Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Any news re Gibbs or Clayton?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by lizardbreath, Jan 26, 2020.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I mean I get why he is recruiting one. 5 on roster, many have injury histories, he's not sure if people are going to pan out, etc. No reason not to recruit one if a good one wants to come. But I don't think it's as high a priority as other positions, but yes, you could be right. Maybe he is pushing for one because he is worried about the position. IDK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Dude. The knock on Knox is his recruiting, not his coaching. Elite guys do both. An elite staff can carry a few who aren’t strong recruiters but they need to be offset by some ace recruiters. Oh, and the reason the RB discussion is in AR is because the issue is RB recruiting, not coaching.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Dude, we have several RB's on this team. Dude Pierce will probably start but what if... I mean what if.... Clement or Davis or Wright or Lingard get coached up???
    SOS, gotta coach em up!! Not every player can be an AA!!

Now you and Shane and Cooper and others just keep the hope alive that we fire a good coach! No way 3 star players on the roster can get better, I guess that's these dude's logic?

Again I do enjoy these differences of opinion... I like English as a coach and wait for it, as a recruiter... We landed Lingard somehow and that nailed down Tea Williams :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    It is hard to know exactly what we have on the roster now. Perrine and Pierce were both really strong and there were precious few carries for them behind last year's shaky run blocking and hardly any for anyone else. Davis didn't look like the same player in his limited carries and the others didn't do anything to distinguish themselves during their rare opportunities, hence, we have the uneasiness...

5. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I have hesitated about making this post. For all I know, Gibbs is the absolute truth. I graduated from high school in Dalton (not DHS). High school football in North GA is weak as skim piss. Now, it appears DHS is playing a more Atlanta-area based schedule than they did 20 years ago. But anything north of cartersville/Calhoun, should be viewed with a bit of skepticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    We obviously need a solid running back in this class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think we have one in Lingard. Wright was very good RB recruit according to South Florida HS coaches, especially if he is fully recovered from his HS injuries now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I haven’t mentioned Knox in posts. I’ll go back and check but pretty sure I didn’t mention him at all.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No need to re read anything but I will tell you that if we lose our top 2 QBs were in deep trouble! Lol

And if we lose 5 of our 7 WRs were doomed too.....end of the world!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I've asked several times why is Gibbs so much better than Jalen White.

Seven of Dalton's opponents are vs really bad football teams.
    Ringgold
    NW Witfield
    Sequoia
    Creekview
    River Ridge
    S. Cobb
    Osborn
    *Dalton went 7-0 vs those guys and outscored them 376-64 ... yeah, those are really really BAD teams.

Dalton went 0-4 vs the better teams and were outscored 128-70. On paper it looks like he had a good game vs Harrison (state champions) but his production came in the 4th quarter of a blow out loss (42-21).

Maybe Gibbs is legit but I'm tellin' ya, seven of his opponents were identical to White's opponents.

I've watched a lot of film over the years and I personally like what I saw on Knighton. He hit the hole with power/speed, squared up quickly and accelerated into contact...and it looked like his competition was stout.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. awells05

awells05 Junior

Apr 23, 2009
    Vero Beach, Florida
    For whatever reason the hate on Jalen White is quite heavy. He does not have a great burst, but he seems very athletic and runs pretty strong. He is a little more upright then I would like to see for a feature back (if that still exists) but he could certainly learn that here. He does not have a great offer list so obviously other D1 coaches do not love him either. I am just not sure what the hate is all about.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That's little strong. Who here is professing anything even remotely like hate towards him?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure Jalen White has been to a few camps where he has been timed, measured and had a chance to participate in drills. I can only guess he didn't do well enough to warrant an offer from most D1 schools.
    For all I know he runs a 5.2 40 and has a 20" vertical.

....which is why I assume Gibbs is being pursued by a lot of schools based on the competition he faced. (he did well in the camps).

Give me fantastic OL coach and the meanest high school OL you can find ... and it won't matter who you hand the ball off to. We have a great coach but our OL is two years away from having the right personnel on the field where it won't matter who carries the ball.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Jalen White is no longer visiting this weekend per source Blake Alderman.

15. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    ‘Hate’ seems out of place, just saying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    You’re still missing the point, so Let me spell it out.

No one here is down on RB coaching, the concern is RB recruiting by the RB coach. Oh, and we’re discussion RB recruiting shortcomings (such that they are) in a recruiting forum, which seems like an appropriate place for it.

Bringing up the fact that we have RBs on the team and that one of them will start, is obvious, and has exactly nothing to do with the RB recruiting concern(s).

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. roflcopter

roflcopter GC Legend

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia

18. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Per 247 Sports, Recruiting Rankings.
    GREG KNOX - NO. 691 (NO. 126 SEC)
    :(:eek::rolleyes:

19. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's a fair point that our running back recruiting has been bad. Our running back recruiting has been historically bad since the late 80s. For whatever reason, we do not attract top-end running backs. In the past 30 seasons, our highest recruited guys are Fred Taylor, Ciatrick Fason and Chris Rainey. Kelvin Taylor was also highly sought after, but in the same way that Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders' sons were highly recruited (i.e. when you're son of a great player, you get instant respect)

That's like 3 guys in 30 years. I think Chris Rainey was the highest RB Urban Meyer brought into Florida? Maybe Moody? Don't think he was a five-star though. All those five-stars and none of them were at RB for a legendary coach with known recruiting pedigree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then you look at the guys like Errict Rhett, Matt Jones, Mike Gillislee, Lamical Perine etc They were all highly-recruited, but I don't remember any of them being considered best-of-the-best and many other schools got guys who were higher. Of our top running backs, I think only Fred got a conference championships (in additional to a natty). We have been just fine with the guys we have had.

Meanwhile, Florida State and Miami and Georgia and elsewhere have all had tons of talent at RB, but only Florida State could do anything and that was 6 years ago. I would rather have great linemen and a QB who can pressure defenses. After Smith, we have had a tough go of it.

20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Check out Clayton’s recent twitter posting.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1