Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Any truth the reason two 3’s is because the special teams “coach” never updated his depth chart?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tdkrn12, Sep 3, 2023.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Good Lord!

2. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    We all know how this ends.

What a mess.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I understand...and I think it's ridiculous. Especially if there's even a chance of that penalty.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tdkrn12

tdkrn12 Junior

Nov 13, 2022
    Rochester
    What happened to the days of SOS where you get 1 number no duplicate numbers. Still remember the story Bates tells about Bush wanting to wear 44. SOS turned to Bush and his mom and said, “well he won’t wear it if he’s a Gator”

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Let this sink in. A lot of DIV 1 Teams have over 100 players on the roster. UF has
    I just did some homework (AKA google) and the rule is
    "Come game day, the head coach is only allowed to "dress" 47 players for a game. This means there are six players on the active roster who are not allowed to play in a game. That number can increase to 48 players suiting up as long as the team suits up at least eight offensive linemen."

At first the 47/48 rule does not seem much like a bid deal that can lead to duplicate numbers. However, there is that chance when teams like UF have over 100 players on the rooster.

Link: https://footballadvantage.com/how-m...ay, the head,at least eight offensive linemen.

6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IF Billy has a system, and it is non-negotiable, he needs to do the correct thing. And it isn't to hire an assistant in charge of the copy machine.

Or is it the assistant to the assistant in charge of the copy machine?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The guys were so scared from what happened, 3 others decided not to go out on FG defense, just in case there were multiple "00" jerseys.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yep.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I know the right guy

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. An updated roster… now that is a GAME CHANGER!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gooberpeas

gooberpeas All American

Jan 4, 2021
    In the South Carolina game they had two guys on the field with the same number they had to use a timeout to get one of them off the field and they have the best STC in the business of college football. After watching South Carolina I don’t feel as bad about our loss. Rattler sacked 9 times and Trevor had more rushing yards than the entire running back room for South Carolina. They had -2 yards rushing. Lswho has a big problem they have no db room. After priding themselves for years as dub. The reason for this is one name Corey Raymond. He is our db coach. Kelly did not want him Billy did. We have young db’s but they will be awesome as the season goes because they have the best position coach to ever grace a sideline. It’s coming!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  13. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    Sigh. Hopefully it gets better. A missed field goal and a shanked punk by great players is hard to blame on a coach. The first fair catch within 10 yards by a true freshman is also hard to blame on a coach. The 2nd time… well… either EW3 is a slow learner or it’s the old spurrier quote of it’s my fault for putting you on the field. I say that jokingly because we all know we will find a way to get that guy on the field regardless. Game 1.
    - The two #3s was dumb but I can see how it could happen. We’re not the first school to have it happen but we like to act like we are. Ideally someone sees it and calls timeout. Even more ideal… it never happens to begin with. I’m guessing it won’t happen again given the backlash. If it does, someone’s head will roll

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    The duplicate numbers should be a one time mistake, attention to details... that I doubt he makes again. The punting shank happens, and are frustrating, but you are correct he can hardly be blamed for that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s stupid to have duplicate numbers

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Allow triple digit numbers.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    This wasn't just this game..it was all last year. Like every damn game...over and over. Blocks in the back on every return that wasn't fair caught. I cant even go into the disaster our ST was last year. When you see your team starting consistently inside their own 10 if they make an attempt to return anything you know why we resorted to fair catches all the time. Its teachable...really it is.

Urban wanted to use ST to break opponents and make quick changes in the game as a result. He was always our ST coach he thought so much of it. When you quantify there are probably 20 special teams plays a game. Getting an extra 10 yards here and there equals what you get from a great day from a running back or wr....and we treat it like it has no value. Its 200 plus yards or 200 minus yards assuming your returner doesn't take one to the house (and fire up the fans). I say this because it hasn't got better one bit from day 1 under BN and has in fact got worse. You have to point the finger the right direction and if it isn't corrected that finger points back to the coach. I hope Im wrong but trivializing ST is a disaster on the field.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Everyone knows single digit jerseys are slimming.

:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Why? 0-99 is 100 numbers to give out to 85 players... plenty of numbers to go around.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    I guess I’m looking for specifics at this point. Fair catches and 5 yard punt returns was on one guy last year that I thought was capable of breaking one but never came close that I remember. He was sure to catch the punt though so there’s something to that. Maybe for that reason we stuck with him yearlong.
    Block in the backs could potentially be called every play just like holding on the offensive line.
    Help me remember the other special teams issues from last year