Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Are businesses really trying to hire?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 20, 2021.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Every owner of a business I know is working more to pick up the slack due to not enough staff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Here is a thought, make Nancy, AOC and the squad work a day or two and see how the pay to stay at home really affects small businesses, don't think they could survive.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Oh, today is an AOC is too good to work day, not make fun of her for working as a bartender day. Interesting.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    You really do have a thing for forcing people to work, I've lost count the number of times you've made this sort of comment

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    It's going to be difficult to hire women who have young children for $11-12 per hour since the average cost of day care is $300 or more per week, especially if the husband has a decent job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so you would rather they sit on the rear ends and you pay their unemployement, give me some of that money, oh wait, i have a job, my bad.

7. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I like this but I'm not sure about making the contracts for a certain amount of months. There are immigrants on work visas who work unti a project is finished, whether it takes 2 months or a few years. The workers can also bring their families. I know a few immigrants who have done this. Also, I believe some farm workers stay here year round and go from place to place depending on what season it is. Make sure the employers take taxes out too. Maybe part of the withholding would go to medical expenses if the employee needs medical help.

8. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    So what does that have to do with the current labor shortage? That's always been the case.

9. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If they quit their jobs (and that is where most of the unemployed are from), then they aren't eligible for unemployment.

10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    people who lost their jobs from the pandemic and are offered them back but refuse should not get, imo, unemployement or stimulus money. they choose not to work when a job is there.

11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    ThinkI mentioned before but a relative manages civil infrastructure crews. 18 an hour with benefits for entry labor. Just show up. Most applicants are folks fired from last 8 jobs and he thinks just submitting to stay on unemployment. And they say they want 25 an hour to start.

he is having big trouble to get cdl drivers to come back. 6 large dumps sitting in yard unused. They normally higher out to other smaller firms when not needed. Getting hounded by other companies for fill transport, but zero drivers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Women are caring for their children instead of going back to work, especially in lower paid jobs. If you work 40 hours per week at $10 per hour and you're paying $300 or more per week for child care you have very little or no money left over after you pay for child care. In this instance women are deciding to stay home and raise their children rather than go to work and give all of their wages to daycare.

13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Women making 11 an hour and needing to work should have less children. The birth rate is highest among the lowest earners. That needs to change. It's logically backwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so now making no money is better than before?

15. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    In many instances they got other jobs rather than going back to the crappy job they worked before. I don't think the current employment situation is due to workers being lazy but instead they're tired of working at places where they're treated like crap. I think a lot of this is due to the way some employees were treated before they were unemployed and due to the bad reputations their former bosses made for themselves it's going to take a good while for the employers to change their images. The longer and/or more they resist changing their practices the longer it will take for them to hire enough employees for their businesses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    It looks like your relative will have to increase wages and benefits to get fully staffed. He or she should quit complaining and do something constructive to solve this problem. BTW, I think some people have the idea that there's some large amount of CDL drivers who don't want to work. If there are it might be due to low wages, especially in regards to Class B drivers. In Florida a lot of them don't get paid diddly squat. $12-15 per hour for a job that's necessary for many businesses to function is almost a joke. Employers have got themselves in the situation they're in because they've taken advantage of employees by paying them as little as they could with few or no benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    it is amazing that it is almost always the fault of the boss, or the job stunk, never that maybe,just maybe alot of them were sorry employees looking for an excuse.

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The injustice of a restaurant/s owner doing some manual labor and cooking some food in his own restaurants. It ain't right!

19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Jeebus,
    Read entry level labor jobs. Healthcare, sick and vacation.
    The CDL, crane operators, trades, etc make way, way more money.

20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    A normal distribution from sorry employees to stellar ones & from sorry bosses/biz owners to stellar ones would suggest quite a few on both sides, i.e. about 50% at or below average, 50% at or above average.