Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Any word on Dalton?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I certainly agree with Sully shaking things up but I have to wonder if Dalton is still a regular, as crazy as it sounds, or is he dealing with injury, personal problems or just needs rest? It doesn't look like anyone on the team is going to get close to 19 HRs this year. Also don't forget Dalton started off hot last year as our lead off hitter but hit so many HRs early he moved back to clean up behind India, who then finished with 21 HRs. If he gets back to starting maybe Sully tries him batting 9th to amp up the bottom of the order? What a strange year for Dalton.
    What do you think should happen with Dalton? We certainly need a big bat like his can be.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    He hits he plays
    He no hit, Armstrong or Butler plays.
    Right now (and for a while), he no hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Certainly agree, I'm already wondering what Sully will do with the line up when we take the field in Baton Rouge? Also who will rotate on the mound other than Mace and Dyson? He's got to be hoping we win at least one on Thursday or Friday to hope for the best on Saturday. I say whoever he starts game 3 only goes 3 innings, anything more would be very protective. Maybe hope Scott can get the first three innings, Leuthje the next three, and Pogue goes until Crisp needs to finish. Try to limit the times these batters get to see a pitcher.

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I just like that you keep saying Dalton so much :)

Seriously though, imo he just hasnt seemed willing or able to adjust to the holes in his swing. He could somewhat get away with obscene strikeouts in last years lineup, this year we just cant afford it. We all love the extra base hits, but there are times when you gotta protect or get the ball in play

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well said, oh yeah, his name is Wilson.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Personally, I think Dalton should be in the lineup if healthy. Coaches stuck with langworthy and it has paid off. Dalton Also, is a good outfielder.
    I assumed he was hurt when he didn't even get a pH attempt today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

I’ve said this before—last year was his first year in the league and while he wasn’t familiar with the pitching he was facing, they had no real book on him either—he obviously had a big year—

This year ALL of our opponents have had a chance to see him play, scout his tendencies, and have a game plan for how to attack him—in most cases it’s been to use his own aggressiveness against him—

I really wish he could get back on track and get on a roll—we could surely be better with him hitting well—

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Who is going to come in after Dyson in the 4 th?

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Just wish he would use the field and keep that bat in the hitting zone longer. His approach is reckless and without a plan and it’s bs. It’s telling me he is on his own agenda and not the teams. This hurt this team .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agreed wing—
    We’ve all seen him hit balls “oppo”as hard as anybody we’ve got on the middle-away pitches, which is exactly where he should be hitting them—

And then to continually see the dead pull swing on the down and away slider at its best creating a weak ground ball to the SS is very frustrating—

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You said it better and more bluntly than me. We need him, but he has gotta change his approach

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    apk—

@wingtee blunt??? Surely you jest!;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Really good week for Specht and Leuthje, assume their roles increase. Crisp and Ruth have taken steps back...lord knows who closes at this point.
    Hopefully Leftwich is back this week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I don’t know the kid but TV showed him squatting in angst on Friday after Nelly was thrown out at home on his triple. He seems to care about the team.

Now his hitting approach, I am not qualified to coach him up but he clearly struggles with offspeed. That said, his SEC only stats are better than Jacob Young. For example, his OPS is .100 points higher than Young. Obviously they don’t play the same position if Young stays at 2B but Young in RF and Dalton on the bench (Friday’s lineup) doesn’t make a lot of sense to me unless it is a message Sully is trying to send. Or maybe Sully has stats on productive outs that are not obvious in the normal stats?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Leuthje has to get a start in BR right? Sully has tried everything else.

16. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I love Dalton in the lineup when he is hitting but,.... the team is in the home stretch of the regular season. As a coach, I think you have to play the guys that are producing right now. If Dalton is going to see the field again, I think he's going to have to see it in a platoon role for now or situational at bats. I think other guys have shown they can hit. Got nothing against Dalton at all but it's just the way it is. (my view) There are so many philosophical routes a coach can go..... It's a tough choice for Sully. He has shown he can lead and make the hard calls, gotta trust him whatever route he goes with this. Never would have guessed Jordan Butler could put up what he did today. Showed great bat speed and power to different parts of the field. What a day! I'm just glad that there are some options.

GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm guessing Dyson starts the second game at LSU and we have to hope he can make it into the 5-6 innings. The 3 inning approach is for the 3rd game to try and simplify our approach and just ask these young pitchers to just go get 3 outs at a time. We all know how brutal it can get at LSU and these young guys will have to focus more than ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Dalton had more protection in lineup surrounding him in the batting order last year. Teams had to pitch to him. They now have a lot of film and better scouting reports. Opposing pitchers have made adjustments and now it is up to Dalton to do the same. They say you usually see hitters have difficulty at different levels of minor leagues as well. Most stall in transition from Double A to Triple A, as they can’t adjust when pitchers have the skill to attack your weakness, whether a certain type pitch (slider), the change in velocity of each pitch, or the Improvement in control of pitch location

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Well maybe you can convince Greg , hell I can’t. I’ll take JY in my lineup any day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I thought it was interesting with the line up changes.
    Stroke of genius to insert Butler.

But, then again, several posters here offered alternative line ups....@wingtee suggested Kirby, for instance. Is Sully reading the forum?