Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Are college intentionally contracting the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    You could cancel the season and the infection rate among college football players would still likely be that high. College campuses are going to be a breeding ground for this thing. Wouldn’t surprise me though to get to the end of this and have the number of college student cases where the symptoms were common cold-esque or less to be well north of 50%.

The problem becomes when the age groups that are less susceptible to the worst of this gets it and unknowingly spreads it the age/health groups that are more likely to get the worst of the symptoms and ultimate outcomes. I'm not sure how stop that from happening though outside of all the schools shutting down again.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I'm going to skip my own personal thoughts about the coronavirus... ...and I do have strong convictions... ...but that just delves into politically tinged arguments.

But on a slightly different note, don't these comments by Esiason say a little bit about what some of the rest of the college football world thinks about the SEC and the lengths its power programs will go to to win? (and Clemson -- which really has belonged in the SEC for years). And of course I think most of us think it is quite plausible some of the teams mentioned may in fact encourage such behavior in order to improve chances of winning in the fall (if there is a football season). I wouldn't put it past them at all.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007

I agree with your assessment of college football players, but what about having 25,000, 50,000 or 90,000 fans in the stands, many alumni over the age of 50, sitting side by side for 4 hours, screaming their lungs out? Hope they make the attendance determination soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair, a very small percentage of the frustration should be directed to the average person. The average person does not know and will never know the full extent of anything.

I lived through the '80s and the AIDs epidemic. The misinformation and bigotry lasted for much longer than a few weeks; on the order of decades. I am talking concentrated, consistent BS, spread by politicians, the media and community leaders. People were comparing it to leprosy - people with a teleprompter.

Wasn't it god's punishment towards "f***"?

Regardless of how you feel about LGBT rights, the fact that 40 years later, a lot of people still feel it's God's "punishment" instead of a basic "immunodeficiency" speaks to the power of influence with a disease.

At some point, we just ought to realize that this is how human beings respond to a new disease. The public are a bunch of idiot sponges who soak in whatever they're being told. The anger and frustration should be directed at whoever is spreading false narratives.

And not to get conspiracy theorist, basically every is spreading some degree of BS.

The CDC said 'no masks, they're not effective', then 'wear masks, even a little protection is better than none', then 'there is a ~90% effectiveness by taking your dirty underwear and taping it across your face'.

Not that last one, per se, but now various petri dishes are showing up on Facebook with zero citations, nor responses from credible sources, and there are articles are being written by Australian papers claiming a 90% effectiveness to wearing masks because there are 90% fewer COVID-19 hospitalizations and wearing masks is the only thing that was different or something (which the average person knows is BS).

What I am saying is, after all this, the average person has a right to be incredulous. And if you want to blame people for why, blame the people with the teleprompters.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Intentionally...no...are some programs relieved they are going through it now and not later...yes! No season is going to happen in the fall. Our need to be entertained is not greater than the safety of student-athletes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't see any way you can have more than about 20% capacity in a stadium and figuring out who gets in and who doesn't just seems to be more of a mess than anything else, which is why I think that if we get college football this fall (and I'd say that is 50/50 at best at this point) there won't be any fans in the stands. And because of that I'm sure you'll see more and more programs not play this season. 1-AA, Division II and HBCUs will probably go first and then D1 programs in conferences with TV deals that are small enough to not make the math work. After that I'm really curious to see what the Pac 12 does if the rest of the Power 5 plays. I could easily see them sitting out this season entirely regardless of what everyone else does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    How much will greed drive decisions on this? A MASSIVE amount of $$$ on the line this fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I can believe players might actually discuss doing something like this, but with all that's unknown about Covid-19 and all the possible side effects and risk of something going horribly wrong, I can't believe that coaches would allow it and I can't imagine any college athlete who believes they have an NFL career in their future would choose to assume the risks for a season they don't even know will take place, especially since they aren't paid, at least contractually.

9. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    More than just greed. A lot of athletic departments will be in financial peril with no college football season. Football and men's basketball are the straws that stir the drink for all of the other sports. Several schools had to completely eliminate programs after the loss of spring sports. That would be elevated an order of magnitude if there is no football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    It's not just schools being greedy either. Seriously, I need college football, even if it's just on TV with no fans. I was actually watching the replay of the Auburn/Oregon game a couple days ago.

The schools need the TV revenue. The networks need the ad revenue (think of how bad the ESPN ratings must be now). The fans need something to watch. The players need a chance to show their skills to the NFL.

If they can make it safe, and I think if MLB can do it, college football can, there's no reason for them not to play, even without fans. Right now, I think TV ratings would go through the roof.

11. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm with you all the way, but you can see the other side's argument a mile away. An unpaid labor force putting themselves at risk to be part of a TV show. The NBA at this point is hedging on their re-start and they are going to be in a completely controlled environment. Even golf is having issues keeping guys from having to withdraw because of COVID.

12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    • Like Like x 1
  13. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    How are they going to handle the dreaded flu like symptoms when they talk about players before games....will that be interpreted as Covid or a hangover?

14. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    [​IMG]

15. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder how many STAR players will test positive the week before playing bammer?

16. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Football players could go to full face shields within the mask structure to reduce risk. Players tested 1 and 2 days prior to the game day. All negative tested players/coaches/staff quarantined until game time. No fans in the lower 10 rows. Ticket numbers reduced. There are ways to get the season played. Hopefully we will both see it and protect all involved until a viable vaccine is available. Safety first!

17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    upload_2020-7-2_9-33-33.jpeg
    New Gator uniforms are out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  19. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh I think we can put just a tad bit if it on blatantly lying, misleading, disingenuous politicians, don't you?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.