Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ARC Hoopfest Tampa Berkeley Prep Update

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Matherly87, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    TAMPA SCHEDULE
    Friday, February 1st 2019 at Berkeley Preparatory School

5:00p Orlando Christian Prep vs. Tampa Prep
    6:30p Huntington Prep (WV) vs. Berkeley Prep
    8:00p Montverde Academy (CBD) vs. IMG Academy (Post-Grad)

Saturday February 2nd 2019 at Berkeley Preparatory School

11:15a St. Pete vs. West Oaks
    12:45p Tampa Catholic vs. The Villages
    2:30p Berkeley Prep vs. University School
    4:30p Montverde Academy vs. Oak Hill Academy (VA) ESPNU
    6:00p Oak Ridge vs. Huntington Prep (WV)

TAMPA PLAYER LIST
    ESPN class of 2019

ESPN #2 overall – Cole Anthony (Oak Hill Academy)
    ESPN #3 overall – Vernon Carey (University School)
    ESPN #10 overall – Precious Achiuwa (Montverde Academy)
    ESPN #19 overall – C.J. Walker (Oak Ridge)
    ESPN #28 overall – Jahmi’us Ramsey (Oak Hill Academy)
    ESPN #30 overall – Tre Mann (The Villages)
    ESPN #31 overall – Kofi Cockburn (Oak Hill Academy)
    ESPN #35 overall – Omar Payne (Montverde Academy)
    ESPN #42 overall – Balsa Koprivica (Montverde Academy)
    ESPN# 58 overall – Chandler Lawson (Oak Hill Academy)
    ESPN # 92 overall – Tyrell Jones ( West Oaks)

ESPN class of 2020

ESPN #2 overall – Scottie Barnes (University School)
    ESPN #12 overall – Cade Cunningham (Montverde Academy)
    ESPN #18 overall – Jaemyn Brakefield (Huntington Prep)
    ESPN #20 overall – Moses Moody (Montverde Academy)
    ESPN #25 overall – J.T. Thor (Huntington Prep)
    ESPN #29 overall – Cameron Thomas (Oak Hill Academy)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a great article about this weekends ARC Hoopfest that gives insight to many questions about our signees and other prospects.

“Baker’s Dozen” of Questions for the Tampa ARS Hoop Fest – Source Hoops

Such as....
    ---Will it answer the Montverde vs. IMG debate?

---Who is most SEC-Ready: Tyrell Jones or Tre Mann?
    When we last we saw Tyrell Jones of West Oaks, he was slicing through the Superior Collegiate defense with little resistance, making the game look easy. Our most recent viewing of Tre Mann from The Villages was an electrifying 31 point performance on the road against a very good Ocala Trinity Catholic team. By all accounts, they are the top two point guards in the state’s Class of 2019. While they won’t be playing against each other on Saturday, their approach, effort, and the results in their respective contests should give an idea as to which one is best ready to tackle the rigors of SEC play come the fall.

---Will the combined points for Tampa Catholic and The Villages exceed 140?
    ---Who gets the nod as the “most versatile player” in the Class of 2020: Scottie Barnes of U-School; Cade Cunningham of Montverde, or Jaemayn Brakefield of Huntington Prep?
    ---Battle of the Bigs: Balsa Kaprovica or Kofi Cockburn?
    ---Better Now vs. Better Long-Term: Precious Achiuwa or C.J. Walker?
    ---Best Class of 2020 scorer: Cam Thomas (Oak Hill) or Moses Moody (Montverde)?
    ---Who has the best motor: Christian Brown, Omar Payne, or Emmanuel Okpomo?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am at these games right now. I just saw the 2nd half of St Pete v West Oaks. West Oaks won by about 10 points. Tyrell Jones had a really poor 2nd half, but he is lightning quick and has an SEC level body. Next up is Tampa Catholic v The Villages. Tre Mann is the only player on The Villages under the age of 75.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Villages up 4 at the quarter. 2 points for Tre Mann.

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good one, you should see them at a home game but that forward The Villages has looks more like 28 than 18. At least the 75 year olds pack out the gym for a home game.

6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Tied at the half. Mann has 9 points and 3 fouls. He is playing the 3 most of the time. So the offense is not running through him. Allen is the only current Gator with comparable quickness. I am liking everything I see about Tre’s game, but he is forcing things a little too much when he gets the ball. He is a really good passer.

