Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AR15- Not a good sign....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Nov 20, 2021.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I understand all of this. When I said that they had to part with Mullen, the implication was that they felt they had to part with him. As bad as this year was, I would have preferred that Mullen got another 2-3 years, just because I don't think he was a Muschamp/McElwain disaster. But, I understand that there was a lot of pressure to get rid of him and now I'm looking towards the future.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Totally agree. His smugness in those pressers really got to me.
    And believe me, I liked Mullen and truly wanted him to succeed.
    And it also seems that Mullen had lost a certain percentage of the team etc.
    As for the comments from George Burns...THANK YOU.
    The Gator Nation truly needed to read them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    100% agree. The arrogance of playing the “stats game” and having (as the fans saw it) a greater “loyalty” to the “friends” he brought in as staff than he seemed to have for the people packing the stadium to the tune of more than it costs for a nice dinner out …. every single game ….. THAT is where I believe that he made his own bed. We would have supported him through mistakes, play calling, etc - we always do. But (sic) we need to be absolutely certain where the coach’s priorities and loyalties lie. For this Gator of 53 years (since freshman year), THAT is why Mullen “lost us”… and it is why the coming hire had better be the right guy FOR the right reasons.

4. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    Meh - some of us get passionate about out position and use more words. No harm, No foul.

As Sundance said to Butch:
    “Skip on down.”

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I read a line it too, put down the pipe, Jesus you can ramble.
    I’m not one to think I know more than coaches and I think Mullen knew EJ isn’t going to be that guy but AR was raw and EJ gave us the best chance to win. It’s pretty easy to see which one of the two has the quicker cpu, that doesn’t take einstein to see.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Had he gotten rid of Grantham earlier and maybe Hev too, he probably would have gotten more time. Watching what seemed to be obvious to many people unfold and seemingly doing nothing about it wasn’t a good look. I have my opinions on recruiting but one way or another, we have to do better. Something had to change. Even if it was Mullen’s idea to can his friends, he was way too late. You can’t be the last to see things if you’re suppose to be in charge. I know that’s not how it really was but he failed to get out in front and got ran over from behind.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    For what it’s worth, I think EJ has made some good throws this year.

8. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    The man literally took and posted pictures of vacations all the time. And coaches not contacting recruits for months at a time(which has been proven) is not doing his job properly. I'm not sure what more you want. As for the math 7.6mil(Mullen's yearly salary)/365 is $20,800 and change. Add in the buyout and it's way higher than that.

I completely understand the family part. To be honest after this payday, I'd retire and spend time with my family if I were Mullen. However, feeling bad for the man in that aspect should not equate to letting him do a worse job. That's why he was making as much money as he was so either sacrifice and make the money or don't and don't make the money. That really shouldn't be complex.

Nowhere have I said I was mad at the man, just simply that I thought he should be fired. Same with Grantham after last year.

Call me a fool or delusional or whatever else you want, I could not care less. It doesn't make you right though. This is a board that has a lot of college graduates from one of the best universities in the country, I'd be careful assuming you're the smartest.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would have only preferred we keep him longer if Admin, having done due diligence in advance, found they wouldn’t be a favorite of anyone available or potentially available. I thought that might be the route we would go.

But Mullen was a disaster happening in real time. He had to be pried away from his OL/DCs, saying nonsensical things like he deals with facts. It’s as if he was not aware the program was unraveling.

Then there are the on-field issues which were big. Inexplicable losses. The team was regressing.

A lot of people think he was hoping and expecting something from the NFL last year. That certainly doesn’t sound like loyalty.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Your spot on everything!!! Some people on this board that are very very knowledgeable and I like hearing many different perspectives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Absolutely, and I'm not even saying this guy knows nothing or is an idiot. He clearly knows some stuff. Just think he's missing some pieces of the puzzle or big picture vision. Or even being too sympathetic to a fellow coach idk, but most people could see that Dan was not the greatest CEO. Great QB developer and play caller(most of the time), but ended up not being cut throat enough to be an elite CEO. That's ok, you don't know unless you try, time to try again with someone new and hope for the best.

• Winner Winner x 1