Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Any More Issues/Complaints About White's Recruiting?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by madgator, Oct 3, 2018.

1. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Didn't think so!!!!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When White was hired one of our posters Bullis said that White's way of recruiting would not work and that we had to sell out to the AAU handlers like FSU was doing. Coach White has been doing it the right way.

3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    This class is now ranked #4th nationally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Does CJ Clark still visit on the 12th?

5. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I was one who stated that White was a good coach but not a great hire because he couldn't recruit well in the SEC. I was right again. 2 5-stars and one 4. It should have been all 5-stars. See, I told you he couldn't recruit.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I had faith in him from the start. Just really like the guy. He was working those relationships and looked to me like BD 2.0. I have thought about some of those posters who said he was a good coach but was ill prepared for recruiting in the SEC.

Fast learner evidently.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    He’s exceeding my expectations.

Shows what relentless effort can manifest on the recruiting trail! Doing it “the right way”, pays off in the end, too!

Effort, hustle, an eye for talent. Success on the court, Determination. It’s all working together! Now, getting success in the recruiting realm.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Hmmm, really 2 5* and one very High 4*, not way down on the list like Horford & Noah.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If he starts loading up every class with a bunch of one-and-dones I will complain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I was a little worried after his 2016 and 2017 classes, because I felt he should have had time to do a little more even in a "transition". Esp with 2016, which effectively is just Dontay Basset now. 2017 wasn't a bad class even on paper, but it did feel like we were scrambling a bit after Shai ditched us. We got the xfers which plugged some holes, but it wasnt ideal. That was the year I felt like White could have had his first "monster" class having a year and a half to build relationships. Of course the jury is still out in this class, at least 4 of 4 will be on the roster this year, so with a year under their belts maybe they'll all show us something.

That being said, he certainly proved he has an eye for identifying talent with both his transfers and some of the recruits he's been on early before they've blown up in the rankings. 2018 was the first time he really seemed to get most of the players he was after, that class already put my mind at ease (even some of the "near misses" we had, showed me he wasn't going to shy away from the top ranked players). 2019 seems like a tsunami where he got all his #1 targets.

The only negative might be losing guys to the NBA early since all of a sudden we have signed 3 top 20 ish players in 2 years. But even then, I only see it as an issue if we end up turning over 3 or 4 players early right at the same time. Even if you lose a 1 and done, you are still in great shape, esp considering our scholarships are maxed out right at 13.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh, take it down a notch. Setting aside Bullis and a couple other folks, there were a bunch of posters either expressing reasonable concerns or adopting a wait and see attitude toward White's recruiting. And White has addressed those concerns.

If we bring in a player without a reputation as a good perimeter shooter and I say, "I worry about whether he'll hit enough threes to provide adequate spacing," and then in his junior year he starts hitting 38 percent of his threes, the takeaway there is not, "Ha ha, people who were worried about his shooting were ridiculous."

Mike White is a highly paid professional. People can question him. It's OK.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    But, has his performance allayed those initial fears?

14. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    If this FBI thing went down a few years ago we'd have players like Nassir Little in the program right now. I think White and staff know they were very close to getting elite talents and have stuck to their strategy since day 1. It's the atmosphere that's changing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. manigordo

Fair enough, but he took a team from a dumpster to the Elite 8, and has improved recruiting every year. He built the relationships that landed this year's class when he first got there.

There is a big difference between wondering how he will do, to all of the naysayers who said he could not recruit at the SEC level after 2 years on the job.

Wondering how he might do is not only fair, it is reasonable. But we heard tons of definitive opinions about how he was a good guy who was over his head.

Seems more than fair to offer a reminder of that and to celebrate that they guy has most bases covered quite well.

As far as questioning in the future. He will make a bonehead play, use the clock wrong, or make another mistake as a coach. It happens, deserves discussion, etc. But THAT is the time time keep things in perspective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. manigordo

Agreed. MW and UF are the beneficiaries.

17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well Cinn / Man - That's what I was "hoping" for but skeptical.
    Perhaps the climate is changing and the scumbags are temporarily
    at bay a bit.

Think the facilities upgrades and CMW's march to the great 8 two years ago helped. Now coach has to get the next two years team's successful on the court
    and I believe that will happen.

Looking forward to see this group tip it off against the Nole's this year.
    I suspect UF will have a much better won lost record if our kids stay healthy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. denyken12

denyken12 Premium Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Well we all know now he can bring in top players. Nothing wrong thinking he might not have been able too at Fla.
    We now know he can coach with the best.
    All that is left is can he win it all?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes, absolutely. As with all things, consistency and follow-through are important - White has to keep the recruiting train going in the years to come. But there's now every reason to think he can.

Doesn't mean it was unreasonable to initially ask if he could.

• Like Like x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree with you. . . though I think you are watering it down a bit.

There were, at times, more than reasonable questioning or 'initally asking'. Heck, Buddy Martin's podcast at the end of last season had a segment regarding Coach White being on the hot seat. It was embarrassing.

Scott Stricklin felt compelled to tweet his support for White following the idiot brigade making noise on social media.

Florida AD Scott Stricklin tweets support of Gators basketball coach Mike White

Look, this is not unique to Florida. Fans have an instant gratification mentality. That, combined with being a relatively unknown coach taking over for a legend at a traditional non-basketball school . .. did put White in the crosshairs of some unwarranted scrutiny and criticism. But, as you pointed out . . . he makes the big bucks and can handle it.

Still, I think it is fair to mock those who were overly critical. Well, maybe not fair . . . but it is fun! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1