Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AR could go to the NFL according to 1010XL "big if"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Mikog8tor, Nov 9, 2022.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    This may be true and if it is I wish AR all the luck in the world.

He may have people telling him otherwise, but I'm just not convinced that NFL teams are going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy who really hasn't even proven himself to be an elite passing threat at the college level.

I have little doubt teams will be interested and he'll probably be drafted, and he might become a great NFL QB, but I just don't see first or second round. I'm thinking more like 4th or 5th. I think he may be getting some bad information.

I think he is a guy who could definitely who would benefit from another season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Sophomore

Nov 24, 2011
    AR is a phenomenal talent and athlete. There isn’t an NFL team with half a brain that would select him in the first round to be an NFL QB. He has a near 0% chance to be a QB at the next level. I love the guy but it’s quite obvious what he is and isn’t. However, I won’t fault him to chase his dream and make his money as soon as possible but it won’t necessarily translate to success on the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    His continued struggles in the passing game might be a bit of a blessing in disguise, for AR & the team. He clearly needs much more in game experience. He won’t get that as a #3 in the league for several years. He will get that at UF next season though. He has an agent who’ll probably tell him something about a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. His family likely wants to cash in asap too. For his long term growth and solid buildup of his game, 2023 at UF is his best bet, imho.

* I won’t begrudge him one iota if he takes the $$$ and runs after this season, very understandable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    If by some wild chance he goes pro, he is getting horrible advice. His poor passing will not impress teams enough to take a chance. AR's strength is running the ball. In college that works, in the nfl he will not survive the hits.
    But if by some wacky chance he goes, I am confident UF will be just fine. We have dynamic rbs and all we need is a consistent passing qb. I think Kitna could possibly be that guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    They almost always go pro early nowadays if there is even a shot. In AR’s case, he’s already in an NFL body. He can refine his passing skills as a backup in the NFL. Some team will draft him on potential late first round or second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    There's a part of me that would actually prefer him to go pro this year after all this "will he?" talk. I think next year we will still be rebuild mode so might as well get our '24 qb some experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    If he has even a 15% chance of making it as an NFL QB, NFL teams will gamble with those odds. It’s kind crazy how desperate these teams are and the agents can manipulate it in their clients favor

It’s like dating when you are a 45 y/o virgin, anything that comes along that resembles the opposite sex gets your interest

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, all the people that do this for a living completely disagree with you.
    It’s about potential sometimes…..he’ll be a 1st round pick

9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I do not see AR as an NFL QB yet. Needs a couple of seasons more. That said, if he could could get third round or better, more power to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    We'll see, but those people are not paid to be right every time. If they hit 1 out of 5 1st round QBs as a franchise QB, they did their job. So what happens to the other 4?

11. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Really love how the team has turned things around. A lot of reasons to feel good about the team right now. However, ARs passing isn't one of those reasons.

He just hasn't grown as a passer. And, I have no idea how this is gonna playout?!? Just gonna hope for the best, but I don't get a vibe it's progressing that way.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  12. airgator96

airgator96 All American

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    He will be playing TE in the NFL. He can "get by" at the college level playing QB, but he is not even the passer that Tebow was. There is no way he is going to make it as a QB in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    The reason our running game is firing on all cylinders is because of AR. I am not looking forward to watching another statue back there, and get flashbacks of the John Brantley years. Slow developing plays...

I would love to see a more polished AR in 2023, because our offense will be extremely lethal. But it doesn't look like that is going to happen if he keeps playing the way he is.

That is the nature of this business, and coaches and ADs have to incorporate this into their long-term plans.

By the time dynamic player X's eligibility is up, dynamic player Y is sitting back ready to take over.

Good Coaches will have that setup and I am hoping Napier is that type of guy

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    AR is in his 3rd year, with two under a wisperer, if he stays will he get better? Will he develop more with a year a college ball or has he reached his ceiling at this level? In the NFL it would be 24hr 7 days a week with a team of coached focused only on him, to a point. Certainly his game would get better if he stays but would it mean more money? He has to weigh the risk reward…

15. Anthony Richardson has all tools to be great. If he wants to be a great backup in the NFL next year and for a few years after that, he will be great at that. There is no shame in making a million dollars a year as a backup. If he wants to be a great college quarterback with the chance to be a great NFL quarterback he should refine those passing skills in an academic environment while making slightly less than a million. Either way, he will be great and I will cheer on the local Gainesville native.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I love AR but he was missing receivers constantly yesterday.

I do think he will leave though ... because of the way he is attacking again the last few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    QBs that run in the NFL get assaulted. Everything is bigger, faster and more violent in the NFL. Look at RG3 with Redskins. Looked like a great QB his first year until the injury. AR is big, tall, fast, and has a great arm, but accuracy is not there. You must be more accurate in the NFL. A ball thrown behind the WR is a pick in the NFL, not an incompletion. Perhaps someone will take on a project, but definitely not a first rounder. As an example, look at that pass to Odom at the end of the first half. Trying to get the team in field goal range and threw an uncatchable ball to the uncovered TE. Better WRs and routes may help, but he is currently a number 3 NFL QB.

18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

AR was 11/23 for 112yds 2td yesterday against a not so good defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Did you seriously ask this question: ". . . has he reached his ceiling at this level?"

For his sake, I certainly hope not.

20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He’s making a million now.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1