Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Arik Gilbert.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator4ever39, Jan 2, 2021.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Think I read 6 or 7th

2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm not splitting hairs, just asking a question. As I said- I'm not being salty.
    I mean- when we lost Bowman this board lost its mind. It showed we would never win anything, never beat UGA. Mullen can't recruit.
    All for one recruit.
    So now we have gained this recruit, PLUS Bowman. Who so many have said was even bigger than Bowman.

But yet, I'm not seeing anyone apologize, or say- "wow I was wrong."
    Maybe Mullen can recruit- at least once the players leave HS. Since we just signed a guy better than Bowman, PLUS Bowman himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I definitely get what you're saying. I think Bowman was viewed as such a big loss because we were in his final two, he's from an area in Lakeland with very strong Gator ties, and we hadn't really landed a top flight running back yet and were desperate for one. Whereas Gilbert never really considered us out of HS and we had done ok with TE recruiting. So while he's higher rated, I don't think any one really thought of him as miss per se, just a kid that was never coming here (at the time).

• Like Like x 2
  4. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I don’t exactly follow you. It’s unbelievably great these two fell to us but u still can’t plan a talent acquisition plan around hoping studs become unhappy where they were and want to come here. If bowmans grandad doesn’t pass away and Gilbert doesn’t have whatever happen then we’re back where we were. We were a fortunate recipient of an unfortunate circumstance for them. That’s no way to plan or run a business or any type. We’re back to this all one way or the other convo that goes on in here way too often. I don’t feel getting these two studs is a referendum in any way no matter which side any of us stand on. Jmo

5. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So is it by pure accident that we landed 4 5-star transfers in the last two years? Gotta give credit where it’s due. Mullen is doing something right. Whether you credit it to recruiting or not is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    With this different style of qb play coming this year, get ready for Me. Shuttle!?

7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    When we won the track national championship due to a dropped baton our track coach, Mouse Holloway, was asked about being lucky.
    He said I think of luck as "preparation meets opportunity."
    So yeah, was it lucky that TAMU dropped a baton in the 4x400 (which is rare.) Sure.
    But still- we had to be in position to win, had to do 100 things right to be in that position. And we took advantage.

So if this was a broken program, a program that was in the same place as it was under Mus/Mac, then no way, no how do we pick up these 2.

We are doing a lot of things right. We need to do MORE things right, but only the willfully blind can't see all the good things going on.
    It doesn't make me a "pumper" to point that out.

But I promise you in 2 weeks, there will be many moaning about our lowly recruiting rankings- and how we will "never" beat UGA, Bama, etc with such a deficit of talent.
    (Not directed at you.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I don’t think it makes u a pumper. I also don’t think that most of those who feel that recruiting needs to be upped are negative nellies either. It’s the lunatic fringe of this argument on BOTH ENDS that bugs the piss outta me.

With all due respect no I don’t see a correlation between the track title and this scenario but to each his own.

To be clear , I think I do know the guys on here ur referring to and I like many others don’t like being lumped in because the convo gets muddied. I try not to lump dudes with level headed arguments in with the ones who are obscene pumpers either. I just prefer the subject be parsed further when engaging bec often times the people that think they’re seriously disagreeing really are not.

For instance I think the portal and Dan’s handling of it is phenomenal and am very happy he’s as good at it as he is but I absolutely do not want him to plan complete roster building around it by hoping what he needs will always be there, again I just don’t think that is a sound strategy for any business

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Freshman

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Recruiting is, at least to a large degree a self fulfilling prophecy. Winning begets better recruiting, better recruiting begets more winning.
    The top three or four teams have locked in to this cycle.
    Georgia thought they had broken into this circle by recruiting on par, or better than Alabama and Clemson. Unfortunately for them winning at that level also involves coaching to a certain extent (the exact balance between coaching and recruiting is anyone’s guess).
    Getting talent via the portal is absolutely not the long term answer, the best use it to fill spot needs; however I think it is possible to use it to insert a team a team into that cycle of winning begets recruiting and Vice a versa. The question is can Mullen and UF be the team to pull it off.
    I frankly don’t know, but short of displacing Georgia (by whatever means they achieved their recruiting prowess) , it seems the portal is Mullen’s only chance to break through to that self fulfilling circle.

10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The portal is the new reality, and we have benefitted from it immensely. Bowman and Gilbert aren't the only studs we got through the portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I get you and you make a good point. Yet, how many guys were t=otherwise inclined to go to Florida, but for a similar circumstance that caused them to go to another school? All the lucky circumstances that have supposedly nothing to do with our coaches, school, academics, campus, etc don't just happen at Florida. Bowman might have come to Florida originally but for his grandfather living up there. I wouldn't call Clemson's recruiting of him fruitless bc they got lucky he had family near there. It happens everywhere. Every school has a story to tell. Plus, Bowman , Gilbert, Cox, and Shorter could have chosen Texas or USC or Oklahoma , Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State ...They chose Florida. Luck is as much a part of winning and recruiting as anything else. I'm glad they are here, regardless of the reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    UF has really benefitted from the Portal...we have had several impact players join UF to make a difference whereas I can't think of anyone that left UF in the portal and has made an impact elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    You could almost say Coach Mullen is an expert at working it. We have had too many good transfers to call it a coincidence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    We have some kind of system and I suspect a staff member or 2 that really work it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Assuming all immediately eligible, using 247Sports calculator, these 4 transfers (not including the kicker who had none) total about 67 points. That's using points at the time they were HS recruits. With experience, weight training, etc. as transfers they should be better than that. When added to our current point total we'd now have 330 points, ahead of Bama for #1.

• Like Like x 1
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    Yeah but he would save everyone around here a heart attack if he could get them out of high school.

I think once these kids get de-recruited at their chosen school they may start thinking "hey that Mullens guy wasn't so bad". I think Dan';s recruiting style is a little more honest with these kids and that is something you can't count on until you see it in the rear view mirror.

• Like Like x 2
  17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    Anyone think that the SEC is going to allow his waiver to play next year?

I don't. Every opportunity they get to screw us they will take. If he wanted to play next year he should have went to Bama or UGAG. No waiver required, no questions asked.

18. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    Back in the day Wilbur Marshall "worked" in the off season for the Parks and Recreation Dept. of a certain county in Fla. I knew the director of that county and can repeat what he told me; that is that Wilbur was paid a very nice salary for his labors.

19. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    They do like to screw us but they won't in this case.

20. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    We would probably have a similar system/org as the gumps nowadays if it hadn't been for the hammering by the scumbag NCAA in the mid 80's. They knew that we would dominate like no other school before or since if they didn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1