Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AOC says we have concentration camps on border

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Conversation for another time...

But the reason I think that people characterize her comments as "the left," is because, in large part, the radicals are now running the Democratic Party...

Trump "right now" is running the Republican Party... but I certainly think that this is more of a temporary wave of the Republican Party... Trump's Republican Party will likely end by 2024 at the latest... and will begin a new era as soon as that one ends... Trump is unlike anything we've ever seen before, whereas the Democratic Party has been trending more towards AOC and the radical left (like Bernie Sanders) for years...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think we should call them "Trump Camps." He likes promoting his brand so much, and all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    When even Highlights Magazine (remember Goofus and Doofus) turns on you due to your family separation policy, you have truly stepped in it up to your eyeballs. First the knitters and crocheters and now even Highlights Magazine have turned on you Donnie - maybe time to reconsider this inhumane and unAmerican practice. Its been a while since the political divide was this deep. ABCD in 2020.

Highlights Magazine Issues Statement Condemning Trump's Detention Centers
    "As a company that helps children become their best selves -- curious, creative, caring, and confident -- we want kids to understand the importance of having moral courage. Moral courage means standing up for what we believe is right, honest, and ethical -- even when it is hard," Johnson wrote in a statement posted to Twitter.

Our company's core belief, stated each month in Highlights magazine, is that 'Children are the world's most important people,'" he continued. "That is a belief about ALL children."

"With this core belief in our minds and hearts, we denounce the practice of separating immigrant children from their families and urge our government to cease this activity, which is unconscionable and causes irreparable damage to young lives," he said.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    FDR wasn't the monster Hitler was, but he was wrong on Japanese Internment camps. The country has apologized and admitted its mistakes. And imagine if you are a Japanese-American child, 1940s, and one day you are living your life, and the next day, even though your family had done nothing wrong, your entire life is turned upside-down, you lose your house and your business, and you are forced to move with other families into an Internment camp. How would you feel about FDR then?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trump Resorts. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I see a new RE investment opportunity. I'm all in!!!! :D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the nomination process will help illustrate who is running the Dem party.

A few individuals pushing big change doesn't mean the whole party has bought in.

We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I agree with everything you said...

That's also far worse than the treatment undocumented immigrants get at the border...

Yet, that doesn't stop the left from revering FDR and calling Trump Hitler in the same breath...

9. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Why should that matter? Yes, and if the shoe was on the other foot the right would complain at least as loudly. Democrat administrations do good things and the right complains. Republican administrations do good things and the left complains. The complaints shouldn't be a factor when trying to do good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Hahah.

11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It was on the other foot and the press and people were largely silent. These problems didnt begin with Trump, but existed since Bush and before. There were similar articles about the living conditions prior to 2017 and courts making ICE change their policies, but nobody was outraged like today because it's all being blamed on Trump. Even though it was the same stuff. Obama was a good guy so none of it was his fault.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the fact that the rhetoric around immigration was so much different likely did make a difference in how both Obama and GW were treated by the media on the issue. Neither of them repeatedly demonized immigrants from the south.

Neither of them had to deal with the refugee issue either, and I suspect both would have handled it with more engagement with involved countries and our neighbors, instead of mobilizing the military against the "invasion".

While there may be ongoing commonality in management of these detention centers, the approach to immigration is so vastly different with this President, it naturally gets treated differently. It's an issue of perception intentionally created by Trump as a centerpiece to his campaign.

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Obama's calculation was to step up enforcement because the conventional wisdom was that you needed to show Republicans you were serious about protecting the border before they'd come to the table. In retrospect, extending good faith to Republicans was big miscalculation. No credit was extended, and in fact quite the opposite, Obama became the "open borders" guy to Republicans. And of course when they didn't come to the table, the executive action taken to deal with the problem was 'executive overreach.' Of which maybe only a few Republicans have been consistent on after Trump's 'emergency declaration.' I don't know why Obama didn't learn the lesson from when Bush tried to do immigration reform and it was also torpedoed by Republicans. They couldn't back their own guy, why were they going to give anything to him? I think maybe the lesson has been learned now though. Republicans know that being anti-immigration is the only play in their party (regardless of what they believe individually), and Democrats know that there's very little reason to not listen to immigration activists on their side if the path to immigration reform with Republicans is basically "you have to build a big racist wall with a moat, and sharks with laser beams first and also limit legal immigration."

14. wgbgator

Nobody's outraged among Republicans about the deficit or debt ceiling now either. That's just politics. I think in this case though, I don't think the Democrats are going to go back to "mass deportations rule" and "ICE is actually good now" post-Trump. Like I don't see this as particularly cynical politics just to beat Trump. I suspect though Democrats aren't particularly united on a position though. The Schumer and Biden types are probably still on board for some 'border security + comprehensive reform' compromise. But this has been a centrist pipe dream since the Bush era. Ultimately though, who could have predicted that demagoging an issue would draw way more attention to an issue? The answer is, everyone. That's why people do it.

15. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    The U.S. government will not give flu vaccines to migrant families being held in detention centers near the U.S.-Mexico border. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced the decision Tuesday, weeks before the flu season begins.

Earlier this month, two top House Democrats wrote to CBP as well as to the Department of Health and Human Services, raising concerns over the spread of influenza in detention centers after at least three children died in U.S. custody, in part, as a result of the flu.

U.S. won't give flu vaccines to migrants in border detention centers

16. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
  17. wgbgator

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Rip me all you want but I would:

Grant clemency (legal status) to all illegal aliens currently living in the USA with the exception of those with felony records from their country of origin or while in the USA. Deport all persons with felony criminal records.

Provide the resources necessary to reunite all currently separated families.

Provide the resources the Democrats are clamoring for related to immigration control.

Provide the resources the President is clamoring for (yes build the wall).

Going forward Re-institute the rule of law for all immigrants wishing to enter the country.
    Treat any persons crossing illegally harshly and return them from whence they came.

Provide stiff penalties for employers seeking cheap labor through illegal immigration, as in prison sentences.

I know this is easily posted and not a cure all but in my magic kingdom this is what I would do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Trump administration leaves menstruating migrant girls ‘bleeding through underwear at detention centres’