Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

AOC’s Green New Deal

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Feb 8, 2019.

1. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    lack of well defined property rights create missing markets & common resources both of which are disastrous for the environment

2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She certainly wouldn't be my pick, but I'm actually not sure she is anyone's pick. Who says she's the face of the party? Pelosi and Schumer are the elected leaders. AOC is a junior congresswomen that seems to get tons of threads created about her here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. No one will come up with an alternative plan for fear of being compared and contrasted to the competition, which you say is bad, politically damaging and crazy?

4. wgbgator

Um, no. There isn't a meteor speeding toward the planet that will kill everyone. I believe the IPCC said at that point many of the effects of climate change wont be reversible by ordinary means or emissions reductions. We'll all be alive, just living in the world of Soylent Green or something.

5. wgbgator

Its interesting that people think leaders are appointed by some people in a backroom room, rather than by you know, stepping up and leading on issues. I don't know if she's the face of the party or even will be, but she's certainly leading on an important issue and getting other people on board.

6. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    Betting against human innovation has been the biggest sucker bet in the history of our species & yet people keep taking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    It seems the liberal media Has chosen OC as the face of the party. Further I’m not sure Pelosi and Schumer are much better representatives for the Democrats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    She's definitely generating a buzz, but its hard to know exactly how the 'face' of the party is chosen. The republicans didn't seem to choose Trump, but it would be hard to choose another face of the republican party at this point, as both the people and congress are on board.

9. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, my guess is you don't have a super long list of democrats who you believe to be great representatives of our nation.

10. wgbgator

Geo-engineering is certainly a possibility, but shooting crap into the atmosphere to keep us all from burning to death or moving into underwater habitats when Florida sinks seems like some innovation that's best avoided.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, she made the topic political suicide for the short term. No republican can put forth a decent plan anyway, and no moderate dem can put one out now without having to have their name associated with hers, so no one will. She poisoned the well short term.
    Medium or longer term, we will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wgbgator

I would argue that by electing someone president you are choosing the face of the party. When the Dems select a candidate, they will, for better or worse be seen as the face of the party. That's sort of the cult of the presidency at work. This isn't a parliamentary system where there is an actual opposition leader decided by the party.

13. wgbgator

I think your judgment is clouded here, and this really doesn't make sense. I still don't understand how if someone puts out an alternative plan, it would be closely associated with the competition. Its like saying if the Democrats nominate a presidential candidate, they are screwed by having to associate with Trump by running against him and comparing their ideas and policies to his. That seems like how politics works? And the only way a competing plan would have to deal with AOC's is if hers attracted sufficient support to have to contend with to pass, which would belie the idea that it was politically toxic in the first place.

14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Believe me or not, but watch how it plays out. If I am proven wrong I will happily admit it.

15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  16. wgbgator

I can tell you right now how it will play out. The Green New Deal, let alone any progressive legislation is DOA unless Dems capture a trifecta and eliminate the filibuster (and clean up the SCOTUS). The only thing that this will accomplish in the short term is heightening the contradictions within the party between those that prefer a social democratic party to those that want a technocratic party of capital. If the technocratic side of the party is afraid of putting out a proposal, then it will be a super easy battle to win and its already over if that's the case. This is more about shaping the mid to long term goals and agenda of the party.

17. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm all for a cleaner environment. I'm all for stricter regulation on pollution. But to try and tell me that it is the only way to save the earth. Nope.
    Those 7 billion people are going to keep reproducing. And keep polluting. The earth is going to keep going through heating and cooling cycles.
    At least we ...humans...are finally trying to clean the gigantic plastic gyre in the pacific.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Look at the bright side, no more euro trash and Muslims! :)

19. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    Screw spending all that money. Lets just do Jonestown on a larger scale. The whole US can drink cyanide laced kool-aid so we can save the planet from climate warming weather global cooling change. I guess we better have the cows drink it too.