Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Are college intentionally contracting the Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    It sure would backfire on these teams if someone died from it and the players said the coaches and school were supporting that they contract the virus before the season starts as Boomer suggests.

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Just rub a little bit of it on the steering wheel of each new Raptor and who’s gonna know?

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Boomer needs to stop sniffing glue and toss out the tinfoil hat.

15% of any one hundred 20 year olds isn't shocking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    It's a ridiculous assertion- the odds are against it but what if a player got ill from this. (Odds of death from this are lower than the flu for this age group, but they certainly could get seriously ill.)
    Think how angry that player and family would be.

But I didn't know Clemson was up to 37 positive cases. I'd love to know if all are mild or asymptomatic.
    It would be a good guide for the rest of the teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. prisch1

prisch1 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    I tend to think the players that have contracted it so far have had pretty mild symptoms--with perhaps some with something more significant akin to the flu.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just think if a Clemson player (or any major college player) had become seriously ill from Covid it would have made the news.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    The way this virus works, even apparently asymptomatic cases often cause long lasting degradation in lung capacity among a host of other potential impacts. That scary for me, an out of shape 30-something. For an elite athlete, that means real $$. Moreover kids would be spreading to their teammates who didn't sign up for the plan. Incentives for the players are clearly aimed at staying healthy. Now the coaches on the other hand have an incentive to push this, though I'm sure most care more about the kids than the paycheck. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well that's what you get from the NY post.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

They're going for herd immunity

10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'd love to hear the data on this...
    How many elite athletes have had any "long lasting degradation in lung capacity" from this?
    I haven't heard of any, but there's so much news on this there's a good chance I missed it with all the other insanity going on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    You won't see a study on elite athletes...way too limited sample size. But Google Lung Damage Asymptomatic you'll see a host of articles from left and right wing sources. As with everything Coovid, things move too fast for a peer review (and that's a bad process to begin with), but even if the studies aren't perfect, its a scary risk for an athlete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Absent a vaccine or curative treatment everyone who’s susceptible to contracting Covid is gonna get it, unless you’re living in a bubble or on the space station.

The only real benefit of getting it later vs now is that depending on how much later you get it may allow for a treatment or prevention breakthrough to develop. Otherwise if you’re one of those who’s susceptible to catching it, you gonna have to shoulder whatever the disease has in store for you now or later.

Our neighbors both had it. Husband and wife in their 40s. Said it was like the flu, but lasted about 6 days instead of 2-3. Wife was back on her Peloton riding pretty much as usual two weeks after becoming symptomatic.

YMMV

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Too early and not enough information to answer your question.
    But there is lots of (and growing) evidence that some people who contract COVID develop serious lung problems later. Other conditions as well. Too many unknowns still.

It is frustrating to read posts from otherwise intelligent people who say that COVID is this or that when there is still so much unknown about it That is why flattening the curve was (is) so important; to know more and get as many people help as we learn more as possible. The early openings have just short circuited everything....possibly even Fall sports which stood a greater chance had enough people done what they should have for the common good.

Of the 30 or so physicians I know well and Zoom with regularly (from the USA to Chile), all agree on the above. They also agree that the jury is still out on a number of matters regarding COVID, including whether one can get sick multiple times and what that may mean long-term.

The flu comparisons (not referencing Nostradamus above, but 2 cases are not a definition of the disease) are mostly based on one's political orientation, which news channel one listens to and what one wishes to believe. These COVIDs are a different animal. I know many hospitals in Florida, Arizona, Mexico and Brazil are shutting down other units to care for COVID patients. Health care workers are heroes in these places.

There are plenty of places in the world that have taken different approaches and the results are pretty clear EVEN with governments (cough Florida, Mexico, Brazil, cough) covering up information. Don't follow the example of Sweden; look at the places where they actually flattened the curve and nearly extinguished the disease. It should make any reasonable person think twice when places like NZ and Australia, the EU are talking about opening some tourism to each other but not allowing Mexicans or people from the USA in their countries.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    More terrifying is this

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson (differen article) told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

Now back to numb nuts

Other schools are ignored: Kansas State - 14 players
    UCLA with 30
    Dozen + at U Tex
    Iowa State
    Minnesota had 7

It took me 5 minutes to find the stats
    Coronavirus and college sports: Schools' positive tests among athletes

It's irresponsible to suggest what he said.

No one is going to risk severe injuries to those around the football program - parents and teachers and cafeteria works and coaches and GAs INTENTIONALLY

• Like Like x 1
  15. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Panama City, Florida
    Its just click bait!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Lifelong Lung Damage: A Serious COVID-19 Complication

You are right. Death is not the only consideration. You may come away with permanently damaged lungs. And studies show that the brain, heart and kidney are also affected. Yeah...don't go get it just to get it over with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Are they letting in the Chinese?

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Yes, they got the idea from NYC because it worked out so great for them.

20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Would be pretty reckless, but I wouldn't be shocked if some coaches pushed for this... lowkey some of them don't give a damn about the long-term health of their players anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.