Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Are businesses really trying to hire?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 20, 2021.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Funny to see the article. Guy claims he applied for 60 entry level job openings, and only got one interview. Which is a similar situation to a friend of mine, her daughter applied at 10 businesses with help wanted signs, and got zero interviews. There is a growing conspiracy theory that businesses aren't really trying to hire, they just put out the help wanted signs to justify slow and crappy service, and make more money with less employees.

A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got one interview

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    send them my way, I could hire 20+ right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Every employer I know can't find help that is willing to show up on time and work.

I had to start people at $25 per hour cash to find any help. I posted on Craiglist as I always have earlier in the year at $20 per hour cash adn receive 0 responses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

I wish I wasn't desperately trying to hire. I've had no issues finding general labor and "unskilled" positions. Still no CDL drivers anywhere.

My guess it's regional and industry specific. I dunno at this point, the labor market is so wonky

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry... Should say "Are businesses" in the title, not sure if I can edit it due to the link triggering a moderator...

6. channingcrowderhungry

I'll second the first part. Even having some success hiring its basically one decent employee for every 2 shit ones. Never seen it like this before. And it's a good paying job, good workplace, low stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My wife’s niece, with no job history, had no problem finding an $18/hr job. My company and my wife’s day care are both hiring.

Seems like the guy was trying to prove something. Without much detail, it’s hard to know if he was trying to sabotage his own job search.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, I had thought about that, could have put some less than desirable things on his application to get it pushed to the bottom ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I read this article in a waiting room this morning. Definitely doubted its veracity.

But where did the workers go? For real though - not bumper sticker catch phrases. Where are they?

UE down to a healthy 4.8%. Participation rate is still a bit low - down to around ~61% from its pre-COVID ~63%.

Is that 2% what's wreaking so much havoc? Maybe that combined with more leaving the workforce (early retirement spiked)? Maybe a shift in where the labor force is working also adds to the mix - exasperating hiring problems in lower level jobs?

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That was my first thought as well. He checks yes to "ever be convicted" of a felony and bam no calls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I think there are any number of businesses who are "hiring" but are also perfectly happy to ride it out until they once again have all the leverage in the labor market.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

We did lose 728k people to Covid. Granted, a lot of those are older folk. But clearly that's a lot of workers

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

This!

14. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Senior

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    I’m sure that some business are holding out for a myriad of reasons (including waiting for the labor market to draw down).

Covid is still ongoing, mandates are changing often, vaccine requirements (and potential penalties) are unknown commodities.

If I was a SBO, I’d be hesitant to go on a hiring binge until covid is truly in the rear view mirror.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    There's also a micro economy out there of people getting income without working a more traditional job. I know people who've quit their job but still do private tutoring and things like that while they plan out their next move. Not enough to never have to work again, but enough to get things in order for new ventures or starting a business. Technically you could call them "unemployed" or "not working" but the economy is so gigified, lots of people know how to earn without formal employment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That's why the IRS needs to see every transaction of $600 or more I guess....

17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Maybe because your grandpa worked all those people too hard sculpting all that granite up in S. Dakota.

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    This is what the capitalists wanted when they made government policy, a nation of gig & temp workers. Sorry it bit them in the ass one time out of 100. Also if you are doing gig work and getting transactions of $600 at a time you are probably a drug dealer of some sort.

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Hard to say exactly what is going on but sometimes companies are just bad about following up on their applications. I've found response ratio on job boards to be terrible. However, the response rate has gotten better over the last year.

My young adult daughter can find jobs all day long. She just has a hard time keeping them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Probably all of the above. We are down about 5 million workers from February 2020, but GDP and consumer spending are both up. So fewer workers are being asked to create more goods/services. That could cause a shortage.