Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"Apple watch for sale"

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Mar 20, 2019.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    "Apple watch Series 2 42mm for sale" reads the ad placed by someone who has found her life too regimented to her liking by this watch. She calls it the Nanny watch with its prompts and schedules and thinks it hinders spontaneity.

Who is the seller? My daughter. She works for Apple. A savvy, plugged in girl, she nonetheless is making changes to lessen the dependency inherently designed into all the smart devices marketed with claims of making life easier and more accessible. Is this BS? Do we really need a game on our devices that tracks how long we hold a button then registers the length of time as the score? Or another ap that tells a woman when she is fertile and it is safe or not to have sex?

How much control do you yield to the dictates of any one of these tech gadgets? Is this the future?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    will it chat with my military grade Moto flip phone? a cousin of Dan Apple the Gator Baseball pr guy?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys want edgy---you got it!:D:devil:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Answer. .

If the ever dumbed-down public not only allows it, but assimiates themselves into such mindless things, then, sadly, yes... it's a pretty bleak future .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I personally love my android watch. I allow it to keep track of what I need it to. I'm plugged in and it hasn't effected my spontaneity at all. If the device owner can't use it as nothing more than a tool, then the fault is on them.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Do you play games on your watch, or use it for entertainment, or is your use of it strictly utilitarian.

7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    No games, use it to check messages, emails, reject calls, and get alerts,when pulling my phone out isn't an option. Also keeps track of my health apps. Oh and to tell time

• Like Like x 3
  8. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Clearly you exercise self control in your use. Not everyone is capable of doing that. The tech industry markets to them, creating a 'need' for must have features and aps. The proliferation of aps furthers the trend of dependency on the devices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Yeah if I have wait time I have books on phone via Kindle. I prefer actual books, but it comes in handy when stuck in a waiting room type situation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I prefer books too. Don't have any on my phone or even own a Kindle.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

Whoa! Is there really an ap for this? Unless that thing has only one answer of “sex is ok all the time,” let’s destroy it!

I’ve never been interested in the Apple Watch. I love my collection of watches too much. It’s my thing. I love accessories. Watches, sunglasses, shoes. I have a problem:)

12. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Yep, there's an app for it.

Best Fertility Apps of 2017

"We’ve selected these apps based on their quality, user reviews, and overall reliability for people who want to track their fertility. If you want to nominate an app for this list, email us at nominations@healthline.com.

"Most women spend so many years actively trying not to get pregnant that it never occurs to them that getting pregnant might take some time. Because of this, it can be a hard pill to swallow when that first month of trying (or those first several months) doesn’t result in a positive pregnancy test.

"When that happens, a lot of women find themselves searching for answers and tools that might help to make the next month a success. Then there are the women who don’t want to get pregnant, but would also prefer to manage that naturally. Thankfully, there’s an app for both situations! Actually, there are several. Here are the best ones out there this year."

My daughter decided not to sell her watch. She says it has too many practical uses. And no. One is not the aforementioned. Her family is complete and she made sure of that. ;)

Only if you allow it to be. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando
    I bought my wife an Apple Watch a few years ago. She liked it for like 5 minutes and then gave it to our son.

14. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Can't say I blame her. They are not attractive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

I’ve yet to see anything it can do my phone can’t.

16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I suppose it's when and how you use it. She said she can send texts unobtrusively when she is in meetings and using the phone might disrupt the flow of the meeting. That girl can text faster than anyone else I've ever observed. Her fingers fairly fly. I'd bet big money on her accuracy and speed against any other.

17. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

She’s got me hands down. I pride myself on being the worst tester on earth. I have a bad habit of hitting “b” instead of the space bar, so I get a lot of “youbmakebmeblaughbatbmyself.”

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    That's why you get a watch with Google Wear tech. Lot's more styles and the best part..It's not Apple!
    I like the Fossil
    20190330_152223_compress_49.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Got mine from my daughter who also works for Apple. It's a great watch and purely utilitarian. My daughter is baffled that I use so few of the functions. I'm afraid of knowing all the things my iPhone and Apple Watch can do.

• Like Like x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My phone can't so anything for me while I'm at work because I have to leave it in a locker. I can do a lot with my watch, especially if my phone is powered on. Even when I have my phone, I can do stuff with my watch without taking the phone out of my pocket.

• Agree Agree x 1