us as seriously as those 4 or 5 other teams. We are beginning to show up on their radar but still haven’t won a championship of any kind in 13 years. As you say above, it’s a building process.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We’ve heard plenty of statements from recruits and their families supporting what you say here

• Like Like x 1
  14. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    And it is a long game approach. It won’t pay off as much as the snake oil salesman in year 1-4 but as high school coaches, families and “handlers” get to know CDM and trust him and realize he is upfront and honest.. the payoff comes down the road. One reason certain coaches have a limited life span at every place they coach.... after 4-5 years the BS is well known..) We are starting to see some of that when hearing some of the recruiting rumors going around. Certain coaches are getting a rep for saying anything and everything... promising the moon. Others are just up front and honest. of course this take into consideration the McDonalds bags of cash, the Ford Raptors, or the Dodge Challengers....

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Your first statement says it all. The “I want it now” crowd doesn’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    So, pretty much everyone under the age of 30. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Not being prescient, I don’t know if Dan Mullen is the answer or not; but I don’t particularly want to participate in our own version of “Groundhog Day” quite yet.
    Both the coaches widely acclaimed as the two best in Florida football history lost 4 games in their 3rd year.
    Spurrier’s included a 30-6 trashing by the mighty Bulldogs of Mississippi State and Jackie Sherrill (better known for his bovine abuse), and a drubbing by the Vols 31-14.
    Meyer’s losses were closer, and to better teams, but at the end of the season they still totaled 4
    losses.
    We can say “yeah but they just felt different “ all we want, but if we use the same criteria we seem disposed to use on Mullen, many would have called for their ouster. Spurrier in particular.
    Many, many big boosters didn’t want Spurrier to begin with. He had the same reputation many associate with Mullen; too lazy to recruit and way too loyal to staff.
    The time may come when Dan Mullen goes on his own or is encouraged to leave, but let’s wait a awhile before we crank up Sonny and Cher over and over again.
    The odds are against us finding relevance in anything shorter than ten years in that scenario, and I’m too old for that crap.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mcogator

mcogator All American

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Wtf

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend