Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Arch Manning

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sjgator, Jun 19, 2021.

1. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Like 2020?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Great coaching staffs take elite, can't-miss talent like Arch Manning first and then adjust the offense to their strengths later. For example, Bama is about to hand the keys over to a dual-threat QB right after they had a prototype dropback QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe, good coaches do adapt to change, 2008 Saban would foam at the mouth at what 2020 Saban did on offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't think it would have made a difference with that Defense, Arkansas ran up 35 points and nearly 460 yards of O with only 21 mins of TOP.

Fix the D and O line, let the O keep churning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    When we were a pass only team, one dimensional team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I wonder how much the depth in our QB room impacts his recruitment. I have to assume he wants to come in and start right away for 3-4 years. Not that he couldn't potentially beat them out there would be a lot of experience in front of him (as of now) and Mullen seems to put weight on that

7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    None. First off, Mullen doesn’t appear to be recruiting him. Secondly, he knows he would start no later than his second year in the program.

I can see why he wouldn’t want to come to UF. The Gators will have fully evolved into a team that depends on the running ability of the QB. That could be a major issue for his extended family. Just because he can be a running threat in college doesn’t mean he or his family want him to be.

Watched a few clips and there’s no question about his athleticism. He’s a willing runner who throws some of his best passes in full stride and he’s very elusive in the pocket.

Pro Style vs Dual Threat is often a very arbitrary distinction. Franks’ was both at different points in his recruitment. Del Rio was classified as Pro Style in spite of his obvious running ability. Corral too, even though his combine numbers were almost identical to EJ’s and he was a dangerous runner on read-option plays.

My guess is that there has been communication between Mullen and the Manning’s about how he would be used at UF. Mullen was probably honest about his expectations and the Manning’s balked at Arch getting double digit carries per game. They may have also pointed out UF’s recent history with QB injuries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    thanks

9. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Correct, he's described as "Pro-style" and that's why I said Mullen "prefers" to recruit dual-threat as it is not an absolute. Maybe Mullen views him as a "project" with a Trask-type upside.

Do you mean the best QB in OUR class or in the country? He's listed as a 3*.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Nick Evers is a composite 4* in the 2022 class. We don't have a 2023 yet.
    Nick Evers, Flower Mound, Quarterback

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m saying Manning is the best qb in the class, theoretically and Mullen would take him if he had no legs at all. We know what Mullen leans towards but passing is far more important.

12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Im thinking Archie and Peyton and Eli would consider it heresy for a Manning to be a Gator - people can try and blame that on Mullen but they might as well blame Grantham for it

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not sure they would care all that much. I'm sure they have preferences, but I would think they would want him to go where they think he will individually be put in the best situation.

14. beteez

beteez Freshman

Jul 20, 2009
    He is currently in Athens, when is his trip to Gainesville?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yep, not gonna happen. Daddy probably still pissed about all those ass whooping but just saying as in the type of player Mullen may consider.

16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Daddy? You talking about Cooper?

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nah, Peyton and Eli’s daddy. We beat poor Peyton every time. Maybe the whole family doesn’t like UF. Maybe they don’t give a crap, who knows.

18. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Whenever the SEC team he suits up for plays UF in Gainesville.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I seriously doubt there's an issue about their personal history with UF. It's about the program and coaching now.

20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, then, if Arch were to head to Ole Miss where his grandfather Archie was a legend, his Uncle Eli played, and his dad Cooper was also committed before he fell ill, it would be because the family prefers Lane Kiffin over Dan Mullen? I know that's not a very likely landing spot for him with his talent, but, it's certainly an option.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021