Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anyone seen that peloton ad?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Dec 4, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually it's a group of riders in a bike race who ride in close proximity so they can draft each other. I kind of like the commercial and my wife didn't find it offensive at all. Her only complaint was that the actress playing Peloton girl was in perfect shape before she even used the stationary bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Ok so go left got it. We're gonna score on this one.

3. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Thanks for the response,VA. My older son rode competitively when he was in high school so knew the word, but was curious if any others reading Too Hot might also know it. At one time I was a Tour de France fan but Lance Armstrong's lies and the doping scandals spoiled it for me.

4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    listened to a a good podcast on the ride back from the mts last week. The whole thing was good (IMO Baby's got bank was the best segment), but meatball & chain was about a cheater in a Gville race & how it haunted both riders for decades.

Meatball and Chain - This American Life

this seg was great too. Tells the weird origin of the MSG myth.

Humor Is Not The Best Medicine - This American Life

babies got bank...love the ending

Babies Got Bank - This American Life

so, if you got some time, get the fire cracklin & take a listen.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to ride quite a bit, never competitively though, and not so much any more although I keep telling myself I should start again. I'm familiar with the term because I watch the Tour de France as well as other road races including Olympic cycling events.

Probably not in the Olympics because athletes are heavily monitored, apparently doping in professional cycling is endemic. Armstrong just happened to have gotten caught and he made matters worse by lying about it although I guess cheating and lying go hand in hand.

6. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I knew what it meant because I was a roadie forever but have done mostly mountain bikes for the past couple of decades. I no longer ride in groups or wear Lycra.
    Couldn’t imagine riding on roads nowadays, everyone staring at their phone.

7. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    FYI I knew it too. I think when the peloton crosses the finish they all receive the same time even though they are not side by side.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    It’s always been risky. A ChE professor when I was at UF was run off the road and killed riding home down in 441.

9. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I would think it is riskier now. Glance at other drivers these days, so many texting or watching videos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Long time bike rider (mainly casual). I'm increasingly wary of the areas/neighborhoods I ride in. Lot of jackasses out there.

As for the commercial, i thought the controversy would be that she was taking a selfie while riding, which is unsafe and a good way to bust your butt. Actual commercial didn't really bother me or my wife.

11. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    "I think when the peloton crosses the finish they all receive the same time even though they are not side by side."

Thanks for the information. I did not know this or had forgotten it. I looked it up and you are correct. General classification - Wikipedia

"Riders who finish in the same group are awarded the same time, with possible subtractions due to time bonuses. Two riders are said to have finished in the same group if the gap between them is less than three seconds. A crash or mechanical incident in the final three kilometers of a stage that finishes without a categorised climb usually means that riders thus affected are considered to have finished as part of the group they were with at the 3km mark, so long as they finish the stage."

Back in the summer of 1987, when my son was seriously training and competing, we had a French exchange student stay with us for about 4 weeks. His father worked for Crédit Lyonnais, the French bank that sponsored the Tour and provided the yellow jerseys worn by the stage leaders each day. He sent one to my son who was thrilled to receive it. He never wore it but kept it and still had it when I asked him about it last year.

• Like Like x 1