Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Are we better with Kerry on the bench? Statistical breakdown

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Feb 13, 2020.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Plenty of praise for how Glover handled his minutes and the team this weekend, but you know what else happened when we finally pulled away in the 1st half?

The OP/KB combo. I think we were up about 8pts w/11:00 to go when these two hit the floor, and it was 20+ 8:00 later.

Not saying this alone made it happen - but I can't recall a time both were on the floor at same time and good things didn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Both are more effective when they're on the floor together. Kerry brings the experience and knowing how to play the game, and covers up a lot of Omar's inexperience mistakes. Omar benefits by the attention defenders have to pay to Kerry, and is freer to use his sheer athleticism to make plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Correct in all observations.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    They hang out on the baseline for spacing. We want a double-gap for driving the ball. The setup (for DDO) should have the 5 on the weakside low block (i.e. opposite to the side where the PG will make his initial penetration). The PG should get a layup or dump-off to the 5 for a layup or he kicks it out to the 2 guard (who rotates slightly to the top of the key) or to the corner where either now have a double-gap (made by the PG vacating his initial area on the drive) to drive to the basket.

The graphic below shows NBA effective FG % by location of the shot (combined % off the dribble & catch/shoot, w/ C/S of course having a higher EFG%). We should be getting points off of penetration/dump-off layups, then by FT's from either of these two actions, then corner three's, then wing three's.

upload_2020-2-17_13-9-49.png

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    When KB is at the 5 and is floating around the 3 point line we get dominated on the boards. Somewhere between coaching and skillset, that is a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean honestly, I am not suggesting the KB is a rock star. But you are out of your mind that he should be off the floor. Respect your posting history. But you are in outer Space.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    KB is an excellent defensive rebounder. He is tough to stop without fouling when he is isolated one on one down low. He is a great passing big man. He is our best player.

• Like Like x 1
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I've got not problem being wrong. I just noticed what I thought was a trend when he hasn't been in the game.

I did just go look up PER, for what that is worth, and KB is 4th in the SEC.

9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I saw that we missed (didn't pass the ball) Lewis on a handful of occasions where he was creeping along the baseline to get in position for a possible backdoor alley-oop behind Vandy's zone defense. After the team gets a chance to review the game tape, I have a feeling we might see that pass made against a zone defense soon. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    From what I see, DDO requires a lot of communication & teamwork/feel for your teammates as well as the ability to drive (which, in thinking of last year's team we seemed to have little communication & a lot of 1:1). I hope it's starting to click & players will see Lewis, et al just before they come open as the possession unfolds.

11. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Earlier in the year, I faulted him for often being out of position but in the 2nd half of the year he's much better. KB leads the team in defensive rebounding % (how many they get while on the floor).

• Informative Informative x 1