7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    The better team, Tampa Catholic, leads by 7 after 3 quarters. Terrible quarter for Mann. He took a lot of shots, none of which went in.

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Mann sat out their game one week ago at Montverde because of back problems. Does he show any affects from that? FWI if things get chippy look for The Villages to make a comeback. They play better with the pressure on.

9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Catholic wins 71 to 63. Mann scored a bunch of points at the end.Tampa Catholic has a bunch of future college players at the low to mid major level. Mann will be fine at UF. He has very good court vision and can get into the paint and kick out to teammates. He also has a killer crossover dribble, but he was missing his jump shots.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    NSU University School leads Berkeley by 6 at the quarter. Vernon Carey and Scottie Barnes had all 16 points for NSU. They are both tremendous players. Barnes would probably be the best player on the Gators right now.

11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    NSU by 14 at the half. Barnes is an extraordinarily smart and talented player. He has Horford level smarts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I watched the finals and Precious Achiuwa at Montverde is everything you would hope for in a PF. Unfortunately we seem to have no chance with him. I've yet to connect any hope with his interest in Florida. Cade Cunningham, a junior at Montverde, is also one of the best PG in the country. Montverde blew away Oak Hill in the final and I hope to post an update when I see one. Also important in the finals, Omar Payne clearly made Montverde better when he came in for the starter at center, Balsa Koprivica, the FSU signee. Omar doesn't get the stats on this highly talented team but he anchors everyone else around him and clearly plays better defense. He will be a good one in time at Florida.

13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    For NSU, Vernon Carey is an absolute monster and should be really good at Duke next year. He should be okay in the NBA too, but at that point he will be playing against players his own size. Barnes is the real catch if we can get him. He is a unique player considering that he is 6'8" with a solid body, and he is tremendously skilled. He is a likely one and done in college, but he can be a huge help for that one year.

14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    In the Montverde blow out of Oak Hill, the big surprise to me was high school junior, Cade Cunningham. Cade was matched up against Cole Anthony (the #2 ranked senior in the country) and clearly outplayed him. Cade is a physically mature 6'6" point guard who might be the best player in high school right now. There are no weaknesses in his game.

As for Omar Payne, he got plenty of playing time when Montverde's starting center, Balsa Koprivica, got into early foul trouble. Koprivica is 7'1" tall, reasonably well built and talented. He deserves to start over Payne and will be attending FSU next year. Omar is rail thin. He can run, jump, dunk and block shots. He cannot guard physical low post players and has trouble rebounding against them and against mobile big men. He only took one jump shot, which he airballed. I did not see him dribble at all. He is a solid prospect, but he does not compare to a very similar sized player in Precious Achiowa. Achiowa has a knack for rebounding and scoring that Omar does not have. I don't see Omar starting at center for us next year unless he puts on at least 20 pounds of muscle. i did not see enough of his attributes other than running and jumping to determine whether he could play the 4 for us. I expect him to eventually be a solid player for the Gators, but I did not see him have the nose for the ball in this game that would ensure me that he is going to be a star.

Finally, Ryan Nembhard got playing time and was okay. However, he was so outsized in the game that he struggled when pressured. He will need to have a growth spurt in order to develop into a top notch point guard. He is only in 9th grade right now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a very in depth follow up article to the Saturday action.
    We had Questions; We got Answers at the ARS National Hoop Fest – Source Hoops

Including are more notes about Tre Mann and Omar Payne.

"Mann’s offensive game is what sets him apart right now. He had 25 points and 6 assists (vs. 1 turnover) on Saturday. He was just 11-28 from the field overall and a paltry 2-11 from three point range. Still, he has an ability to score from all three levels as well as create those scoring opportunities for himself. He’s a better passer than given credit for and does a good job of finding teammates for open shots on the drive. Defensively, he isn’t on the level of Jones, but the Gators need Mann’s offensive skills desperately next season."

The article also has much info about future prospects and how they compare to other players.

16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Fantastic stuff Tampa / Matherly - Truly appreciated.
    Just one small favor though: One of you's go tell Pecious he
    will start at UF next year, CT is cold and sucks.

That's all!

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Haven't heard much on Barnes lately. We still in the running?

18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    We definitely are still in the running. We should make the cut when he gets down to 5 or 6 schools. Anyone's guess after that.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    His interests continue to sky rocket. Everybody is after him so no telling where he ends up. His teammate Vernon Carey is heading to Duke after this year so that might be some indication but these days of the 1&done it could be anywhere.