Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anyone else upgrade their MacOS to Mojave?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by solari, Sep 24, 2018.

1. solari

solari GC Janitor VIP Member GC Staff

I'm realllly liking it so far, esp. the dark mode and stacks on the desktop as mine's always cluttered.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Ok...I'm going to upgrade my "Late 2012" Mac Mini right now.
    Let's see how it goes.

It's 11:55pm.

3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    That took some time - almost two hours, and my Mini still isn't happy. Dock disappeared and everything was glacially slow. Rebooting now, if it doesn't run well, just going to let it sit overnight and think about it what's it's done. Maybe it'll have a better attitude in the morning.

4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    So...I'm going to say if you have a Mac as old as mine, don't install Mojave. Dock is still missing in action and everything is as slow as molasses. It definitely did some housekeeping over night as I heard the startup chime 2 or 3 times, but everything is only marginally faster this morning and still no dock.

Think I'll be going back to High Sierra today. Usually I fight these things through, but the speed is so slow, that even if I fixed the dock problem, it's still unpleasant to use.

Just rebooted and there's the dock (had to delete the dock plist file(s)). I guess I'll rebuild the dock, as I lost all the changes made to it, and try it out for awhile, but unless it speeds up after some more "housekeeping" I'm not sure it's worth it.

Oh yes...Launchpad...haven't seen that worthless icon in awhile...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Things are speeding up finally. I might be able to use this after all.
    :)

I turned on stacks...virtually no change on my desktop, but then I only have 6 icons and two of them are folders (which are basically manual "stacks").

Dark mode is okay...I suppose maybe when it's dark it'll make more sense to look at it, but in the daytime I prefer the Light.

The new screenshot tool will be useful, esp. being able to record videos of what's happening on your screen. Will make family tech support easier - although screen sharing is still preferable.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Heh...just set this up on my wife's new Macbook Pro. Start to finish 20-30 minutes - no noticeable slow down at all. A completely different experience.

To be fair, if it indexes attached drives or something like that my mini has a 12TB RAID + 500GB internal drive, while the Macbook Pro only has a 250GB SSD.

7. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Dark mode is an interesting idea, but all the apps have to somehow comply with it for it to be more than cosmetic. Right now - nice dark OS eyes are adjusted to it, start up Chrome, <ZAP>, searing white screen at Google.

btw...there is an app out there that will switch between light mode and dark mode depending on the time of day. Install at your own risk.

This tiny app solves the most annoying thing about Mojave's Dark Mode

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm tapping on on Mojave - back to High Sierra. My 2012 Mini ain't Mac enough for it.

That's the dream anyways. I'm currently staring at a black screen while it tries it's hardest to reboot, but it's tough sledding. On the positive side this thread serves as a timestamp so I know exactly which backup to try first.

Do anything with large disk images absolutely drags this thing to a halt. Essentially locked up, but I have an idea it's doing something in the background it can't finish because the computer gets hot as hell.

(Got My High Sierra Bootable USB drive ready just in case.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Well...here goes nothing. Back up from Sept. 23rd. Hope I didn't do anything important the last 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

2 hours and 41 minutes to go.
    Make that 3 hours and 5 minutes...

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    3 hours and 40 minutes now? Apparently time is going backwards on my Time Machine backup.

11. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Back up and running High Sierra - everything is snappy again.
    Estimates not withstanding, it took just over 2 hours to restore from a Time Machine Backup.

Now I can wait for Apple to announce the new Mini without tearing out my hair.

Edit: One word of advice. Backup your Photos Library before updating to a new OS.

My photo's library is on a RAID 1 so it is backed up in a manner of speaking, but it's now in Mojave's format and High Sierra can't read it. My last backup in High Sierra's format is several months old. I don't have access to my photos on this machine anymore. Annoying, but I have another machine running Mojave that can still see them, and hopefully this machine is replaced soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1