Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Are businesses really trying to hire?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 20, 2021.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have 24 job openings but 12 have people on the way in already hired. I usually run with 10-15 openings with about half hired but not started. These are professional jobs. It's been tough to hire great candidates for years. Certain industries are just in high demand: Data scientists, IT folk, data analysts, financial analysis, statistical people, and even business analysts and even managers have all been a test in patience for a few years now. Its a bit harder now but its not like there are no people to hire. Plus many many companies are ramping up offshoring teams but India is getting competitive as well. Salaries bound to go up there in the next few years. Already seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    If employers keep complaining about an inability to hire enough workers, how about this: greatly expand the immigrant work visa amounts to where they can fill just about all job vacancies. Have employers request the amount of workers needed each year and allow that many immigrant workers to be hired, no quotas or any other bullshit like that. Hire how many people you need and go about your business.

3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Same with my wife. She wants to double her business but the exact opposite was happening. It's getting better as the benefits dry up but for awhile it was nearly impossible to find anyone and she did everything known including going to a job fair for ex-cons (she did end up hiring 2 or 3 of them).

I will add one of the other big issues is because she wanted to hire but actually lost about a third of her employees (playing video games and binge watching Netflix while getting paid), that made everyone else work extra and it made it extremely difficult to look over resumes and interview. She ended up doing it but there were a few weeks she hit 120 hours.

4. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Gee, hard to figure how that guy couldn't find work.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    So why do you think all these companies are listing all these dozens of job openings that pay $11 to $17 dollars that I see every week? For shits and giggles?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Legend

Jul 4, 2020
    I have no doubt that small businesses are sincere about their need for people and their lack of ability to find them.

I also have no doubt that large corporations like say major fast food chains might be happier running skeleton crews and pocketing the savings while blaming the poor service customers are getting on "people not wanting to work."

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Kickbacks from Indeed.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You obviously don't know any restaurant chain owners. I know two. They are regularly frying chicken and mopping floors right now to keep food going. Yeah. It's all a money making scheme. They really love frying chicken in their own restaurants.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I have about 10 posted openings in my software department that I'm working to fill - from new grads to senior developers. Have 3 spring 2022 grads lined up today. With remote work options being so prevalent, there's more competition than ever...

• Like Like x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Back in 2004-2008ish, during the construction boom, there was a shortage of workers and the only way to keep workers was to pay more. The owners of the company I worked for were cheap and instead opted to just make everyone work longer hours ... including themselves doing more hands on work. It's not unheard of if the other option is a financial hit or closing down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Financial hit? Fast food is booming. All the fast food chain owners just decided to start working the food line to make an extra 17 dollars an hour? Just a ludicrous thought.

And I'm a GC. If I was swinging a hammer or picking up a job site in the early 2000s, it's because I could not find anyone else to do it for any money at all. Period. I didn't pass up additional project so I could save an extra 800 bucks a week working in the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The owners arent working more lol. They just extract more labor out of the employees they have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    What? I'm talking about the financial hit of having to pay everyone more to attract and keep employees, which is what the owners of construction related companies faced in mid-2000s, and some opted to just work more themselves and ask more of the employees that stayed, rather than pay more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The owners I know can't get anyone to show up for an interview. At all. Money is no issue to them. I asked bluntly if they should pay more. He laughed and said I'll pay whatever it takes to get out of my kitchen. There is no one to even offer.

This isn't an aunts cousins brother story. This is a good friend of mine who owns multiple locations who I talk to often. He said the labor shortage is on level he couldn't have ever imagined. Like I said, I'm a gc, so we complain to each other very often.

16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, I don't believe the "money is not a problem, I'll pay whatever it takes" part. Not doubting he said that, just doubting it's true. I'm sure there is a number he can come up with that would attract McDonald's and Walmart workers, but I'm sure he also knows that he can't offer new hires more than the current staff is making ... So if he wants to go that route, everyone gets a raise.... That's part of the financial hit I mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. njg8tor21

njg8tor21 Freshman

Oct 12, 2021
    The exact careers that I have tried to encourage young people
    to pursue, assuming they have the skills. Even if demand drops off at some point, at least they have that academic base to retrain. If you don't know what you're doing, take lots of math and technical writing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    We are hiring survey rodman (apprentice) $18 per hour, benefits. All the OT you want. Cannot find anybody to show up and work.

Contractors are hiring laborers at $20 per hour plus benefits plus OT. Can't find it

19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and require the employer to fund the tracking system required to know that these migrant labors are temporary and return home after x number of months. A real guest worker program funded by the employers who also have to provide housing. No families, worker comes for temp visit, works, get paid, goes home to family there. Cycle them every 6 - 9 months with others so you have a continuous trained workforce to call, employer provides housing, migrant returns home to be with family and help develop their economy there. You know, a first world guest worker program

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    We are hiring constantly but we are not dropping our standards just to hire anyone, right now I could use probably 10-15 employees but desperately need CDL drivers we pay well but it is tough work. We hire someone they go for the first week then we never see them again.