Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anyone else sick of Trask being called "a game manager"?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by enviroGator, Dec 2, 2019.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Trask’s arm and Coach G’s receivers are 95% of the Gator passing game and 60% of the running game. Jones’ accuracy improved exponentially as he was given more opportunities to throw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    If the line improves next year could be special

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I never understand why we expect every broadcaster to know everything about a team they rarely see.
    I thought the guys did fine Saturday night. No real gaffs, pretty positive about our guys and program, and they did not try and steal the show.

I mostly listen to Mick anyway though.

But in general, I think broadcasters generally do fine for our games.

Except Brian Griese. That guy is terrible. Tur-a-bull.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Trask is what he is...an accurate passer that sees the field pretty well. He's also lucky. He hits the defenders in the numbers and they always seem to drop it (most of the time anyway). He doesn't have a strong arm, but he has a quick release. Also has nice touch and can toss it while rolling out. He's humble and he's learning.

We have EJ, and he looks to be improving nicely. The future looks good...me likey!

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    TV guys tend to be lazy as compared to radio guys. Ever heard Mick talk about how much preparation he does going into his broadcast for each week? I don't think it's too much to ask for TV commentators to do their homework. There are plenty of guys that would love to do it that actually have a passion for it. You get the opportunity for a nationally televised game, bring your A game. Some do, some don't.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Yeah I never got it. A game managing QB is not one that throws for 300+yds up and down the field. I don’t know why they keep using that label.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    tbf to Trask on being "lucky", there is a reason that the special defensive backs are said to have ball skills because they are some of the few defensive backs who can consistently catch the ball, and many of those defensive backs would be receivers if they could be but don't have the hands. Trask is just one of the hundreds of QB who are regularly throwing the ball in college games to defensive backs who have hands of stone.

9. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Hate to disagree with you, Tilly. But it honestly was a slobberfest over everything cesspool u did. It was waayyy over the top love fest for anything positive, and real disappointment when we kicked their teeth in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He's more than a game manager at this point. Game managers typically have a good ground game to rely on. Mullen leaned on his arm. Trask has exceeded all expectations.

I think he's the 3rd best QB in the SEC behind Burrow and Tua. That's very good company to be in. The 2 ahead of him won't be playing in the SEC next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    I do think Trask is more of a game manager type QB who’s warts will be exposed more next season. While we have a small sample size, it appears EJ would have come pretty close to matching Trask’s stats this year as a redshirt frosh, if given the same number of snaps.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Because it's their job? Still can't expect them all to be great... just like the rest of humanity in every existing profession, most people are just not that good.

13. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Wasn't impressed by the announcers. Mute button!

• Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Fair, but Mick has much better access to the program and staff.

These other guys fly in a day early. And travel a lot doing one or two games a week in some cases (With Thursday games) Some of these guys, like our own Mark Wise in hoops, do national stuff in between their local gigs.

15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That didn't bother as much as the sheer number of times that kept referring to ClownU as Florida. If Florida St is too hard to say, just say FSU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Bonnie Bernstein>Jordan Rogers

17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I’d like to add that our pass catchers seem to be caching every single ball thrown their way. So great to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I actually listened to what he was saying (don't blame me, Dos Equis and Fireball combo and I don't drink that much) and he was using the term to mean he was making his progressions and taking the open play, whether it was a deep ball or a short throw. He actually said that a few times. I just don't think the term "game manager" means what he thinks it does. He could have more aptly said he was a patient QB that used all of his weapons. Like a point guard that passes to the open man instead of the best shooter. You know, does his job!

19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Those pro-FSU announcers on the SEC NETWORK were, as was said, dumb as rocks and FSU fans (I know, tautology) They fell all over themselves praising FSU until they realized that FUS was getting slapped all over the field and then went into "the future of FSU" mode. Hope they never call another UF game.

Trask makes quick decisions and gets rid of the ball quickly. He is also seeing the blitz better. He has, however, been lucky that a few of his bad choices were dropped by the team in the other color jersey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Whatever they say, it must be the opposite. I love a guy who "manages" his way to 30/41 for 340 yards and 3 TD's . We need more managers like that.

• Like Like x 1