Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Anyone else sick of Trask being called "a game manager"?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by enviroGator, Dec 2, 2019.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    So during the first half of the FSU game who ever the announcer was kept harping over and over again that Trask was a "game manager". While I found it a bit insulting I also think it is pure BS.

To me a game manager QB is someone who rides a good/great running game and is only called on to throw as a change up. Think Bama's QBs back when they had the stud RBs and were playing 4 yrds and a cloud of dust football. You aren't calling on the QB to win the game for you as much as just not to lose it.

We have NO running game, so we are completely dependent on the passing game and Trask has been carving D's up with his accurate passing and putting up good if not great stats.

I don't get where people are coming up with this "game manager" stuff for Kyle. I think it partly is due to him having been the back up. People still not accepting that he is the real deal.

• Agree x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    I don't stress about what announcers or journalists say.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Game Manager my ass.

Trent Dilfer was a Game Manager. Trask is like Drew Brees out there

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    A solid and successful QB in the style of Danny W. No complaints at all. Those guys knew little about the Gators. Over to you, Chris ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Trask has been one of the great stories in College Football this year.
    Proud of him, what he's done.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  6. chattgator

chattgator Recruit

Jul 17, 2007
    343 yards Passing and 3 TD's vs. arguably (athletes anyway) a quality team in FSU says he's more than a game manager. Great stat on twitter from Nick de la Torre on this....Only 3 QB's since 1996 and 1997 (306 and 362 respectively); Grossman 2002 w/ 303 yards, Trask 2019 with 343 yards. Just because he's efficient doesn't make him a game manager. Bottom line he run's the offense as intended and gets the ball to the play makers consistently. Also Trask is on pace for 9th best passing season in school history. Wonder what it looks like if he even played the first 11 quarters of the year.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    A game manager is not someone who throws the ball on nearly every down. That is just stupid. It is just because he doesn't throw a lot of deep balls. His stats are a little inflated due to how often we throw, but still impressive nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If Trask is a game manager, I will take two please.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think it's insulting, but I don't think it fits Trask either.

To me a game manager is a QB who relies almost solely on other players to make plays and move the offense. Trask on the otherhand makes plays on his own, almost constantly. He's probably responsible for 60-75% of our offensive production.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

A game manager is a QB who can adapt to what he sees the defense is giving him, and can audible almost constantly....
    Trask is a great passing QB who makes his quick read and reelease on a play called in from the sideline, but he's not a game manager..

We have to face the fact that the two clowns in the booth for the FSWho game were just that..clowns, that were both as dumb as a box of rocks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Completely agree with OP. Lazy commentary because the guy isn't asked to push the ball deep down the field (nor do we have the pass protection for that). He is basically the entire offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask is 307 yards away from being in the top 10 list for most passing yards by a GATOR QB in a single season. Other names found on that list:

Shane Matthews
    Danny Wuerffel
    Rex Grossman
    Chris Leak (#10, 2006, 2942)
    Tim Tebow

Trask had 18 pass attempts in the first 3 games (0, 5, 13).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    It seemed to me that Jordan Rodgers has a thing with the term "game manager" and that it shouldn't be considered a negative. He pushed that viewpoint a lot during our game.

14. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    Yea he has better stats than a lot of other QBs that the media seem to love, most notable the uga and texas qbs. Also we've had no running game and he played in two less games. Its really silly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. zoltanuf

zoltanuf GC Legend

Aug 22, 2011
    If Trevor Lawrence or Tua Tagovailoa had transferred in and had the exact same performance this year as Trask, the cfb world would be gushing about the amazing sudden transformation of our offense that had been terrible for a decade and how he'd singlehandedly lifted an otherwise limited team and how lucky we were to be able to steal the nation's best QB. They'd also be scratching their heads and asking "Dan, why are you subbing him out all the time? Who does that with such a top QB?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. lorigatormom

lorigatormom All American

Apr 8, 2007
    It's patently unfair, especially since we had very little running game. If the lights come on for the Oline next year and we can run AND pass, his numbers could be even better.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Relax. In a few months he'll be "Heisman contender"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. sflgator05

sflgator05 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the term game manager has a bad connotation but Dan Mullen is the reason for that. He is the ultimate game manager and puts us in a position to win against every opponent. He had Trask throw plenty of screens against FSU because it is a safe play and our playmakers can do the rest. Until Trask starts throwing bombs downfield he will be looked at as a game manager and im okay with that because the W's are what count

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It was Arron Rogers little brother. He also kept calling fsu "Florida" the whole game. Just horrible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I loved his comments of Game Manager for Trask. But then he slobberknocked the “tremendous athletic” QBs of fsu. He said something about that backup averaging over 10 yards a run and Odell being a genius for using him that way. Then Greenard pummeled him into the ground and he wasn’t seen again.
    I would call Trask more a distributor and a QB that gets the ball to his athletes in stride.

I can’t remember the last great Gator Qb to divvy up the rock to more players. Tebow has Harvin and then Hernandez/Cooper. Leak was good at distributing the ball but still had one or two primary targets. Grossman has Gafney and more Gafney. Wuerrfel had Ike and Riedel. Trask does like Van and Pitts, but he gets it often to Swain, Hammond, Perine, Grimes, and sometimes even Cleveland and Toney. How many receivers we have with over 25 catches this year? My guess is this year we have as many receivers with over 25 catches than we did the entire McGruber era.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1