Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Any word on Dalton?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Apr 13, 2019.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Like the rest of our injured he will be back at the end of January

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

And how did that work out for me?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It is a bad habit for a hitter to break, but going fishing for that low and away breaking ball is not the way to be successful as a hitter. Especially if you also try to pull it.

Dalton has a god given talent at the plate with incredible bat speed. He should be able to take advantage of that by waiting more on pitches and not commit so early.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Lol, 0-4?

You weren't the only one who thought it though, and the actual decision by Sully may have had more to do with Nelly getting hurt.

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    You must have some mutual funds: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Yeah about as well as my Hunter Ruth for Sunday starter

• Like Like x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Probably see him beck in the lineup real soo

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Nelly's had some 0'fer days too. I do kinda like the idea of Kirby being groomed for dh next year.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    At times I've seen Dalton move up in the box and it seems to help him take the ball to RF. I suppose moving up helps reduce the movement on the ball slightly and causes him to make contact earlier in his swing to prevent him from pulling it. I wonder what they have him doing in the batting cage to help him work his way out of it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorheel

gatorheel Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have asked this before--do we have a batting coach, a true expert? Dalton could use some serious adjustments, especially on dealing with curves and sliders to the outside of the plate. Also, Dalton doesn't look as muscular this year. Last year he appeared to have "Popeye" forearms. Is he OK?

11. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Butler was a breath of fresh air on Saturday and he is capable of playing multiple positions including the OF - All of the outfielders have been a bit of a disappointment this year as prior to the SC series their conference batting averages are as follows:
    Langworthy .270
    Dalton .282
    Fabian .135

Might be time to get McMullen and Butler some outfield reps prior to LSU weekend!

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    99—

Agreed we need more offense from all our guys—but—we’ve got to have Fabian’s defense in CF—we won’t survive without it IMHO—

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    I think McMullen will go back to pinch hitter after his spot start. Butler will play somewhere until he cools off - not sure where. Fabian, Young and Dalton have very good speed and cover their turf well and while Langworthy doesn’t have great speed he gets really good reads, takes the right angle and plays a solid outfield. Butler and/or McMullen in the OF would be a huge drop off IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

However at Short we sacrifice defense for hitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    We obviously have opted for an offensive minded approach as we don’t have the pieces to improve the defense . We are who we are. Particularly up the middle with C, SS , 2B and CF. Fabian ain’t coming out because of guarantees Sully made to get a kid to leave HS. He can hit .050 in SEC play and we will watch him defend nicely . This is and will be a very inconsistent team so just enjoy the process of building for a better tomorrow .

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I think the updated averages are as follows:
    Langworthy .292
    Dalton .268
    Fabian .191(good weekend 4-10)

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agree with all points here—SS defensively seems to have a mind of his own for technique—you match that with JY’s arm action throwing and we may very well have an all-time low @ UF for double plays turned for a season—

I, fortunately, over all of my baseball days (as both player and coach) have had the pleasure of +catchers as starters—
    Great techniques, as well as skills will truly spoil you—coaches, players, and fans alike—

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    He is getting better with more reps. A long way to go to match what we have become accustomed to, but getting better.
    The catcher is the most important jewel in the timepiece that is a great defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    It really is puzzling how Sully missed the boat on catcher this year . We have several on team that just aren’t what we have been spoiled with. I know some will say , he lost them to draft, but Sully truly has a pulse on all that stuff that would amaze you. It really just boils down to his miss on Brady’s skill set back there at the end of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    is that you Yogi?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1