Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AOC Chief of Staff

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jul 11, 2019.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Not the first time I’ve read or heard that AOC doesn't reply to those who reach out to her after she drops one of her bombs.

I know for an absolute fact Amazon tried to contact her numerous times after she started the revolts, and offered to meet with her in NY, DC or wherever was convenient for her, and she never once even gave them the courtesy of a reply.

She’s a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    Pelosi and her party reaps what they has sown....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Thanks for your concern. We libs are just fine compared to the dumpster fire Trump admin. ;).

• Funny x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    She thinks her followers on Twitter are her constituents rather than the ones who voted for her in her district.

There’s a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not true. In the 2018 Democratic Primary in the NY 14th the party leadership, probably including Pelosi, supported Joe Crowley, the incumbent over Ocasio Cortez. Crowley lost because he was complacent and didn't take AOC seriously. Kind of like the way both the establishment Republicans as well as Hillary and the DNC treated Trump's candidacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    This was inevitable. Being a freshman in the House means that you go along to get along, pick your spots, work with party leadership, and keep inter-party disputes behind closed doors. It’s not glamorous and the work is a slow slog of compromise and deals to get things down. AOC and her Squad don’t seem to get that and they don’t represent a big enough faction within the Democratic caucus to really matter. The level of attention they get is blown out of proportion to their ability to deliver things in the House. Now they are threatening the Democrats ability to hold the majority while they sit in safe seats and Pelosi is rightfully upset.

I don’t think it helps that AOC and her squad have been raising money to primary the centrist Democrats that helped flipped the house. If this keeps up, I would not be surprised to see several of the Squad primaried to send a message about what happens when Freshman step too far out of line.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The interesting thing is how some of the presidential candidates are all trying to be seen with "the squad" and get an endorsement. Was listening to POTUS on XM this morning and they were talking about how Sanders, Warren and Harris are all embracing AOC. So on one hand they have a fight in congress that they would normally lose, but on the other they are hobnobbing with the possible next president.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Sigh. More crocodile tears. It’s simply healthy debate and creative tension. Maybe you prefer the “drop your pants and bend over” method of the Pubs. I don’t.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Any chief of staff worth their weight should take their boss’ twitter privileges away.
    AOC
    Trump
    The two worst Twitterers in history

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    healthy debate finds common ground. There is no common ground with the squad and other dems. They are openly organizing to oust members of their own party.
    If they are truly unhappy with their own party than they should take a page from Justin Amash and become independents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I didn't think it was all that constructive when the conservative caucus was having a "healthy debate" and pretty much blocking most legislation because it wasn't 100% in line with their ideology. It's hard enough to get anything done in congress, but the more pockets of fringe players out there that get elected, the less legislation we will end up with. I mean we could have already had bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform had it not been for those guys. What if AOC and her friends start doing the same thing on the left?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’m sorry did you see anywhere that I said I was sorry about seeing it? I’m just pointing out why Pelosi has a very legitimate reason to be upset and might start going into full Terminator mode when it comes to raising money to support challengers to make sure the squad understands realpolitik. There have already been some talk of a primary challenger for Omar.

This is very similar to what Boehner and Ryan went through with the Tea Party members of the ‘10 election. The only difference is that the Tea Party had more than four members and were less vocal in the media about disagreements with leadership.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What does this have to do with Pelosi? She didn’t elect the woman.

15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    There are 4 vocal members, but more than that that came in looking to change the world. The squad's high profile stature might help some other hard left candidates next year to (i.e. of AOC can do it anyone can).

16. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think the general and my oversimplification of the point is that Democrats have invested a lot in owning academia and developing social sciences which has in turned created a ideological of wokeness. You are now seeing what happens when that wokeness officially enters the party and demands a seat at the table.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    4 freshman congresswomen pushing the boundaries out of 235 Dems? Pelosi will ignore them unless she needs them. She’s no dummy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    which might help them in the primary with the rabid voters but will kill them in the general if they stay closely aligned with the know nothing, scream loud crowd

19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder if this is really what happened. I’m not sure if they invested in academia as much as it is simply that the kind of people that enter ideological pursuits like the arts and sciences just tend to be more liberal.

This all strikes me as a very emergent phenomenon, rather than the work of any kind of central planner.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Kind of hard to ignore them when one of their chief of staffs is now publicly calling the moderates and blue dogs, modern day Dixiecrats and the media is eating it up.

• Winner Winner x 1