Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AOC Chief of Staff

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:07 PM.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    then the groups in the middle will have to form a block to generate enough votes to get things done. I see that as a win if the far left and the far right get dismissed from their respective parties and the centrist in both parties begin to work together again instead of trying to pacify the extremists in an attempt to hold the party together.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I would agree that invest might not be the best word, but the development of a lot of the social sciences that have been allowed to develop in heavily left leaning incubators is what is spawning a lot of this new ideology. You are seeing the Squad espousing a lot of the talking point often heard on college campuses.

3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    She posted and deleted which doesn’t support the narrative. The conservative media is keeping it alive. Ok, What’s new? Same happens to Trump with his dumb tweets...except he usually just doubles down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't think it's going to happen, but if one of the progressive candidates gets the nod it gives Trump a real shot at reelection. The airwaves will be spammed with them raising their hands for healthcare for illegals, pandering to the hard left in the debates, retweeting the green new deal and selfies with AOC. So then the average voter has to ask themself whether a good economy and not much else happening even with a total douche in office is worse than taking a chance that the other guy/gal won't implement a bunch of expensive new entitlements/social experiments and tax the hell out of us. There was a poll last week I think that said half of Democrats don't even want single payer and are happy with their employer provided healthcare.

5. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    That would be ideal, but wouldn't happen probably because their financial benefactors wouldn't let it happen. There is too much money and power at stake for either side to work together. They aren't even allowed to have lunch together in the cafeteria on the hill without getting a talking to by senior party pols. It's really dysfunctional and I don't see a way out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    It would only take 8 - 10 senators to say enough is enough and leverage their centrist block to vote with the best bill and not the party bill. Had such high hopes for the gang of 8 to do something along those lines

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    That's great if they had very safe seats no matter what they did, because the parties would be looking to primary them and throwing a bunch of money at those races.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    which would give those in the middle not wanting to support the parties the opportunity to let our contributions flow. I have already contributed to Amash and I rarely make political contributions. Hopefully others tired of the extremes controlling things contribute to the centrists on both sides if the extremes work to primary them.

9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Hopefully you contributed after he left the party because otherwise you will spend years trying to get off the party lists. I made that mistake once and never again. I would like to think there would be a centrist revival, but I don't see it since it seems like all the propaganda is driving people toward the fringes. It's not that the pols are out of touch with the people, it's that their base is driving harder away from the center and I think social media and partisan news sources are the root cause. Trump doesn't have a 90% approval rating in the GOP because those people are clamoring for moderation.

10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Healthy debate ultimately requires 2 parties or sides to meet with each other and bang out the issues.

AOC refuses to do that and would prefer to take to Twitter and speak to her followers rather than discuss compromise with her colleagues, very few of whom likely live in her district.

She’s a management nightmare especially during a presidential run up. Whatever help she can provide a candidate nationally can be more than offset by her risking the Dems losing control of the house.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So she is Trump?

12. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Lots of similarities. Tribal, under-informed on many issues, and a preference to communicate by social media to start.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    For those that support AOC and her CoS, this is yet another childlike reaction to not getting your way by falsely attacking an individual’s character, just because they don’t agree with you.
    NP is a lot of things, but she is not a racist. It’s strange to see the left getting a taste of their own medicine.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Hmm? I don’t think she is getting a ton of support as I scroll up the thread so not sure who you are talking to.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Sort of a correct premise, the party has put a lot of stock in data, technocratic solutions to complex problems and social science research out of academia in how it approaches politics (and this had been true for several decades now), but I'd say that's more representative of the "establishment" side. AOC and the new younger cohort IMO are a rejection of a data driven / expertise driven approach to politics in a favor of a social democratic/populist approach. And "wokeness" is basically a meaningless phrase. The entire party is concerned with issues like racial justice. That could apply just as much to a Biden voter as it could to a Warren one.

16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As I mentioned in post #8 in this thread, another parallel between AOC and Trump is that both were elected in unexpected upsets giving them an inflated sense of importance and the belief that they know more than anyone else, including experienced politicians. The difference is that Trump holds the most powerful elected office in the world while AOC is a freshman member of Congress with little inherent power. In both cases their social media megaphones have given them disproportionate influence among their base while alienating and mobilizing their opposition, which in the case of Trump resulted in the Democrats recapturing the House in the 2018 midterm election and if AOC doesn't cool it, she and her buddies Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley could be responsible for the reelection of Trump and the recapture of House by the Republicans in 2020. Although AOC, in fact, has little power she and the right-wing media, especially the Fox News talking heads are making her the face of the party. The Democrats won control of the House, not as the result of the election of AOC and the other three left-wing high profile freshman WOC, but rather as the result of the election of freshman like Abigail Spanberger, Mikie Sherrill, Elaine Luria and Conor Lamb, moderates who defeated incumbent Republicans or won open formerly Republican seats. AOC, by creating the illusion that she represents the party as a whole could put those type of seats in jeopardy as well as scaring moderate voters into reelecting Trump. The bizarre reality is that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may end up being the best political friend of Donald Trump and the Republican Party.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think you are seeing the difference between traditional way Democrat’s approached income inequality and societal differences and the wokeness being taught on campus. There is a big difference between arguing about the best way to increase the size of the middle class for everyone and saying if you disagree with my view point, it is obviously because you are racist whether you know it or not due to you not being a women/LGTBQ/PoC. Which is pretty much what AOC’s CoS said in that tweet.

There definitely is a more DSA flavor to the Squad’s policy preferences but they are definitely using the argument method of the left often seen on campuses over the recent past.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM
  18. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    There is a political consultant name Luke Thomson, who is often on the NRO Editors’ podcast, that has talked about what a blow to Republicans it will be when Pelosi retires since they have spent so much money making her the evil face of the Democratic Party. They have raised hundreds of millions of dollars off of her. It now seems like the RNC has their successor to Pelosi in AOC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    It's what happens when someone grows up hearing "You go, girl!" no matter what she does.

20. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Not an AOC fan but I think that's a bit of a stretch. She was a bartender 2 years ago.

• Funny Funny x 1